Brew Magic sparge mod. Good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromhereon

Reaction score
So we got our brew magic recently and noticed we are having difficulty sparging on high gravity batches. For these we’ll only do 5 gallon batches. The problem begins when we do a mash out at 168. The grains swell and it becomes very hard to keep an inch of water on top of the grains. One of my biggest concerns is the amount of water needed to be added to get that inch above the grains diluting the mash. I think this is reflected in the 70% efficiency we got on a system that should be capable of up to 90%.

Okay so my simple solution was hooking up the old fly sparge we used to use, to the mash inlet. Of course we would only use this for these high gravity beers but I don’t like the idea of trying to modify the process, when it obviously works the way it does for a reason.

I guess my question can anyone give me a reason not to use a fly sparge with the brew magic or have any idea what might be causing our problem in the first place?

Thanks in advance.

what is your definition of a "fly sparge"?

fly sparging is a process, and not an object... normally

Back