Sparging in a Herms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Noob but I'm very new to the idea of electric brewing. Considering a HERMS. If we use the HLT to strike and heat the mash for any steps, how do you use that same HLT to sparge? I ask because a video on you tube says to just fill the HLT with tap water as its composition is unimportant for the HERMS purpose.

Not wanting a no-sparge or similar process, just looking for a traditional fly-sparge pumped over the mash for runoff. 4 total vessels, "HLT" which is really a HERMS coil vessel, and a dedicated true HLT for sparge and lautering?

3 vessels. Once you are ready to sparge you no longer need the water in your hlt to heat the coil, so you use that water as your sparge water into your mash tun.

Edit: personally I pump the water from my hlt back through my herms coil and into my mash tun as sparge water to flush out the coil at the same time as sparging.

Seems if you set the temp of the HLT to your desired sparge temp you do not need a 4th vessel. You will may have slower steps and hard to get to a mashout temp.

Could also heat your HLT higher than your desired sparge temp to get faster steps then cool it back with some cold water before you sparge.

I am a RIMS brewer so no direct experience.

3 vessels. Once you are ready to sparge you no longer need the water in your hlt to heat the coil, so you use that water as your sparge water into your mash tun.

Edit: personally I pump the water from my hlt back through my herms coil and into my mash tun as sparge water to flush out the coil at the same time as sparging.
OK, so her saying use plain tap water in the HLT for recirc is odd, then - treat sparge water with salts/acids as usual, then use that water for sparging, as usual?

And, sorry, unclear how you use the HLT water for purging and lautering - if it's a closed loop, MLT out-pump 1 in - pump 1 out - coil in HLT in-Coil in HLT out - top of mash bed and through again, how do you actually get the HLT water itself through to lauter the mash? (not my best suit, even elementary home "engineering, as you can see).

Sorry, I think I get it now. The HLT has 4, maybe 5 ports:

1. liquor out to pump inlet; pump outlet to liquor in.
2. Heating element port to heat HLT water.
3. Herms coil in.
4. Herms coil out.
5. (Possibly) thermometer probe port.

1. Strike water. Basically, heat the HLT to strike temps via HLT in and outs through the pump, and the heating element heating the HLT liquor.

2. Mash. Mash recirc, switches to pump 2. MT inlet high, MT outlet low into pump 2 in, to coil inlet on HLT to coil out on HLT to high port on MT. Complete mash.

3. Runoff and lauter. MT out through pump 2 into pump 2 in to BK in. HLT liquor out to pump 1 in to pump 1 out to high MT port for lautering.

-right?

Last edited:
Yes I treat my hlt water.

Once your mash is complete and you're ready to sparge you move your hoses. So..

Mlt out, pump1 in, pump 1 out, boil kettle in.

Hlt out, pump 2 in, pump 2 out, herms coil in, herms coil out, mlt in.

If that makes sense

Ideally your HLT will have the total water volume for your brew, but in practice and depending on your specific gear, once the strike water is used you'll have to top it up just to keep the HERMS coil immersed and then heat it up all over again. That's why I chose to go with a RIMS instead. You don't want to sparge with tap-water, but the salts/acids aren't required for sparging as they are specific to the mash all that's left to do is 'rinse' the grains.

Yes I treat my hlt water.

Once your mash is complete and you're ready to sparge you move your hoses. So..

Mlt out, pump1 in, pump 1 out, boil kettle in.

Hlt out, pump 2 in, pump 2 out, herms coil in, herms coil out, mlt in.

If that makes sense Do

Sorry, still confused then. For the lautering, I get pump 1 - basically pumping wort over to BK. But if the coil isn't actually "open" to the HLT water, how do we get water into pump 2 to transfer over to MT in? Don't we need herms coil in and out, and a separate outlet port (allowing sparge water into the transfer system over to MT) on the HLT, into pump 2?

Edit: Got it. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Check out Brew Day Step by Step at the Electric Brewery site. Shows hose connections and flow for a typical HERMS set-up.

The only thing I do differently - I heat my mash water in the boil kettle at the same time I'm heating the HERMS/HLT/Sparge water.
LOL, that's the link I have above. Yep, never saw the site before and this page lays it out wonderfully well. And cool idea on using the BK for the mash water, thanks. So both the BK and HLT have a heating element, but not the MT, right?

You don't want to sparge with tap-water, but the salts/acids aren't required for sparging as they are specific to the mash all that's left to do is 'rinse' the grains.
Actually, many brewers should be acidifying their sparge water, if it has significant alkalinity, in order to prevent excess tannin extraction during the sparge. All you have to do is add enough lactic or phosphoric acid to the tap water to bring the pH to about 5.6. Then the sparge cannot raise the pH of the mash significantly.

Brew on :mug:

Actually, many brewers should be acidifying their sparge water, if it has significant alkalinity, in order to prevent excess tannin extraction during the sparge. All you have to do is add enough lactic or phosphoric acid to the tap water to bring the pH to about 5.6. Then the sparge cannot raise the pH of the mash significantly.

+1, that's me. Waiting on Ward's and I filter but our city supply is high, 300 (CaCO3) on average.

One question, and I've been out a long time and have forgotten so much. I get that the addition of salts to the mash aids in conversion by helping get into mash conversion pH range, and that we don't want to leach tannins by an high pH HLT (or take runoff to too low a gravity), but what about flavor components to minerals in the water. E.g., from what I read of both @Northern_Brewer and @cire, the mineral content of the Yorkshire beers can be much higher than people presume.

If we just salt the mash and not the sparge, won't we be diluting our final salt ppms? IIRC correctly I used to maintain a "stock" water used in both mashing and sparging, and acidified as needed in either/both MT and HLT. Works, right?

Last edited:

Thanks! I can always count you for busting myths I picked up online. :bigmug:

LOL, that's the link I have above. Yep, never saw the site before and this page lays it out wonderfully well. And cool idea on using the BK for the mash water, thanks. So both the BK and HLT have a heating element, but not the MT, right?
Correct. You do need an outlet and control panel capable of firing both elements at the same time. :mug:

Right, I am only capable for firing 1 element at a time. So I heat my strike water via the herms coil, that way I dont have to worry about losing volume in hlt. I fill my hlt to cover the herms coil and fill my mash tun with the proper mash water volume and run the strike water through the herms coil as my hlt heat up, heating both at the same time. Once at temp I mash in and continue recirculating.

First, I'll have to get this off my chest. 3 vessel brewing sucks donkey. If you're not a commercial brewer making 1BBL or bigger batches and don't need the economy of the absolutely highest extraction, it's just a bunch of wasted time, money and energy compared to single vessel eBIAB (bag or basket). eBIAB offers faster system startup, faster step mashing, more intuitive water/pH calculation and correction, and faster cleanup. Change my mind.

That feels better. Now, attached is a pretty decent explanation of HERMS if I do say so myself. I personally like (again, "like" is a strong word for a system like this) heating my strike water directly in the MLT passively through the HERMS coil because the whole system comes up to temp and there's no goofing around with transfers or hose changes before doughing in. In fact, with this method, you don't change a single hose until you start sparging.

Attachments

• HERMSillustrated.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
@Bobby_M
I hate it when you beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel!

One disadvantage of BIAB is that you are more limited in maximum gravity, even for smaller batches. I make 5-6 gallon batches in a 15g kettle and once my OG hits about 1.100 efficiency drops into the 50% range. Definitely an edge case and you aren't wrong, but not having to do full volume mashes and being able to sparge has advantages.

Even though I'm a dirty, single vessel brewer this thread has been fun to read through.

Well @Bobby_M I'll agree with the second part of your statement as obviously I brew on a 3v2p system, and my process is exactly as you mentioned there. The first part, well that's your opinion and I'll leave it at that.
People are definitely free to make brewing harder than it has to be if it adds to their enjoyment. The fact that one has to draw 20 illustrations to explain how it works is pretty indicative of its complex nature. I've brewed on every system configuration. I've been hired many times to go teach people how to brew on systems like the Spike Trio because they dropped 8 grand on maximum shiny things without knowing what they were getting into. My points about the pros and cons stand, though if the OP doesn't want to hear it, that's OK with me too.

@Bobby_M
I hate it when you beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel!

One disadvantage of BIAB is that you are more limited in maximum gravity, even for smaller batches. I make 5-6 gallon batches in a 15g kettle and once my OG hits about 1.100 efficiency drops into the 50% range. Definitely an edge case and you aren't wrong, but not having to do full volume mashes and being able to sparge has advantages.

Even though I'm a dirty, single vessel brewer this thread has been fun to read through.
Sure, I'll brew a 1.100 OG batch about once every two years so it's edge for me but you CAN still sparge those or augment with DME. I just take the efficiency hit for 1/24th of my brew sessions.

both elements at the same time
Not truly necessary. I heat my mash and sparge water together in my BK (while milling grain), transfer sparge water to the HLT, mash in, switch power from BK to HERMS HLT, recirculate, sparge to the BK, switch power back to BK (mid-sparge to get a jump on the boil once the element is covered), and boil.

Noob but I'm very new to the idea of electric brewing. Considering a HERMS. If we use the HLT to strike and heat the mash for any steps, how do you use that same HLT to sparge? I ask because a video on you tube says to just fill the HLT with tap water as its composition is unimportant for the HERMS purpose.

Not wanting a no-sparge or similar process, just looking for a traditional fly-sparge pumped over the mash for runoff. 4 total vessels, "HLT" which is really a HERMS coil vessel, and a dedicated true HLT for sparge and lautering?

It's your hard earned money; get what you want! Couple HERMS info for ya:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0152/1071/files/Flat_Bottom_Trio.pdf?v=1678900211

People are definitely free to make brewing harder than it has to be if it adds to their enjoyment. The fact that one has to draw 20 illustrations to explain how it works is pretty indicative of its complex nature. I've brewed on every system configuration. I've been hired many times to go teach people how to brew on systems like the Spike Trio because they dropped 8 grand on maximum shiny things without knowing what they were getting into. My points about the pros and cons stand, though if the OP doesn't want to hear it, that's OK with me too.
OP is interested in anything.

Never thought of BiaB because of perceived poor efficiencies, and needing a pretty large vessel to handle even moderate OGs (brewing British, I rarely do bombs and when I do, I brew a shorter brewlength). But I know nothing and again, am totally open to learning more. I will admit, I like bright shiny mini-me's of a commercial brewery. My former 20 gallon Spike.
CU Ugly Betty II in driveway.jpg

Everyone's homebrew setup is or should be setup to their needs and wants. I brew 15 gallon batches usually, and can do 25 if my heart desires. Is an eherms complicated... no, its it more cleanup... no, and wait, biab makes water ph and water adjustments easier... um, no. Is it faster... I don't see how. It all, heat, mash, boil, cool, clean. Whether its sv or 3v it's still the same process. One benefit to svbs is the footprint. 3v is not harder or complicated in any way.

Everyone's homebrew setup is or should be setup to their needs and wants. I brew 15 gallon batches usually, and can do 25 if my heart desires. Is an eherms complicated... no, its it more cleanup... no, and wait, biab makes water ph and water adjustments easier... um, no. Is it faster... I don't see how. It all, heat, mash, boil, cool, clean. Whether its sv or 3v it's still the same process. One benefit to svbs is the footprint. 3v is not harder or complicated in any way.
I'm a luddite. I'm not exaggerating. Honestly, I don't mind labor and in general have a distrust of reliance on digital anything, great example are today's cars - I loathe so much reliance on electronics. I'm not quite slavishly following the old monks dictum, who bereft of a thermometer apparently used to mash in when the steam quality on the water surface gets a certain sheen, but you know....

So, I like simple and to me it doesn't really get simpler than a 3V gas system - and when I started out, that meant a one-level system and I simply sparged and ran-off by hand, with ladles, etc. And made really good beer. However, and this might be weird for some folks as they've never had an issue, but brewing on propane, even outdoors, I got debilitating headaches which sometimes approached the emergent - I can recall a brew where I had to come inside drenched in sweat and a blinding headache, all I could do to sit in the chair and wait it out. So, gas has gotten old.

Anyway, that's my bent but I'm open to new things. I'd love to brew indoors, and so this is an attractive option. I appreciate all the info, Bailey et al.

+1, that's me. Waiting on Ward's and I filter but our city supply is high, 300 (CaCO3) on average.

One question, and I've been out a long time and have forgotten so much. I get that the addition of salts to the mash aids in conversion by helping get into mash conversion pH range, and that we don't want to leach tannins by an high pH HLT (or take runoff to too low a gravity), but what about flavor components to minerals in the water. E.g., from what I read of both @Northern_Brewer and @cire, the mineral content of the Yorkshire beers can be much higher than people presume.

If we just salt the mash and not the sparge, won't we be diluting our final salt ppms? IIRC correctly I used to maintain a "stock" water used in both mashing and sparging, and acidified as needed in either/both MT and HLT. Works, right?
Yes, you want flavor ions (Cl, SO4, etc.) to be at a particular concentration in the final wort, and you want your Ca level to be above a minimum (50+ ppm) for good yeast performance, IIRC. And yes, the sparge will dilute the ion concentrations if the sparge water has less of those ions than the strike water. Easiest way to avoid that problem is to have the same level of flavor and Ca ions in both the sparge water and strike water. You may have additional acid or base in the strike water in order to hit a good mash pH range.

Re "sucks donkey": how colorful, Bobby.

If I were just getting started I might well go with BIAB. Bobby's previous advocacy is pretty convincing. I might even convert one day. But my 3V brewing preceded the BIAB thing and works well.

No $8K in shiny vessels: my three stainless vessels (Spike HLT & BK, Chapman MT) have bling like Bobby's sweet BIAB rig, and totalled under $1K, though I've spent thousands on other gear over the years.

To convert wouldn't be huge: probably just a false bottom, bag/basket, and one or more additional BK ports.

Mashing in a bag, which I did for a while in the early 90s, was the only time I've had stuck sparges, so my initial response to the rise of BIAB was, "Meh." Of course, all that came before the Wilser bag (and the word "meh" :) )

Yes, you want flavor ions (Cl, SO4, etc.) to be at a particular concentration in the final wort, and you want your Ca level to be above a minimum (50+ ppm) for good yeast performance, IIRC. And yes, the sparge will dilute the ion concentrations if the sparge water has less of those ions than the strike water. Easiest way to avoid that problem is to have the same level of flavor and Ca ions in both the sparge water and strike water. You may have additional acid or base in the strike water in order to hit a good mash pH range.

OK thanks, Doug.

Thanks Don. I think I must be being naive....I know electric brewing is higher in startup costs than the typical gas rig, but $3500 for a used system - is that fairly typical, with new systems costing much more? I'd thought of diy'ing, just for the project, but I'm wondering if I'm just way off as to capital costs.

Compared to eBIAB yes a 3 vessel HERMS is complicated and I can list it all out. Have you brewed on an eBIAB? I get the feeling that you haven't based on what you're saying there.

Complexity:
One vessel vs three.
One heated vessel vs two.
One pump vs two, not to mention negotiating the flow of sparge and wort runoff.
System offset temps. The mash temp is never the same as the HLT temp so system offset has to be considered and it changes depending on the ambient temps. Again, one can adjust to this but you can't argue that it's not added complexity.

Water:
One volume of water is adjusted with one dose of salts and acid. The pH of the mash stays mostly steady whereas sparging will drift the pH the whole time unless you acidify your sparge water.

Time:
More total water has to be heated to get started, all the strike water as well as all the HLT water to keep the HERMS submerged.
It is more to clean up. Scoop out the grain from the mash tun, take the false bottom out. Hose the MLT out. That can be done while the boil is going on, but you still have to do it. Then you clean the boil kettle just like I clean mine. Rinsing the bag out is not equivalent to cleaning a mash tun.
Batch size being equal, eBIAB brew day is about 4 hours and a 3V HERMS is at least 5.5 if you're dialed in. Maybe they are exactly the same but I'm just a spaz that can't deal with it.

PS: I'm not trying to convince you to change your system but I'd gladly have you over to hang out and watch what a 1V brew system is like.

Last edited:
OP is interested in anything.

Never thought of BiaB because of perceived poor efficiencies, and needing a pretty large vessel to handle even moderate OGs (brewing British, I rarely do bombs and when I do, I brew a shorter brewlength). But I know nothing and again, am totally open to learning more. I will admit, I like bright shiny mini-me's of a commercial brewery. My former 20 gallon Spike.

It's not just perceived poor efficiency if you're specifically talking about grain in vs. gravity out. It's literal and measurable. The real question is, is maximum extraction efficiency very high on the list of important features of a 5 or 10 gallon batch for home brewers? You could prioritize simplicity, time efficiency or any other factor. I just put extraction efficiency rather low on my list of priorities so I don't mind 70% mash efficiency or 63% brewhouse. It's just another way of making wort that I find very easy and repeatable. All the folks in my homebrew club (not all but over 70%) using eBIAB setups are making gold medal (and best of show) beers so clearly there are no measurable compromises other than a slightly higher grain cost. That can be paid for with the savings on the brewing system itself.

The pretty large vessel is somewhat true but not if you consider the total volume of all the vessels in the 3V. A 20G BIAB can make 5/10 gallon batches. Even in a 3V x 20 gallon, you're still talking about 10 gallon max batches for most gravities.

A 30G BIAB can make any 10/15G batch while a trio of 30G can do 10/15/20 (low gravity). There's a bit of overlap across both methods.

T
It's not just perceived poor efficiency if you're specifically talking about grain in vs. gravity out. It's literal and measurable. The real question is, is maximum extraction efficiency very high on the list of important features of a 5 or 10 gallon batch for home brewers? You could prioritize simplicity, time efficiency or any other factor. I just put extraction efficiency rather low on my list of priorities so I don't mind 70% mash efficiency or 63% brewhouse. It's just another way of making wort that I find very easy and repeatable. All the folks in my homebrew club (not all but over 70%) using eBIAB setups are making gold medal (and best of show) beers so clearly there are no measurable compromises other than a slightly higher grain cost. That can be paid for with the savings on the brewing system itself.

The pretty large vessel is somewhat true but not if you consider the total volume of all the vessels in the 3V. A 20G BIAB can make 5/10 gallon batches. Even in a 3V x 20 gallon, you're still talking about 10 gallon max batches for most gravities.

A 30G BIAB can make any 10/15G batch while a trio of 30G can do 10/15/20 (low gravity). There's a bit of overlap across both methods.
Thanks, Bobby. I should clarify on the efficiency - I meant by "perceived poor" my own perceptions (or anyone's actually - it's all about what's acceptable, e.g., if lower efficiency saves time and energy and the increased "waste" on ingredients is comparably not a big deal, the "perceived efficiency" isn't a problem.

I should have just called it value - what is the time, energy and money going in, for the perceived value out. (A 1 buck McDonald's may be grossly a poor value, if we'd rather spend $35 on a good riesling). I'm meaning I'm not sure I'm cool with an efficiency in these ranges, mostly because I'm an older dude and have been doing it old ways for a long time, and gotten a certain extraction. But I see your reasoning and I appreciate the perspective, something I'll be thinking on.

Sorta barging in here but a recent purchase of some used Blichmann stuff (single channel Tower of Power and two burner Top Tier stand) had me thinking a multi kettle setup like the big boys.

However, the idea of using this stuff for a direct-fired, single kettle RIMS BiaB rig has me intrigued and I believe where I'm headed with it.

Last edited:
35 replies in one day? wth? And @Bobby_M forsaking his heritage? double wth! 😁

I love my 3v2p rig, it provides a ton of entertainment while being as close to hands-off as a fully manual brew rig can get! Brewing on an AIO sounds boring AF to me.

Anyway...I scanned a bunch and only saw one reply that matches my 3V2P procedure: I treat and heat strike water in my boil kettle at the same time I treat and heat my HLT volume. The latter has a minimum of 10 gallons to completely cover the HEX coil; with one exception my 10 gallon recipes use no more than 9 gallons of fly sparge liquor.

I underlet the mash with the strike volume, let the MLT rest for 5 minutes while I swap hoses around for recirculation, then get the recirculation going. Once the fly sparge is done (even before run-out is complete) I clean and dry the HLT; once the pre-boil volume has been reached I clean and dry the MLT. From there it's just administering to the BK's needs the rest of the way...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Compared to eBIAB yes a 3 vessel HERMS is complicated and I can list it all out. Have you brewed on an eBIAB? I get the feeling that you haven't based on what you're saying there.

Complexity:
One vessel vs three.
One heated vessel vs two.
One pump vs two, not to mention negotiating the flow of sparge and wort runoff.
System offset temps. The mash temp is never the same as the HLT temp so system offset has to be considered and it changes depending on the ambient temps. Again, one can adjust to this but you can't argue that it's not added complexity.

Water:
One volume of water is adjusted with one dose of salts and acid. The pH of the mash stays mostly steady whereas sparging will drift the pH the whole time unless you acidify your sparge water.

Time:
More total water has to be heated to get started, all the strike water as well as all the HLT water to keep the HERMS submerged.
It is more to clean up. Scoop out the grain from the mash tun, take the false bottom out. Hose the MLT out. That can be done while the boil is going on, but you still have to do it. Then you clean the boil kettle just like I clean mine. Rinsing the bag out is not equivalent to cleaning a mash tun.
Batch size being equal, eBIAB brew day is about 4 hours and a 3V HERMS is at least 5.5 if you're dialed in. Maybe they are exactly the same but I'm just a spaz that can't deal with it.

PS: I'm not trying to convince you to change your system but I'd gladly have you over to hang out and watch what a 1V brew system is like.
I get your points and I'm not trying to change your mind. But your not gonna change mine. I dont brew small batches. I have no interest in that. Again as I stated for me, this works. It's simple. Whether your cleaning a basket or a kettle your still cleaning out grain and whatever strains it. My average grain weight is 40lbs dry, I'm not trying to lift that out in a basket once wet. Yea sure a 5 or even 10 gallon batch I don't doubt is easier to handle on a svbs. But I dont brew on that scale, it's not worth my time. That's why I said a person's brew system should fit their needs and wants. Svbs does not suit me, end of story. And that's me, not you or the op, or any other person. It's my style, and how I prefer to brew. It's simple for me to add acid it my hlt and mash tun, it works for me. I can do it in my sleep. My mash tun is clean before I'm done boiling. Transfer to the fermenter and all I have to do is rinse my boil kettle and I'm ready for the next brew day. I have sat in on brewdays with friends that brew on a svbs and sure it's simple as well, but for the volume I brew and my average OG it just doesn't fit my style. Simple as that. Before I purchased my current system I did a ton of research and I wouldn't change my decision.

My first homebrew was 1989. I think my first all-grain brew was in 1994 (maybe 1995). I brewed with a 10 gallon pot, propane burner, 5 gallon Igloo mash tun and when I could afford it, a 5 gallon Igloo HLT for sparging. All gravity fed. Eventually moved to a keggle with a false bottom and a welded valve for the boil kettle. Made 4 award winning beers on that setup.

In 2011 I scored another keggle and built a 3 vessel single tier propane fired system with 2 pumps on a weldless stand. Made a lot of great beer on that system and had a ton of fun brewing with my brother.

In early 2019 we decided to convert to electric. Original plan was to just do the HLT and Boil kettle but ended up with basically a homebuilt Spike Trio. It's been a great system. Brewed a TON of great beer on this and had a TON of good times. It lives at his house ( we live on the same street about 5 blocks away).

When COVID hit I decided it was finally time to brew at home again. I came across @Bobby_M video of his single vessel BIAB system. I dug out the 10 gallon kettle I used for my first all grain batch ~25 years earlier and built a version of Bobby's system. Also installed a sink in the garage.

We use both systems regularly - probably once a month (or more) for both. Both make great beer - most of the time. My single vessel BIAB is more predictable and step mashing is MUCH faster!

That said.... I'm considering converting the 3 vessel system to a 10 gallon BIAB. I don't care much about brew time or clean up time (it's a good hang with my brother) but the ability to step mash so much faster is awesome. Would love to have the BIAB/recirculating mash and be able to sparge for efficiency.

Lot's of ways to make good beer. :mug:

Attachments

• IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    903.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6971.JPG
    IMG_6971.JPG
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9214.jpg
    IMG_9214.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9215.jpg