brew kettle metal grooves from shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoofdogABC

Reaction score
Hi,

short version, northern brewer shipped a false bottom (upside down) with about 25 pounds of stuff on top of it in a 15gal brew kettle. the false bottom handle collapsed, and did a good job putting moderately deep scratches into the bottom of the brew kettle.

Are visible grooves inside the brew kettle an issue I should be concerned with?

they should have just put a cardboard ring between the bottom and the kettle, but for whatever reason this wasn't done.

I would contact them about the damage - they should replace it because of improper packing. send pictures.

don't worry about the scratches- it will be boiled.

I will contact them, but returning if it is indeed functional is a concern - I have them ship to a reshipper in miami that then sends overseas, I pay about 2.50 a pound additional freight, presumably each way. They really have no responsibility to cover this cost, so from my perspective, if the kettle is fully functional as it (e.g. no chance the aluminum center was revealed by the scratching), I am probably faced with the option of spending ~160 out of pocket or just keeping it.

edit - just went back and took a very close look at scratching - it looks to be 1mm or so. I assume this isn't thick enough to expose aluminium.

Latest posts

Back