Brew in a bag for all grain brew - PLEASE HELP ME!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Dear All,

I’m begging for your HELP for this brew… Here is the situation; I have 3 bottles of Hob Goblin in my fridge and I am very reluctant to drink it as I’m keeping it for that “special” occasion. When I came across this post my heart stopped and instantly knew this was going to be my next brew even when I have a whole list of other stuff ready to go. They will just have to wait while I sort this out, with your help of cause. This will be my first all grain brew and this recipe couldn’t have been a better one to start me off.

Here is the recipe from Orfy’s website
http://www.dave123taylor.webspace.virginmedia.com/brew/Recipes/orfy_recipes_5.htm

I’ve got a few questions and hopefully you folks can help me out with it.

1. I’ve been reading about brew in a bag and can I use that concept to pull this off? I don’t want to have to spend money if I don’t need to e.g. to buy a mash tun and a really big brew pot and a turkey fryer.
2. Is it really necessary to have a 30Liter brew pot when I can just use my 10Liter pot to repeat the same process twice or more? Won’t I still be able to extract all that goodness out?

Brewing can be expensive. Get used to it. At least your hobby isn't... what am i trying to say... EVERY hobby is expensive. Unless you .... no just kidding you can think of many ways to make hobbies expensive.

There are several ways to get the right gear for cheap.

For somebody that doesnt have 10L pot, would you tell them to use their 5L pot four times because its the same thing? No. Find a keg, cut the top off of it, and go to town. Or get a turkey frier and use the 30L aluminum kettle that comes with it. These are a dime a dozen compared to the cost of Blichmann for example. (I happen to work there and im telling you to by a cheap kettle. i know though, youll eventually turn our way muuuhhhhha hahahaha!!!!!)

Do some more research on here and learn the process some more. Then you should be able to determine what you need and what you dont. Hopefully more people will chime in that actually have brewed in a bag.

I think one 30L for your BK and a smaller kettle should work just fine. cheers!

I can't help, since I'm only doing mini mashes. I know brewing can be expensive, but what's it like in Malaysia?

I have been an extract brewer w/ specialty grains for a couple of years and have recently started doing the BIAB, Full Volume, No Sparge method. I love it! Mostly for the time savings compared to full AG. Nice 'next step' for an extract homebrewer.

That said, I don't know how you would successfully do this recipe without a kettle that can hold the full volume or scale down the recipe.

You will be mashing out these grains in a bag to create your wort. I suppose you could store off that wort and repeat the process but you still have to boil it all. Remember you have to do everything that the 'extract makers' did for you (DMS, etc). I suppose you could split your boils/hops into small brews and put each into the fermenter waiting for the next but what a pain.

I can't help, since I'm only doing mini mashes. I know brewing can be expensive, but what's it like in Malaysia?

It can get really expensive... here is what I have to do to just brew 23Liters

1. plan my trip
2. top up my car with RON95
3. take a 4 hours drive to Singapore
4. Pay toll and vehicle changes just to enter the island.
5. buy the stuff (the more rewarding part of all)
6. repeat step 2, 3 and 4.

I’ve got a few questions and hopefully you folks can help me out with it.

1. I’ve been reading about brew in a bag and can I use that concept to pull this off? I don’t want to have to spend money if I don’t need to e.g. to buy a mash tun and a really big brew pot and a turkey fryer.
2. Is it really necessary to have a 30Liter brew pot when I can just use my 10Liter pot to repeat the same process twice or more? Won’t I still be able to extract all that goodness out?

By the time of my reply you must have finished drinking your February 2011 brew. If you're still in Puchong, go and check out Daiso in IOI Mall. They sell bags for RM5 a piece that you can use nicely to steep your grains.
Also, in Puchong Perdana, there's a shop called Tembikar Menang Jaya where you can buy 30liter stainless steel pots for less than RM200. You can look the address up in in the superpages.com.my.

While checking the forum I'm enjoying a 12.2% extra strong Ale poored into a 0.5ltr Royal Selangor Pewter tankard my wife bought me from Cash&Carry in PJ for a steep RM12 (listed price at Royal Selangor website only RM300) What is a better way to enjoy beer in these economically stressing times!!! :rockin:

Back