Brew Day Rituals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ritual they perform on Brew Day? I always run out in the morning to buy any extra supplies (water, 6-pack of Sam Adams) then start the boil and put on some good music. By the time the Wort goes into the fermenter, i usually have a decent buzz on.:cross:

I always wear a brewery workshirt. I have a good collection of them--one from Lakefront brewery, two from Miller...but the one I always wear is a light blue MBC one with a giant Miller soft cross patch on the back and Ed for the name....

That is really my only ritual besides the obvious music.....

Right before I pitch the yeast I take a bottle of the last brew I made and pour it in a glass. And once the yeast is pitched I drink and enjoy the brew. (unless the last batch didnt turn out well, (Like my last one) then I pour it on the grass.)

Dude said:
I always wear a brewery workshirt. I have a good collection of them--one from Lakefront brewery, two from Miller...but the one I always wear is a light blue MBC one with a giant Miller soft cross patch on the back and Ed for the name.......

Cool! Gotta get me one of those!

I try to buy a couple pints of beer in the same style that I am brewing.

- magno

EdWort said:
Cool! Gotta get me one of those!

I'll trade you for this:

Freibier.jpg

;)

I always take a shower and shave before I brew. And of course put on clean clothes. Thats about it. (Otherwise I only do those things twice a week or so)

I usually wear my Black Helicopter Porter T-shirt. I also usually stop on my way to the brewery at the local donut shop and get some breakfast. I always listen to my mp3 player while brewing and have a couple beers off the tap wall at work. It's a sweet setup. :D

Oh yeah, then I carry the carboy up two flights of stairs, and make coffee and breakfast for SWMBO afterwards. :drunk:

Drink a relatively close retail version of what I'm brewing.
Cigars that I'm attempting to pair with that brew.
My brewing hat (straw).

Wild

I sacrifice several lambs and draw funny pictures on my forehead with a Sharpie. Pretty standard practices, really.

(I actually don't do anything at all)

First I shave my entire body. When I start the mash I have a guinness apron I wear. I also start the mash with some irish music from my computer. ALWAYS drinking a beer while brewing, usually a homebrew.

I think this must be why my first brew sucked. I had a glass of wine with it, I didn't really have any good beer at the time... No wonder I didn't make any good beer.

My second batch saw me drinking xtra pale ale, and deschutes cascade, and its a great beer.

I drank Deschutes Cindercode with batch #3 as #2 isn't ready for drinking yet. it should be the best yet!

I always wear my "work around the house" clothes - a pair of old pants with a couple holes and a hand-me-down threadbare yellow Duck, NC T-shirt that my dad got too big around the waist to wear anymore a few years ago.

Other thing is that the kitchen counter must be cleared of pretty much everything but beermaking equipment. I don't want stuff like old mail and a loaf of bread getting in the way of the holy work. I also always arrange things in a pretty particular fashion - I gots me a SYSTEM, I tells ya. Things have to be where they're supposed to be when I need them.

Back