Brew Day Notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_McBrew

Reaction score
I find when I'm brewing that I have difficulty making notes and if I do then keeping them all in one place becomes a problem. So I don't keep good records.

I couldn't find a brew day notes template that suited me so I made one. It's not rocket science!

The target was for after the mash starts. Up to the start of the mash things are pretty easy in terms of time, after that you're against the clock. Therefore the sheet does not include grain weights but does include hop weights and timings (I use Brewer's Friend for a brew day recipe sheet). After that it's all about having boxes to write numbers in, volumes, pH, gravity etc.

Here's an image and an Excel file in a zip. I can convert to other formats should anyone be interested....

Brew Day Notes.PNG

Attachments

• Brew Day Notes.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 31
It's a great idea!

I write various notes on the BeerSmith printouts, from gravity readings and last minute tweaks to tasting and appearance notes of samples. But those notes never make it back to any structured system for easy retrieval.
No idea if this is the right forum btw!

This is the right forum.
Were you thinking of a different, better, or more specific one?

I have a spreadsheet that I created in google notes that I use. I print that, the recipe, and a checklist for every brew day.

Yours is a bit more comprehensive than mine (I don't have mash steps, starter notes, boil steps and fermentation notes, for example). What I do have, that you might want to add, is strike temp, mash temp and sparge temp. For the stuff I'm measuring on brew day (first runnings volume/SG, second runnings volume/SG, pre-boil volume, post boil volume, fermenter volume, etc.) I have expected values and actual values for each. That way I get immediate insight into whether I'm hitting my numbers or not. Put it all on a clipboard with a pencil attached and I have an easy way to take complete, consistent and organized notes.

This does take some pre-brew-day preparation, but I like having all that info on my clipboard.

I've started using an app called multi-timer for my additions which does text to speech alarms. You can create a set with timers for hop additions, adding whirlfloc, adding immersion chiller/pump into the system (for sanitization), etc.). You can then just start the set and each one announces what should be done at that point: "Add 20 minute hops" or "add yeast nutrient and whirlfloc". Between those two and my checklist, I typically have a very organized brew day.

Now if I could just stop the interruptions right at critical points in my process. It never fails that the Mrs. needs help or a friend stops by just at that critical last 5 minutes/FO/WP phase, distracting me from duties.

7D2818BA-9BA9-457A-AC1C-0198EA3E5C2D.png
I use Brewers Friend which keeps track of a lot of brew day and post brew logs. When the beer is fermenting I keep a note pad by the beer to write down observations, temperatures, dry hop additions, etc. etc. when the beer is done I go into Brewers Friend and put in the notes so I have a detailed record of the brew day.

I plan my brew days on BeerSmith 1.4...

I take notes in a bound book. Fun things like expected pre-boil gravity and volume, actual gravity and volume, efficiency, step tracking for grains and hops, water additions, post brew-day notes, etc.

I like the fact that it's bound (blame it on the Navy), and I have a pretty set format for how I lay out page 1 for a particular brew. INside the front cover I have notes on standard practices for my brewing setup... temperature deltas between HLT and MLT (HERMS setup), boiloff rate vs duty cycle, boiloff volume vs time for duty cycles... that sort of thing. The back of each page has notes of what I did to the beer post brewday, to include fermentation schedules and issues encountered/resolved.

I have just found that keeping multiple, individual sheets of paper is a bother, and would rather use a nice, bound book to keep a log.

33335220_1800897516634173_8303435912302297088_n.jpg

I have expected values and actual values for each. That way I get immediate insight into whether I'm hitting my numbers or not.
That is something that I will add, thank you.

What I do have, that you might want to add, is strike temp, mash temp and sparge temp.
I use a Braumeister so that is all taken care of in the mash schedule.

Now if I could just stop the interruptions right at critical points in my process. It never fails that the Mrs. needs help or a friend stops by just at that critical last 5 minutes/FO/WP phase, distracting me from duties.
Yes, yes and thrice yes.

Last edited:
Back