Brew Day (Evening) - Autumn Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RighteousFire

Reaction score
Today as I was watchig Pol's brewcast I got the urge to brew. So I hopped over to the LHBS here in Frederick, MD, The Flying Barrel.

I gathered some ingredients for a partial mash, Oktoberfest Type Ale. Since October is over pretty much I'm calling it my Autumn Ale.
3 lbs Pilsen DME

(Partial Mash) @155F
3lbs. Munich10
1lb. Vienna
.5lb. Crystal60
.33lb. Aromatic

(steeped grains)
1lb. CaraMunich
1lb. CaraVienne

1.5oz Saaz 4% @60
.5oz. Saaz 4% @5

Safale-04

I'm shootig for an OG of 1.052.

I'm using a 2 gallon cooler for mashing, and steeping in a 5 gallon pot, which is also the brew kettle. It's cold and raining here so no brewing outdoors today for me, hence the Partial Mash.

This was an impromtu brew session triggered by watching The Pol's Brewcast today.

Maybe there is a reason for not spontaniously brewing. Everything was going swimmingly until runoff. I got stuck. I tried mixing and resetting over and over until I just put on the lid and blew through as hard as I could. It started going very well after that.

Then of course at right athe most crucial moment of everything, right as I was chilling down and racking to the fermenter, my cat decided to jump on the counter and knock everything off, including my just poured beer.

All in all, it turned out fine, hit 1.048SG so it came out to about 69% brewhouse efficiency from the partial mash. Pitched at 75F and threw it in the fermenting fridge at 58F @ 1am. Checked it @10am and it's bubbling nicely.

I'm keeping it on the low end of ferm temps to produce the cleanest possible profile and then lager it afterwards.

Ambient temp in the fermentation fridge is around 59F and the fermenter reads about 63F so I turned down the temps just a smidge to hopefully float the internal temp of the beer to around 59-60F.

Im getting awesom activity in the airlock, about 5-7 glugs per second.

I'll thief a hydro reading this evening when I get home.

Back