First ever brew day tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point I couldnt care less about a cloudy beer. If it tastes good is all I'm worried about...that and getting it into a bottle.

Us-05 takes forever to flocculate out, that's why I clear with gelatin. I usually do IPAs and can drink the first one after day 12.

I wouldn't bother, save that for later in your "career". I have done 93 batches and have only used gelatin in the keg once. And if you can call that cold crashing, only when putting the kegs in the fridge. Then drawing off the sediment in the first couple glasses.

It really has no effect on drinkability unless you are squeamish about cloudy beers.

You beat me to that, KH. :) Was going to say exactly the same thing, except that I haven't done 93 batches.

At this point I couldnt care less about a cloudy beer. If it tastes good is all I'm worried about...that and getting it into a bottle.

Judging by your inquisitiveness in this thread, I'm going to bet you've enjoyed learning about this. There are a lot of deep layers to brewing, and it's really fun (for me!) peeling back those layers to expose further understanding and truth in brewing.

Assuming I'm correct about this, you'll enjoy the journey. A lot. I want to know everything I can about brewing, and really relish when I pick up some new and interesting tidbit.

Along those lines, I've followed a philosophy of continuous quality improvement as I've been learning brewing. Every time I try to do something better in the process. It has really paid off, too. I think of this as a journey rather than a destination; traveling this route has been very rewarding....both in knowledge and in beer. :)

I hope you're enjoying it as much as I do.

Agree completely. My end goal is a streamlined system where I can continuously brew high quality beer of all kinds, eventually finding some personal recipes, all mash, lagers... etc etc. But baby steps for me.

As other people have mentioned, the clarity of the beer does not have a big impact on the flavor but as oylerck said, US-05 takes time to flocculate. From my experience, a week in the fridge helps a lot. After only a day, it may still taste a bit yeasty.

Took a gravity last night, day 13, and it was 1.016. OG was 1.054. I ran it through an online calc and it came out at 4.99%abv. Sound about right?

I was going to take another reading tomorrow and bottle but have been called into work and won't be able to until the 29th...couple of days won't hurt...

I couldn't help myself and tasted the beer out of the tester....albeit flat, room temp, and not finished...it did taste half decent and smells, and tastes harpish (brewing a harp clone). Very happy with the colour so far.

Yep, I'm seeing 5.0% ABV from BeerSmith.

Leaving it a few extra days is generally a good choice. I like for yeast to spend a bit of time cleaning up after themselves.

Good luck on your first bottling day.

Took a gravity last night, day 13, and it was 1.016. OG was 1.054. I ran it through an online calc and it came out at 4.99%abv. Sound about right?

I was going to take another reading tomorrow and bottle but have been called into work and won't be able to until the 29th...couple of days won't hurt...

I couldn't help myself and tasted the beer out of the tester....albeit flat, room temp, and not finished...it did taste half decent and smells, and tastes harpish (brewing a harp clone). Very happy with the colour so far.

Maybe give it an extra day and recheck gravity. If it's the same you should be good. General rule is check 3 days in a row. Skipping a day is just wasting less beer in my book.

Reread this: you are giving it a few days... sorry.

Sooo... I went ahead and bottled today anyway. FG was the same 1.016 and I was bored. Primed with 4oz corn sugar and 2 cups water. Ended up with 29.5 500 ml bottles. I was hoping for a couple more but I had quite a thick trub layer. Hopefully everything turns out.

i couldnt resist...tried a bottle after 11 days conditioning. chilled it for just a couple hours and gave it a try. quite happy with it. carbonated but not much head.. tastes surprisingly like harp which was the goal. easy to drink. i think a little more time conditioning and a couple days chilled will help.

Congrats,
Its only going to get better as time goes on.
The beer is still green. This is when you have to have the self control to not down them all. I have a habit of "trying one after work" then the next thing you know I've gone through half my batch haha

But it does feel good to drink that first homebrew eh.

SLAINTÉ!

Funny you mention the wort chiller. I went into a brew supply shop a couple days ago just to get a 2 dollar 1/2" to 1/2" coupler and walked out with a chiller. I've also bought an O2 regulator, little brass one to sit on a bernzomatic 02 tank. I'm waiting for the regulator to show up in the mail then I'm going to brew #2.

It's going to be the exact same recipe just with changes in technique to see the diff. I want to shorten that lag time etc.

Funny you mention the wort chiller. I went into a brew supply shop a couple days ago just to get a 2 dollar 1/2" to 1/2" coupler and walked out with a chiller. I've also bought an O2 regulator, little brass one to sit on a bernzomatic 02 tank. I'm waiting for the regulator to show up in the mail then I'm going to brew #2.

It's going to be the exact same recipe just with changes in technique to see the diff. I want to shorten that lag time etc.

I just listened to a brulosophy podcast that proves mash temp doesn't matter. It only affects your abv and how the yeast react. You can't tell the difference.

So don't waste your time there. If you want more alcohol mash at 148. Less? Mash at 164.

That's interesting. My recipe was partial mash, cheese cloth steeped for 20 mins at 158'. I assume you're talking about all mash?

Back