Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a hops spider with a paint stainer bag but you really have to be careful and keep it away from the heating element. I have now purchased a 6 inch hop strainer that sits about an inch off the bottom and away from the element, Works okay but I have watch the circulation so it doesn't plug. Good Luck

This weekend is our annual Family Tamale Day where we make a few hundred tamales. Going to see if the brew boss with the cofi filter can steam some tamales...I think it should ..basically fill with water until the element is covered...place tamales in the basket

This weekend is our annual Family Tamale Day where we make a few hundred tamales. Going to see if the brew boss with the cofi filter can steam some tamales...I think it should ..basically fill with water until the element is covered...place tamales in the basket

It should work great. I've thought it would be perfect as a large capacity sous vide cooker.

One thing I'd be extra careful about is the element running dry. Maybe put something in the bottom of the COFI to allow for more water and keep the food higher?

It should work great. I've thought it would be perfect as a large capacity sous vide cooker.

One thing I'd be extra careful about is the element running dry. Maybe put something in the bottom of the COFI to allow for more water and keep the food higher?

yep that's my only concern..typically you will add water through out the steam..I'll just need to really keep an eye on it

and I should try some MASA as an adjunct...ideas are flowing

I use my COFI for a hops filter. I add it to the kettle with about 15 minutes left in the boil and recirculate wort with the SwirlBoss placed inside the COFI to filter hops and trub. Seems to work reasonably well so far.

Do you think this setup could handle +16oz of hops? Or does a decent amount get through the mesh? Im trying this next week

Do you think this setup could handle +16oz of hops? Or does a decent amount get through the mesh? Im trying this next week

OK so I did a test run before trying it with a large amount of hops. The COFI filter does not work very well to filter out pellet hops. I ended up with about 40% or so of the hop matter outside the mesh basket. Maybe if it was a tad finer. As it is, it is noticeably less effective than muslin bags.

Glad I tried it with a 4oz saison before a +16oz IPA or I wouldve had some green ass beer on my hands

OK so I did a test run before trying it with a large amount of hops. The COFI filter does not work very well to filter out pellet hops. I ended up with about 40% or so of the hop matter outside the mesh basket. Maybe if it was a tad finer. As it is, it is noticeably less effective than muslin bags.

Glad I tried it with a 4oz saison before a +16oz IPA or I wouldve had some green ass beer on my hands

Let those hops run free...stop with the filtering nonsense...filter after fermentation

Tamales worked like a charm.
.just raised the bottom false bottom up so the water line was above the probe....just used some aluminum foil

I do 30 day primaries I empty the entire brew kettle into the fermenter no filter no bag for the hops no whirlpool. After thirty days all that stuff is a firm cake on the bottom and my beer is crystal clear.

Let those hops run free...stop with the filtering nonsense...filter after fermentation

Anyone else received any shipping notifications or updates? I know he's backed up, just getting antsy...was hoping to brew on the new rig over the holidays but doesn't look like that'll happen.

I was order number 6066. I was told I should have mine by Christmas but haven't seen anything about a shipping confirmation yet.

I have to correct an earlier post I made. As it turns out, the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" WILL run the Brew-Boss app. All I can say is there must have been a problem with my Fire on the day I tried to download it. Everything else was working, but the app would not download. It wouldn't even get part way through and quit. I just stayed at 0% for an entire day. Everything else on the device was working fine, so I had no reason to suspect the Fire itself.

I have to correct an earlier post I made. As it turns out, the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" WILL run the Brew-Boss app. All I can say is there must have been a problem with my Fire on the day I tried to download it. Everything else was working, but the app would not download. It wouldn't even get part way through and quit. I just stayed at 0% for an entire day. Everything else on the device was working fine, so I had no reason to suspect the Fire itself.

Thanks, I ended up ordering a couple and just got them the other day. App loaded and launched for me too. Can't say for sure that it will communicate with the controller since I don't have my system yet, but I'm guessing it will be fine.

My impression is the Brew Boss App does not play well with other things on the tablet. I have a single cheap tablet I bought from Amazon that has a sole purpose of running the Brew Boss Software and doing nothing else.

A little while back I had Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, and some other misc apps on the tablet and was experience what I can best describe as temperature lag. The Brew Boss controller directly reading from the pot would show that the temp was 152, where as the tablet would still be showing it as 143. By the time the tablet got to 152 the controller was at 164.

Basically it was vastly overshooting the temps. Though a couple of e-mails and pictures with Darin, I figured out that uninstalling the extra apps the controller worked fine. However it does not seem I can use the tablet for much else.

My impression is the Brew Boss App does not play well with other things on the tablet. I have a single cheap tablet I bought from Amazon that has a sole purpose of running the Brew Boss Software and doing nothing else.

A little while back I had Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, and some other misc apps on the tablet and was experience what I can best describe as temperature lag. The Brew Boss controller directly reading from the pot would show that the temp was 152, where as the tablet would still be showing it as 143. By the time the tablet got to 152 the controller was at 164.

Basically it was vastly overshooting the temps. Though a couple of e-mails and pictures with Darin, I figured out that uninstalling the extra apps the controller worked fine. However it does not seem I can use the tablet for much else.

That sounds completely whacked. The only thing the other apps could do is use cpu and storage. Assuming you weren't playing angry birds the cpu would be fine and the app should give an error if storage is used up. How did the developer rationalize uninstalling the other apps?

This is what Darin said to me:

Darin said:
Your tablet lags tremendously in less than a few minutes it is way behind the controller. I tried optimizing the wifi settings to no avail. I noticed there are a lot of games, etc. on the tablet that are probably stealing processor time, but did not delete anything. I tried the controller on one of the tablets I supply and it worked flawlessly all weekend.

I was not playing any games or doing anything on the tablet other than attempting to brew. The tablet that I am currently using only has Brew Boss and the default apps that came with it installed. I have not experienced this lag issue again, but like I said I have been treating the tablet as Brew Boss use only.

I did not get my shipping notice. From the email that went out the other night I assume I will be in the group that goes out the first week of the new year.

Hey everyone, I've brewed a few batches with my 15 gallon system but am having trouble. We tried an IPA clone the other day that called for ~13.5 gallons of water and 25 lbs of grain. Everything was calculated with BeerSmith but there is no way that the 15 gallon kettle will hold that much volume. I know it has been said that it will around here but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Will I have to sparge whenever I want to make a 10 gallon batch with the brewboss?

Hey everyone, I've brewed a few batches with my 15 gallon system but am having trouble. We tried an IPA clone the other day that called for ~13.5 gallons of water and 25 lbs of grain. Everything was calculated with BeerSmith but there is no way that the 15 gallon kettle will hold that much volume. I know it has been said that it will around here but I'm not sure what I'm missing. Will I have to sparge whenever I want to make a 10 gallon batch with the brewboss?

I would pull out 3 gallons or so, however much you need to remove to fit the 25 lbs of grain, then put that into a separate pot and heat it up to 168. When you are done mashing and have the COFI or bag (whichever you have) hanging over the pot, use a small cup to pour the 3 gallons of 168 water on top of it to rinse the grains and bring your water level up to the full 13.5 you need for the boil.

I would pull out 3 gallons or so, however much you need to remove to fit the 25 lbs of grain, then put that into a separate pot and heat it up to 168. When you are done mashing and have the COFI or bag (whichever you have) hanging over the pot, use a small cup to pour the 3 gallons of 168 water on top of it to rinse the grains and bring your water level up to the full 13.5 you need for the boil.

Ok, that is what we have done on the last 2 ten gallon batches. Just wasn't sure if this was what everyone seemed to be doing or not.

That's why I went with the 20 gallon system. Off chance I want to do 15 gallon batches I will do what they are taking about above but 10 gallon batches can be done doing nothing extra.

I've done a similar sized 5 gallon batch, I had to slooooowwwwly lower the COFI into the pot so the grain could absorb water as it went in.

I've done several 10 gallon batches, Saisons that ended up with 16-18 pounds of grain and that went easily.

Have done a few 10 gallon IPA's in my 15 gallon kettle recently that required a similar grain bill. Been backing the base malts down to 20lbs and using DME / Sugar to get the same numbers.

Ive found 12 gallons of water with 25lbs of grain is the limit for the 15 gallon system...so you end up with 9 gallon batch basically or you could do less water and use top off water if you are desperate to have exactly 10 gallons

Hi all,
have been following this thread since day one and its been great! i have about 15 or so batches on my Brew Boss with bag system and can't say enough how pleased I am with it. From support by Darin to streamlining my brew-days and most of all the quality of beer from my system. always experimenting and have been trying to brew some big beers with the 15 gal. system.

Schumed is about right on with capacities on the 15 gal system. I have done a 32# grain bill on a Zombie Dust Clone and split my mash with an igloo cooler and it worked pretty good. pumping from kettle to secondary mash tun and gravity back to kettle throttling the pump valve. A little extra work (cleaning) but wasn't bad at all.

Last experiment was to reduce grain bill and add some DME after mashing to get my SG where it needed to be. That batch is in kegs and conditioning now. tasted great before force carbing. Going to try some Maris Otter LME soon and see what happens....

Have tried all 3 recipes that came with the system and all came out great. Hope to hear from all the new Brew Boss owners, you made a great choice!

Ive found 12 gallons of water with 25lbs of grain is the limit for the 15 gallon system...so you end up with 9 gallon batch basically or you could do less water and use top off water if you are desperate to have exactly 10 gallons

No, I'm not desperate to have exactly 10 gallons. Just a bit new to this system and have done mostly 5 gallon batches up to now. My FIL and I are brewing on it and wanting to get the most out of the system so that we each get a keg from each brew session. I think I will simply go with a smaller batch and sparge water in. Thanks for the information.

Got my notice today as well, #6048 (20G w/COFI).
Stoked, but now I've got to get the power sorted. :ban::confused:

I also need to get power run. I got the 20G BIAB version. I also got the 10 tablet, swirlboss, sight gauge, and exchillerator. I am really excited to get things setup so I can brew. I will definitely do a water only test run.

Back