Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished wiring the system and tested out the heating coil and pump. Everything works as planned. Now I just need to install a vent and get a chiller and I'm ready to brew. Hopefully by the middle of this next week. EXCITED!!!

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

Thanks for the info, SeeMont. I'm really pumped to get the Brew Boss but stuck deciding between the 20 gal system and the 15 gal system. I don't think I could get used to being limited to 10 and 15 gal batches on the 20 gal system butthe grain capacity for a 10 gal batch on the 15 gal system is a bit light for me. About 22 lbs, right?

I was noodling some options last night. I wonder if I could buy the components from Brew Boss and fit them into a narrower 20 gal kettle. For example, Stout's 20 gal kettles have the same footprint of most 15 gal kettles (15.75 inches) but are taller. they even have one with the electric element port built in but it looks like they don't have a version without a thermowell: https://conical-fermenter.com/BK20TW-TI-EL1.html Anyone know of any other narrow 20 gal kettle options out there?

Of course, this would mean COFI isn't an option (not a huge deal) so I'd have to use a bag or get a custom grain basket built, on top of drilling out the kettle for the various fittings.

Along the same lines as FreddyMar3's question, under the comments on this video: Darin Danelski states:

Darin Danelski said:
The filters hold up to 13, 20, and 35 pounds for the 10, 15 and 20 gallon sizes respectively. This depends on the grain type and crush, but is a good starting point.

20 lbs for 10 gallons seems a bit light for me. It seems like I use somewhere around 25lbs for most 10 gallon beers, and sometimes that much for a 5 gallon Russian Imperial Stout. I realize that if I have better efficiency I will need less grains, however I would like to know if any one has experience with using the 15 gallon system and how many grains they found they could reasonably fit into it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, just like many of you, I am making the transition from Partial to All-Grain and I use BeerSmith 2. Just started this thread in another part of the board: BeerSmith Setup. Anyone have some input for me on this? I am running the BIAB 15 gallon version of the Brew-Boss and need to convert all of my Partial recipes to this system.

So some of you guys have had your rigs for about a year now-still happy? Do you ever do partial mashes? Has the system sped. Up your brew day? What are your times from start to finish?

I have only brewed once with mine and liked it a lot. Right now I'm brewing in my bathroom because I didn't want to shell out the $250 to get an outlet installed in my basement. It wasn't bad but it would be easier with a stand in a bigger space.

No point in doing a partial brew. Partial brew are for people that don't have room for a full mash.

It did speed it up a little but not much though I think it will shorten my brew day even more when I get it on a stand and get use to it. It makes mashing in and heating to strike temp so much easier.

Along the same lines as FreddyMar3's question, under the comments on this video:Brew-Boss Automated Electric Brewing System Setup, Brewing, and Cleaning Darin Danelski states:

20 lbs for 10 gallons seems a bit light for me. It seems like I use somewhere around 25lbs for most 10 gallon beers, and sometimes that much for a 5 gallon Russian Imperial Stout. I realize that if I have better efficiency I will need less grains, however I would like to know if any one has experience with using the 15 gallon system and how many grains they found they could reasonably fit into it?

I have the same concern. I'm curious as to why the basket for the 15 gal kettle is 13 inches in diameter when the kettle is 15.75in in diameter. Perhaps there is a reason for the extra 2.75 inches of space (1.375 in on all sides) but it seems like it could have been a smidge bigger. If my calculation is correct, an extra inch in D would add 4-5 more lbs of capacity in grain. Obviously the height is restricted by the element and accessory port.

I've had mine for about five months now. I picked up the dual 120v 10 gallon right before the COFI version was released. I was doing BIAB on an electric stovetop and wanted better control over mash temp and this took care of it. Brew times aren't much different than what I was getting on the stove, probably a little quicker heating to mash temps ( about 20 minutes or so starting with 100 degree tap water). Cleanup takes a little longer with the pump, hoses, and elements to take care of. I'd say about 3.5+ hours average brew day with a little more time necessary for final cleaning. Four all grain and one big extract stout so far and happy with it. Hoping to try out the new iPad app with it this coming week.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Brew-Boss system but my biggest concern is grain capacity. I will only be buying it with the intent of brewing 5 gallon batches with it. I was set on buying the 15 gallon with the COFI but I'm not sure if this is the right pick for me. I had picked the 15 over the 10 since the grain capacity of the 10 gallon is only about 13 pounds of grain. Since the 15 holds 20+ pounds of grain, I was going to go that route but then Darin warned me that although the capacity is greater, some grain may sit above the level of the wort in a 5 gallon batch.

So I'm looking for advice. Should I scrap the idea of getting the COFI since more grain will fit into a BIAB mesh bag? Or maybe I'm completely overthinking this. I just would like to avoid not having enough capacity for the imperials that I'd like to brew.

Thanks in advance guys.

I think you could work around it. If the water level is too low, you could add in an extra gallon or maybe 2 to the mash, then extent the boil time to 2 hours, maybe 3 (I've never done a 3 hour boil) to get rid of the extra water that you added. I cannot speak for electric brewing as I too am just starting to look into it but working with propane, I think longer boil times make a better tasting beer. I know it will make it a little darker and have more caramelization. Just stick to the original hop schedule.

I got the 15 gallon with COFI, and plan to only do 5 gallon batches, and wasn't aware of this potential issue. I've only made one extract batch so far so haven't had a chance to try it with grain. I guess if this is the case, you could always start with a larger strike volume and the extend your boil before adding your first hop addition, but it seems like a bit of a pain to have to do that. I'd also be interested to hear others experience with 5 gallon batches in the 15 gallon COFI system.

I'd love to give you some real experience to feed back, but it may be a while before I brew again...(new baby)

I e-mailed Darin Danelski about the COFI sizes, this was the e-mail and the reply:

mcgimpkins said:
I have never done BIAB before and had a question for you. In the following video comments (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DEjuRk8w0E) you state: "The filters hold up to 13, 20, and 35 pounds for the 10, 15 and 20 gallon sizes respectively. This depends on the grain type and crush, but is a good starting point."

Could you please elaborate upon that in respect to the 15 gallon size? Currently on my systems with a 15 Gallon cooler and batch sparging, I get around 70-73% efficiency, most of the 10 gallon batches I have to use around 25 pounds of grain. Some of the 5 Gallon Russian Imperial Stouts I do (usually at around 65% efficiency on the same system) are around 24 lbs of grain. I realize that with your COFI system the efficiency will go up some, hence the grain bill will go down some, however can I still fit around 25 lbs in the 15 gallon size?

Darin Danelski said:
The 15 gallon COFI filter holds about 20-22 lbs of grain depending on the crush and grain bill. This gives about a 1.052 OG for a 10 gallon batch. With that system, if you need higher OG, then you would be stuck with 5 gallon batches.

The 20 gallon setup is better fit for higher OG 10 gallon batches, but it will not do 5 gallon batches.

I guess another solution to fitting grains in the COFI could be that you subtract out some of the 2-Row from the mashing Grain Bill, then add it in in the form of 2-Row DME during the boil.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Brew-Boss system but my biggest concern is grain capacity. I will only be buying it with the intent of brewing 5 gallon batches with it. I was set on buying the 15 gallon with the COFI but I'm not sure if this is the right pick for me. I had picked the 15 over the 10 since the grain capacity of the 10 gallon is only about 13 pounds of grain. Since the 15 holds 20+ pounds of grain, I was going to go that route but then Darin warned me that although the capacity is greater, some grain may sit above the level of the wort in a 5 gallon batch.

So I'm looking for advice. Should I scrap the idea of getting the COFI since more grain will fit into a BIAB mesh bag? Or maybe I'm completely overthinking this. I just would like to avoid not having enough capacity for the imperials that I'd like to brew.

Thanks in advance guys.
With the 5 gallon system without the COFI, just a bag in the basket, I maxed out with a 15lb grain bill. About 8 gallons of water and the grain for a 60 minute boil put me pretty close to the top of the kettle.

With the 5 gallon system without the COFI, just a bag in the basket, I maxed out with a 15lb grain bill. About 8 gallons of water and the grain for a 60 minute boil put me pretty close to the top of the kettle.

Are you talking about the 10 gallon kettle or the 15 gallon kettle? I've done up to 23lbs of grain in one 5 gallon batch (RIS) without the COFI filter in the 15 gallon kettle and had no issues at all. For those of us with the bags one thing you can do to eeek out a little more room is to hold back some of the mash water and sparge with it after mashing. For instance mash with 6.5 gallons of water which would allow more room for the grains and then pour the other 1.5 gallons over the bag as it is draining. Not only does this give you more room for a bigger grain bill, it will help with efficiency as well. I do this sparge step every time now and it has increased my efficiency by about 10%.

Thanks in advance guys.

Thought I would chime in. I have the 15 gallon with the COFI and so far so good. I have done two high gravity brews, a DIPA and a RIS, both with over 20 lbs of grain and OG of over 1.09. My initial water volume with both is about 10 gallons. The efficiency is down a little but still over 70 percent with no issues. My second running was under 1.03 so i didn't use the second running, If so I might have to cap the grain bed.

anyone know if there are plans to release the software on iOS?

In the FAQ he says that they've looked at it but iOS has some major barriers to allowing them to develop for it. They made it for Android because it's an open development system. They recommend using an emulator if you have to be on iOS. Sorry.

The 7" Samsung Android Galaxy tab 4 can be had for $149 if that helps?

In the FAQ he says that they've looked at it but iOS has some major barriers to allowing them to develop for it. They made it for Android because it's an open development system. They recommend using an emulator if you have to be on iOS. Sorry.

The 7" Samsung Android Galaxy tab 4 can be had for $149 if that helps?

iOS software is released and available for download. I actually love that I have a dedicated tablet for brewing so I'm not going to download the iOS to my ipad. Already mounted up the tablet that came with the system and it is looking good!!!

attachment.php

iOS software is released and available for download. I actually love that I have a dedicated tablet for brewing so I'm not going to download the iOS to my ipad. Already mounted up the tablet that came with the system and it is looking good!!!

Wow he needs to update his FAQs, I was just on their reading today and it still says this.

" Q. Will your software work on my iPad, mac or pc?

A. The current application is written for Android tablets only as it is a very open source friendly environment. We include a 7" Android tablet with the controller. We recommend the tablet used for this system be dedicated to your brewery and not be used as a daily personal assistant. Bloating the tablet up with games and other apps takes away precious resources that the real time controls within the Brew-Boss App rely on. We are currently working on porting the Android app to iPad. A few thousand hours have already gone into the Android app, and some limitations if the iOS platform are quite honestly making it difficult to port over. For those that want to run on a Windows or MAC system, there is an awesome Android Emulator (virtual machine) called the ANDY Android emulator. You can use your Windows or MAC Laptop or PC to run the Brew-Boss Android App! If you prefer that option, simply select No Tablet when configuring your system."

Looks like he was too busy building the app to update his FAQ's :D

That and answering my daily questions about the system :eek:

After much deliberation on the grain capacity topic, I've decided that I am going to purchase the controller and build a system.

Has anyone come across an explanation on the placement of the temp probe. It looks like it is slightly higher than the element port and between the element and the outlet. Perhaps that's what returned the most consistent temp results? I've seen so many different positions for temp probe placement with eBiab but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what's best.

You could email Darin and ask him but, knowing him, I'm sure a lot of thought and testing went in to the decision. Just trust thats probably where it worked best. With the basket, it cant be very high up the kettle either so the choices were sort of limited anyway.

I just realized why the basket isn't bigger in diameter... if it was any bigger, it would be blocked by the accessory port at the top of the kettle.

Has anyone come across an explanation on the placement of the temp probe. It looks like it is slightly higher than the element port and between the element and the outlet. Perhaps that's what returned the most consistent temp results? I've seen so many different positions for temp probe placement with eBiab but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what's best.

It's not directly above the element port, if that's what you mean, but it's offset from it, and higher it the kettle. I reckon the placement is just to ensure ports aren't too close to each other where assembling and disassembling would become difficult. The temp probe is accurate in that it reads pretty close to a thermapen in the same liquid.

Have it almost ready to go. Just bought a plate chiller and set it up with the pump. Upgraded all of my connections to camlocks. Here is some more candy for the eyes :)

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

I used the new iPad app yesterday. There appear to be a couple of bugs that need to be worked out. The pump wouldn't power on without manually toggling it off and then back on with the button in the app each time it was needed. The boil detect never appeared on the screen either so I was never able to progress to the next steps for hop additions. I just used the slider to control the boil and timed everything the rest of the way.
Looks like it is back to the android app for now.

So now that I have everything set up, I am most likely going to brew this weekend. I have 2 questions:

- I know that I should be using the Swirl Boss after I finish my boil. Would it be ok if I routed the wort through the plate chiller while doing the swirl? I figured that it would make my cooling more efficient, in case I can't get down to pitching temp in one pass of the plate chiller.

- What do we think about using the swirl boss for filling the fermentor as well? I want to aerate the wort as much as possible and that sounds like the best solution. Right?

The process that I have been using is to whirlpool and then run though my CF chiller. I can chill a 6 gallon batch to 65 degrees in about 10 minutes with recycled water. I only use the whirlpool is I am using pellet hops and have a lot of trub at the bottom. Give it a try and let us know what you find out. What is fun is that this Brew Boss system is new and it works. The processes are still a learning curve. What I have learned is that the product support is good and above all, keep it simple.

So did my 2nd brew with the 15 gallon COFI system....everything went perfect....19lbs of grain for a 5.5 gallon batch....1.086 SG

For those wondering....Pretty sure I could of got another 5-8lbs of grain in the COFI basket.

one thing I think the kettle needs is a pickup tube....anyone installed one...not sure what to use with the tri clamp out port to make it work...thoughts....I personally like the SSbrewtech trub damn...would like something similar installed on the brew boss kettle

So now that I have everything set up, I am most likely going to brew this weekend. I have 2 questions:

- I know that I should be using the Swirl Boss after I finish my boil. Would it be ok if I routed the wort through the plate chiller while doing the swirl? I figured that it would make my cooling more efficient, in case I can't get down to pitching temp in one pass of the plate chiller.

- What do we think about using the swirl boss for filling the fermentor as well? I want to aerate the wort as much as possible and that sounds like the best solution. Right?

I like the idea of using the swirl boss to fill the fermenter...I'll try that next brew

So did my 2nd brew with the 15 gallon COFI system....everything went perfect....19lbs of grain for a 5.5 gallon batch....1.086 SG

For those wondering....Pretty sure I could of got another 5-8lbs of grain in the COFI basket.

one thing I think the kettle needs is a pickup tube....anyone installed one...not sure what to use with the tri clamp out port to make it work...thoughts....I personally like the SSbrewtech trub damn...would like something similar installed on the brew boss kettle

I have a pickup tube in mine which reduces my dead spot in the kettle from 1.75G to only .5G (maybe a little less). I have it angled toward the kettle wall so that most of the trub from the whirlpool will remain in the middle and undisturbed as long as you drain slowly. I just used a regular 1/2" SS 45 elbow I think. I'll try to tke a picture if I can.

After much deliberation and running cylindrical volume calculations, I decided to pull the trigger on a kettle today and "DIY" this setup. The only real part I will be doing myself is soldering a copper sparge ring to a female MPT. The rest of the fabrication will be done handled by three vendors:

-Brew Boss for the controller and element
-Utah Biodiesel Supply for the basket
-Brewers Hardware for everything else.

If all goes to plan, I'll just have to assemble the parts when they arrive. The system should be able to accommodate 45-50 lbs of grain but also be able to brew 5 gallon batches.

Here is my flow chart for the kettle. Not the prettiest thing ever, but you get the idea:

@FreddyMar3 Interesting, what size kettle are you getting? What the the dimensions and length of the feet of the brew basket your getting from Utah Biodiesel? Are you going to put a sparge arm on it or going to try and build something like the COFI arm to go down the center?

20 gal kettle from Brewers hardware. Basket will be 15.25in D by 20in H with 3.5 in feet. I'll have to take some final measurements after I get the kettle before I settle on exact specs.

I'm planning to fashion a sparge spiral from 1/2 in soft copper but might still try to come up with a COFI equivalent. I'm just not sure how confident I am that the COFI style adds that much vs a sprinkler style.

Would something like this: 1" Tri Clover Compatible Style Pickup Tube work on a brew boss kettle as a pickup tube?

'm planning to fashion a sparge spiral from 1/2 in soft copper but might still try to come up with a COFI equivalent. I'm just not sure how confident I am that the COFI style adds that much vs a sprinkler style.

Post up what you come up with and how you like it when you do build it.

So I attempted to reconfigure my system (15 gal w,basket and bag, no COFI) just a bit, mostly due to the addition of a chugger pump (I had two of the tan plastic 12v pumps fail). I had previously just had the pump directly screwed onto the kettle valve which was attached to a sight glass. When the pump worked all was fine, except I felt I was leaving too much wort in the CF chiller by "pushing" the liquid versus pulling as was necessary due to the pump being "hard plumbed" to the kettle valve.

So I neatened everything up, added camlock fittings everywhere and mounted the CF chiller below the pot on my stand assuming gravity would do most of the work. I mounted the new chugger pump below that assuming again that gravity would help and that it had plenty of juice to pump back up to the recirculation arm. (Note, I did not mount a throttling valve on the output of the pump - came up a little short on the new fittings).

I tested it all with a water run.

Problem 1. During the mash recycle phase (no CF in the circuit), I got very little to no flow and what appeared to be a lot of air in the intake side of the pump. After much f'ing around, it became apparent that the air was being drawn in from the sight glass. Removed sight glass and problem solved...mostly.

Problem 2. I could not get any flow trying to "suck" fluid through the CF chiller at all. I had to abandon this approach and go back to "pushing" liquid through it. Between trub loss and liquid in the chiller and lines, my brewhouse efficiency drops a few points.

Problem 3. See "mostly" from Problem 1. I went ahead and brewed with no sight glass and the "push" method. During mash, I was still seeing what appeared to be air in line on the intake side. Can't imagine where it was coming from except that maybe the pump was pushing out faster than the mash could be drawn in. The output from recirc arm was very strong and i had foam (5 gal batch in 15 gal pot) coming out the edge of the lid.

Problem 4. The controller which until this point has been pretty flawless in maintaining temps was all over the place. I can't believe it has to do with the pump, but that is the only change. It would get to target temp using 10% power, shut down the heater and I get a good 4-5 degrees of overshoot. Then, it would drop 3 degrees below target. These temp changes were taking place in tens of seconds, not minutes, which seems impossible. I resorted to manually adjusting power trying to anticipate the temp changes.

I think Problems 1 and 3 get solved with a throttle valve on the output of the pump.

I'd like any opinion on Problem 2 and whether my attempt to "pull" the wort through the chiller is reasonable.

I have no idea what to do about problem 4. The parameters were the standard 5 gal parameters that I've used in the past.

Sorry that was way longer than I expected.

thanks,
Mark

FreddieMar3, I am very interested in your plans. Question - what would make it capable of also doing 5 gallon batches? What would be different than the Brew Boss?

Back