Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the compliments!!
As far as equalizing the negative pressure in the room from the vent hood. I have an 8" motorized damper that is wired into the vent hood that opens with the power of the hood fan. I do have to admit I learned this the hard way (sucking air thru my hot water vent).

thanks for the compliments!!
As far as equalizing the negative pressure in the room from the vent hood. I have an 8" motorized damper that is wired into the vent hood that opens with the power of the hood fan. I do have to admit I learned this the hard way (sucking air thru my hot water vent).

Would love to see photos or my info on the design. I didn't even consider opening a window when running the fan :eek:

So I am having some boil off issues. I think I need to dial down the power. Started with 8.5 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe and ended up with 3.75! I think that the fact I am at 5000 ft with only 20% humidity means I am boiling off more than 1.25 gallons per hour. I will make some adjustments and let the forum know, but for all 3 batches I have brewed so far I have ended up short on wort.

For starters, I am at 3800 ft and low humidity. For a 5 gallon brew and 11 lbs of grain, looking for between 5.5 to 6 gallons in the carboys, I have been starting with about 10 gallons of water. I loose about a gallons to trub and a little over a gallon to absorption. I have a vigorous boil at 205 degrees indicated. So I do loose about 2 gallons during a 60 minute boil. I have yet to have to use the trub and junk to get 5.5 gallons. My efficiency has been about 80 % Good Luck

For starters, I am at 3800 ft and low humidity. For a 5 gallon brew and 11 lbs of grain, looking for between 5.5 to 6 gallons in the carboys, I have been starting with about 10 gallons of water. I loose about a gallons to trub and a little over a gallon to absorption. I have a vigorous boil at 205 degrees indicated. So I do loose about 2 gallons during a 60 minute boil. I have yet to have to use the trub and junk to get 5.5 gallons. My efficiency has been about 80 % Good Luck

Thanks, my last brew was exactly the same grain bill. Sounds like I just need more water. I appreciate the help. Next brew is in 2 weeks 10 gallons it is!:)

You are more than welcome. I usually hate to throw out the trub as I hate to waste anything, but with the better efficiency I guess It is a wash over the old system.

Today I final had a chance to brew a batch on my two vessel system. It all went fairly well. It looks like I'll have to adjust the parameters to suit the BoilCoil better (I think I currently have them set on the recommended default for 5 gallon batches). During the boil the power was at 20%, but I needed 70% to maintain a nice rolling boil. The power also went too low as it approached setpoint.

Here's a photo of how I had the system setup in my kitchen:
Camera360_2015_5_3_020212.jpg

Here's the default steps that I wrote for my setup:
Two Vessel Default.jpg

Thought I'd share this video from Darin (of Brew Boss) using and cleaning the COFI. Just makes me want it even more ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The one thing I noticed during the run was that I had to stir the HT to equalize the temperature in it and get the thermo probe to read that temperature. I'm not sure if this just a characteristic of an electric system, how I have my HT setup (Boil Coil and probe location) or the short length of the probe. The probe I got with the system does not penetrate into the HT, it ends at the wall. They do have longer probe available now, so maybe that will help. At a minimum I plan on recircing the HT to mix the water.

The new longer probe makes a big difference. The short probe that you have tends to read a couple of degrees lower than the actual temperature. The new longer probe extends further into the kettle and is very accurate.

I'll second the need for the longer probe. I bought it the second they became available. The issue I had with the smaller probe is that (my theory) it didnt extend far enough into the kettle and so was actually reading the temp of the kettle walls and not the wort within. This caused my mash temps to always be about 4-5F, verified with a ThermaPen, higher than the Brew Boss controller was reading. Since installing the longer probe the Brew Boss and ThermaPen read exactly the same.

I went ahead and ordered the longer probe.

Must be a characteristic of my HT, even with the longer probe I still had to recirc to get a uniform temperature. I do feel however that the probe was reading temperature very accurately.

I also still need to recirc to get even temps but I dont think that has anything to do with the probe itself. I've found both the short and long versions to be very accurate when tested against a thermapen outside of the kettle.

Officially just order the Deluxe System with the COFI Filter...Thanks for all the comments to help me make a decision...look forward to writing up a review

I just received the 15 Gallon setup with BIAB and can't figure out how to put sparge arm through the bag, no opening on it...what am I doing wrong?

I just received the 15 Gallon setup with BIAB and can't figure out how to put sparge arm through the bag, no opening on it...what am I doing wrong?

Page 40 of the manual.

(i was wondering the same thing as i have the older model with the sparge arm attached to the lid)

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I watched the Brewboss brewing video and saw his whirlpool method. Did anyone else think "Hot Side Aeration" when you saw him whirlpool his wort? I mean that stream was shooting at a pretty high velocity and introducing a lot of oxygen into the wort.

Am I off base here?

I thought exactly same. Though in truth I am not really sure what the detriments of HSA are. I've only seen it discussed on the forum, but never personally saw it in any literatures I have read. We add O2 pre-fermenter, so not sure what the difference is.

-BD

I've read a little bit of it. Mr. Wizard has an article on it. HSA is different then aeration.
https://byo.com/hops/item/861-hot-side-aeration--storing-hops-mr-wizard

"Hot-side aeration is a loose term referring to oxygen pickup in the “hot side” operations of brewing. These include mashing, lautering, wort boiling and hop separation at temperatures ranging from about 120–212° F. Over about the last 15 years, researchers have presented evidence that hot-side aeration — especially prior to wort boiling — decreases the shelf-life of beer by increasing the concentration of oxidized fatty acids. These compounds are carried forward into the beer and impart classic stale flavors such as the infamous “wet cardboard” type of oxidation."

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to modify the whirlpool arm to reach below the surface of smaller batches, right?

Darin talked about this. He sent out a video to owners. People were questioning why the whirlpool arm wasn't long enough for 5 gallon batches. He said the whirlpool arm must be above the wort level. He mentioned he has been brewing this way for years with no sign of off flavors from HSA.

I thought I would post some pics of the stand I made for my new 15 gallon Brew Boss system. I also mounted a plate chiller on the right side. Last piece of the puzzle is a custom vent hood I'm building for boiling in the garage.

I love browsing posts on HBT for pics of custom projects so I figured I'd finally contribute.

Photo May 16, 10 24 58 PM.jpg

Photo May 16, 10 25 18 PM.jpg

Photo May 16, 10 25 31 PM.jpg

I thought I would post some pics of the stand I made for my new 15 gallon Brew Boss system. I also mounted a plate chiller on the right side. Last piece of the puzzle is a custom vent hood I'm building for boiling in the garage.

I love browsing posts on HBT for pics of custom projects so I figured I'd finally contribute.

Very nice set up!!! Well thought out.

Nice cart, looks beautiful. Question, what are you using or are you using a list for the bag or the COFI.

I have the COFI filter and I have an electric hoist/winch in my garage that I use to lift it after mashing. It's actually the same one Darin uses in his latest Brew Boss brew day video (I think). It was right around $100 on sale at Northern Tool last weekend.

Speaking of Darin, I sent him an email yesterday (on a Sunday evening) to ask a question about my system. Within 5 minutes he'd replied back with a number to call him at. I got on the phone with him and he got me back on track with my brew day in a couple minutes. Amazing customer service from an extremely knowledgable guy! I can't say enough about the quality of the equipment and the company behind it.

I have the COFI filter and I have an electric hoist/winch in my garage that I use to lift it after mashing. It's actually the same one Darin uses in his latest Brew Boss brew day video (I think). It was right around $100 on sale at Northern Tool last weekend.

Speaking of Darin, I sent him an email yesterday (on a Sunday evening) to ask a question about my system. Within 5 minutes he'd replied back with a number to call him at. I got on the phone with him and he got me back on track with my brew day in a couple minutes. Amazing customer service from an extremely knowledgable guy! I can't say enough about the quality of the equipment and the company behind it.

+1 on giving the biggest props possible to Darin. He always hits me back within 5-10 minutes whenever I have had a question about anything. I seriously don't know how he finds the time to do what he does and answer all our questions so quickly. The man is amazing.

First post for this very new member to the forum. I have heard very little talk about the 120V 10 gallon system. Would love the 15 with COFI but rent a home with no 240 outlets. So I am limited to 120Vfor now.

Dito about the customer service. I have made some mistakes on running my programs and Darin has helped me out. Can't say enough about the quality of this equipment and the product development. You can run it automatic but still have full control of times and temperature. Temperature control is what is so easy. My brew day for a five gallon batch is now 3 to 4 hours. About the 10 gallon, 110 system, Call or email Darin.

First post for this very new member to the forum. I have heard very little talk about the 120V 10 gallon system. Would love the 15 with COFI but rent a home with no 240 outlets. So I am limited to 120Vfor now.

The 120V isn't bad if you plan on doing only 5 gallon batches. You will need two different circuits to run it.

You might want to think about either waiting (depending on how long you plan to stay in your apartment) or asking if you can have a 240V outlet installed. The 240V unit will give you the option to brew 10 gallons. If you decide to go with the 120V unit and 2 years down the road want to brew 10 gallons, you will be kicking yourself. The few years I have been brewing I have learned to buy equipment for what I want to do in the future, not what I want to do now. Obviously that only works if the equipment you need in the future works with what you can brew now lol

I have been salivating over this system for the last 3 months. Just sold my B3 tippy dump system yesterday so I can officially start my brew garage renovation. Planning to go with the 20 gal system.

I might have missed this, but has anyone tried doing temp readings of the mash with a separate thermometer to compare how close it is to what the tablet is displaying?

I have been salivating over this system for the last 3 months. Just sold my B3 tippy dump system yesterday so I can officially start my brew garage renovation. Planning to go with the 20 gal system.

I might have missed this, but has anyone tried doing temp readings of the mash with a separate thermometer to compare how close it is to what the tablet is displaying?

As long as it is installed correctly it will be just as accurate as any other electronic thermometer.

As long as it is installed correctly it will be just as accurate as any other electronic thermometer.

I did my first brew last night and measured throughout with my Thermapen and the probe read the same temp...very accurate...very impressed

Yes I have, with a brand new Themopen that I bought for my old system. Using this as well as my other thermometers, I have checked over the first four runs, all were spot on. This is part of the beauty of this system, easy control of time and temperature. I guess I might just sell my ThermoPen.

Is it the WARN PullzAll Handheld Electric Pulling Tool? Just curious so I can be on the look out as it's almost $200 right now.

Question for your Brew Boss owners... is there a way to program the tablet to start heating the strike water automatically at a certain time? Say I am leaving work at 5:30 and I want my strike water to be ready to go when I get home, is it possible to have the system do that if I prepped my water in the morning? If so, that would be amazing.

I don't think anyone would advise doing that. You would have a 240V wet electronic system on when you aren't home. Many things could go wrong and you wouldn't be home to doing anything about it.

With that said, you could simply make the first step a heating step. Put the temp to 30° for the amount of time you will be gone for. Say you turn it on at 7am and get home at 5pm, you could set the first step to 30° for 9.5 hours. Then the second step would be heating to strike temp after 9.5 hours. The water would be heating up during that 30 minutes and should be ready when you get home.

You wouldn't be saving that much time anyway. If you can't spare that 30 minutes to heat up the strike water, maybe you should wait for another day. If something goes wrong in the brew process and you don't have that time to fix it, you will most likely just screw up the finish product.

What is the max OG you guys are achieving on a 10 gal batch without adding any sugar in the boil. Says on the site that the COFI for the 15 gal kettle holds 20 lb of grain. at 76% efficiency that;s guessing around 1.055.

Freddy, I have yet to brew a 10 gallon batch but I have cooked a 21 lbs load of brain for a RIS a while ago. I was about 1.1 OG and generated about 6 gallons of brew into my carboy. I had plenty of room for more grain, you will loose efficiency though. maybe a longer mash out? If you did this, you could add enough water to generate 10 to 12 gallons.

So some of you guys have had your rigs for about a year now-still happy? Do you ever do partial mashes? Has the system sped. Up your brew day? What are your times from start to finish?

Back