Brett to Finish Overly-Sweet Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Will brett clean up a beer that finished too sweet? I have a lager that contains a lot of crystal malt and accidentally went through the wrong mash, and I don't think I can drink it unless I do something. It stopped at 1.015. The fermentation went well as far as I could tell, but now I have overly sweet beer and the head is pretty lame. My wild guess is that I'm tasting unfermentable sugars, but I don't really know.

I don't know if brett would help, but it's an interesting question. And there is always amylase.

I don't think I have anything to lose here.

Brett does have some ability to break down and ferment dextrins so it might be worth a shot, and hold the enzymes for later if the needle doesn't move...

Cheers!

Unless you want leathery or pineappley flavors in your lager I wouldn't use Brett. It will lower your FG but will flavor the final product. Maybe add some top cropping yeast that is actively fermenting. I haven't tried enzyme so I have no experience if it will help you post fermentation. Another thought, you might want to dry hop to extract some bitterness to balance the sweetness. I would use some kind of a earthy/grassy/herbal hop opposed to some super fruit bomb.

I read a paper that said cascade hops are more prone to hop creep then most. Maybe dry hop with cascade and bring to 68* or so for a few days.

Back