What's your best "fix" for a beer that finished too sweet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds plausible. So what's the limit without worty compounds?
I have no idea. I can only say that I have not reached a limit with my raw ale experiments where I routinely must have hit 400 ibu and above hopped water levels. How much higher it can go, I don't know.

Obviously no way for me to measure, expect for judging the taste of the resulting beer.

Your beer is actually something some people aim for. It doesn't mean it's what you aimed for, but it is something entirely fine to have.
Exactly!

We just had our yearly campout, and aside from a plethora of kegs, many of us had brought (mostly commercial) craft beer bottles with high gravity, mostly dark/black beer to share. The majority of those bottles were well over 10% ABV and 1.023 FG, pouring like used motor oil from the sump on a cool morning. Delicious!

Truly, events or (small) gatherings are best for sharing those precious liquids. Everyone brings a bottle and let them make the rounds. We call it Big Beer, it's become a tradition!

Exactly!

We just had our yearly campout, and aside from a plethora of kegs, many of us had brought (mostly commercial) craft beer bottles with high gravity, mostly dark/black beer to share. The majority of those bottles were well over 10% ABV and 1.023 FG, pouring like used motor oil from the sump on a cool morning. Delicious!

Truly, events or (small) gatherings are best for sharing those precious liquids. Everyone brings a bottle and let them make the rounds. We call it Big Beer, it's become a tradition!
Oh man, thank you so much for your on point description of the stout I've brewed and which I meant to put a bottle of in the fridge so I can have the first of this batch tonight! Totally forgot that! What a disastre that would have been!

Thank you for saving my evening good sir!

Oh man, thank you so much for your on point description of the stout I've brewed and which I meant to put a bottle of in the fridge so I can have the first of this batch tonight! Totally forgot that! What a disastre that would have been!

Thank you for saving my evening good sir!
Glad to oblige.
Enjoy your evening, it has all the promise of being sumptuous and rewarding!

You can also add tetra hop to increase the ibu's, many breweries do this just before bottling.

You can, but tetrahop is not generally available in retail packaging (although I see Geterbrewed in Ireland now do it). "Ordinary" isomerised hop extract is fairly widely available in Europe (eg THBC) but weirdly is pretty hard to find in the US, the major retailers only sell unisomerised "hopshots" and the like.

Well now you all got me thinking about recreating precisely this same beer, just so I can mix it with some chocolate and graham cracker flavoring/tinctures!

Spoiler for the eff-up in the first place: failure to notice that the AA percentage on a pack of Magnum hops were only 9%, not the 16% that I'd used the last time I'd printed this particular recipe.

Spoiler for hop-tea: do not ever, under any circumstances TASTE a high ibu hop-tea! OMG thought I was gonna die!

Spoiler for the eff-up in the first place: failure to notice that the AA percentage on a pack of Magnum hops were only 9%, not the 16% that I'd used the last time I'd printed this particular recipe.

Been there. I figured it out before I brewed, but after I'd already done my shopping. Thankfully had some leftover hops in the freezer I could use.

There are a few things that are good to have as backups (amounts may vary depending on how much you brew at once):
* An ounce of Magnum hops
* A pack of S-05 yeast
* A pound or three of some light DME

Latest posts

Back