Brett only culture for trade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
I'm hankering for a good Brett Saison - haven't had one around for a while. My only Brett only culture I have on hand is Brett C, and that doesn't sound like what I want - too fruity, and I'd like more hay/earthy funk.

I'm a 3- hour drive from the nearest HBS of which I am aware, so I normally buy yeast/cultures online. Last fall I brewed a farmhouse beer with Suburban Brett from Imperial, and I'm kicking myself for not hanging on to some of that, though that too was pretty fruity when young. I have a single bottle of Orval that might fit the need, so that's a possibility, but does anyone have a Brett only strain they'd be willing to share/trade/barter for? Most of my current cultures have bacteria, and not the hop-intolerant kind, and I'm not looking for another sour right now.

I'd rather not order from Northern Brewer (my favorite online stores are absent of Brett strains right now). If I have to order online, anyone have any suggestions for hay/earthy funk? I see The Yeast Bay is also out of just about everything. Stupid pandemic...

Ive got OMEGA All The Bretts but it was pretty fruity the last time I sampled @ 6 mos. I plan to sample again this weekend(just over a year) and I will let you know if it changed at all.

With its description I was expecting more of a balance between earthy funk and fruity.

I'd like to try All the Bretts sometime. I can't decide if it would be interesting or overkill.

I think I've scrapped the idea of a Brett Saison for now - I just drank an Orval. Every time I do that, I get weird ideas, like my next batch is going to be world class. Trying to clone Orval would be like trying to recreate the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in your garage. But, I think I'll do something "inspired by" Orval and save the Brett Saison for later (and I just remembered the Bier de Coupage that has been aging in my basement - it might be near ready to scratch that itch).

If you are interested in TYB Amalgamation II, I have that also. That one is extremely fruity, just over a year on my first brew with it and I would say it hits there descriptors exactly.

Back