Brett on a slant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
Can one slant Brett strains and revive them after refrigeration successfully?

A couple years ago, I started slanting my yeast inventory - it's proved to be fun, easy, and cost-effective (especially since my nearest HBS is 3 hours away). At the time, I threw some Omega Brett C that I had in a tube, and it looks to have grown well. Shortly thereafter, I read that Brett doesn't do well refrigerated - that's always struck me as odd since dregs from refrigerated beers can be pitched and the Brett will take off.

Fast forward to now, I brewed an Old Ale with the intent of pitching Brett C in secondary, but my jar of my culture has gone acetic, and since this is the second jar of that culture to have gone acetic, I'm not sure there's much hope for it. Has anyone successfully grown Brett from a slant after 2 years of refrigeration? I can order more, I suppose, but would rather not if I don't have to.

I’ve read/heard the same thing and wondered the same thing. I’ll bet it works. Can’t wait for the update. I don’t use slants but my glycerin/slurry mixes in the freezer work well and so do my inoculated, dried, oak rods at room temp so why not slants in the fridge???

I’ve read/heard the same thing and wondered the same thing. I’ll bet it works. Can’t wait for the update. I don’t use slants but my glycerin/slurry mixes in the freezer work well and so do my inoculated, dried, oak rods at room temp so why not slants in the fridge???
So you freeze Brett in glycerin? Huh.Might have to try that too!

Can one slant Brett strains and revive them after refrigeration successfully?

A couple years ago, I started slanting my yeast inventory - it's proved to be fun, easy, and cost-effective (especially since my nearest HBS is 3 hours away). At the time, I threw some Omega Brett C that I had in a tube, and it looks to have grown well. Shortly thereafter, I read that Brett doesn't do well refrigerated - that's always struck me as odd since dregs from refrigerated beers can be pitched and the Brett will take off.

Fast forward to now, I brewed an Old Ale with the intent of pitching Brett C in secondary, but my jar of my culture has gone acetic, and since this is the second jar of that culture to have gone acetic, I'm not sure there's much hope for it. Has anyone successfully grown Brett from a slant after 2 years of refrigeration? I can order more, I suppose, but would rather not if I don't have to.

I keep slurry with brett beer in the fridge in mason jar just like sacc strains without any problems. They are slow to grow but that seems to be a problem with brett generally. I have a mixed sacc/brett culture that is five years old and has spent its entire life in the fridge. I have no problem getting brett to wake up and ferment in the beers.

I wouldn't be overly concerns about your jars turning acetic unless you see acetobacter mothers floating in it. Brett creates acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. If your starters or cultures are getting access to a lot of oxygen they will do that. Pour off the liquid and pitch the slurry. No problem.

Ok, for those keeping score, brett apparently can be kept on a slant, or at least Omega Brett C can. One week post slant-grab and it's going gang-busters. Unless, that is, I got some sort of sacc contamination (which I don't see as likely at all).

Back