Brett Fruit Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pellicles you folks using buckets on these brett beers look amazing, alot of o2 exposure it would seem. I barely get a pellicle in my Better Bottles and glass carboys until I pull a sample. Which usually isnt for 3 months.

I was on a kick with Brett Saisons with fruit in the summer/fall, they both turned out fantastic. I did one with Mangos that I pureed then racked onto for 3 months and the other was fresh NJ Peaches from a farm in South Jersey. I went with 1.25lbs of fruit per gallon, and the ECY03 brett blend. I plan to do many more when fruit season rolls around again.

Cheers!

When these were in primary they didn't have pellicles, only after transfer did the pellicles form.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting. I racked two 5gal lambics (1 roselare, 1 lambic bland) into better bottles and 1wk in a plastic primary. Super clean. Even added boiled oak cubes for the beasties. Nothing. I'm patient, so I'm willing to accept that no pellicle means no O2, but I'm a tad surprised. I've had clean beers that had pellicles two weeks into fermentation. These are in month 3 and look as clean as the day they were racked into better bottles. I just assume brett, pedio, and the rest of the gang are taking their sweet time. I'll wait - it'll be worth it.

P

I have a sour going that has ecy20, es bam culture, dc02, iris c2 and st Bretta culture, plus a sour dreg mix. It has no pellicle and is almost 3 months old it hasn't had exposure to the atmosphere since it went in the BB. The fermentation was almost explosive at first and long since died down. I honestly don't expect a pellicle on it till I either have to move it or its year two and time to taste

Interesting. I racked two 5gal lambics (1 roselare, 1 lambic bland) into better bottles and 1wk in a plastic primary. Super clean. Even added boiled oak cubes for the beasties. Nothing. I'm patient, so I'm willing to accept that no pellicle means no O2, but I'm a tad surprised. I've had clean beers that had pellicles two weeks into fermentation. These are in month 3 and look as clean as the day they were racked into better bottles. I just assume brett, pedio, and the rest of the gang are taking their sweet time. I'll wait - it'll be worth it.

P

2weeks is wayyyy too early for a lambic to show signs of funk. Give it 6months before you even look at sampling it, but easily more like 12-18

When these were in primary they didn't have pellicles, only after transfer did the pellicles form.

Yea no pellicles, I don't open my fermenters until I absolutely need to and the Better Bottles do an awesome job of keeping o2 out. But once I racked it onto the fruit there was some o2 exposure, so a pellicle formed.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398226373.105242.jpg
Blueberry before bottling
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398226430.772513.jpg
Raspberry before bottling, notice all the color sucked out of the raspberries.

Apricot Brett, it's intense and very good. Lots of sour with a sweetness that fits right in. Very happy with this bottle

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406605422.009233.jpg

Had a raspberry bottle about 2 days after the apricot and it was pretty spot on. Not as carbed as I would have liked it, probably needs more time. Besides the carbonation, it was as expected, nice sour and tartness with some raspberry in the flavor and nose. Good body to the beer. So far this has been a very successful brew. Hopefully trying the blueberry tonight. Will report back how it is.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407713374.606251.jpg

Blackberry Brett, it's the reason I started this project and it was saved for last for that reason. This was worth it. Awesome aromas of funk and sour and blackberry. The flavors of sour fruit overpower everything else. This will lead to me doing a full 5 gallon batch next just for blackberry.

So far blackberry, raspberry and apricot worked out the best. The blueberry may grow on me and isn't bad just not exactly what I was hoping for I guess.

Now time to go get more blackberries.

Can you post a pick of a raspberry? I'm curious of the color after it extracted so much in secondary.

What was your fruit:beer ratio for raspberry and blueberry? If I missed it earlier, I apologize.

Can you post a pick of a raspberry? I'm curious of the color after it extracted so much in secondary.

What was your fruit:beer ratio for raspberry and blueberry? If I missed it earlier, I apologize.

I don't have a pic of the raspberry but next time I open one I post a pic, it honestly didn't pull as much color as the raspberries showed in loss. I will be increasing the amount next time, for more flavor and color.
The ratio for raspberry was almost 2 lbs for around 2.5 gallons of beer.
Blueberry was 3.1 lbs for around 2.5 gallons.

One thing I didn't do that I wish I had and will make a point to do next time, is to blend the 2 base batches. They are brewed to the same recipe and use the same yeast but I'm just crazy and want to.

Looks great! Glad it all turned out

Thanks, I'm stoked on the results and I've already planned out the next batch. I'm gonna do 5 gallons of blackberry next time and just do a split of apricot and raspberry.

I don't have a pic of the raspberry but next time I open one I post a pic, it honestly didn't pull as much color as the raspberries showed in loss.
well, folks can see how yellow the raspberries are in the bucket, in the photo above...

I will be increasing the amount next time, for more flavor and color.
The ratio for raspberry was almost 2 lbs for around 2.5 gallons of beer.

yeah, that's a little on the low side. standard fruiting rates seem to be closer to 2 lbs/gallon.

Back