Brett belgian dark strong ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico93

Reaction score
Hi to all

I'm already doing a belgian dark strong (ig 1092) with brett lambicus in secondary but now I want to shot a little bit hight!

Belgian dark strong ale 2.0

11lbs Maris otter 68%
1lb flaked barley 7%
1lb crystal 7%
3.5 oz chocolate malt 1,3%
7 oz special b 2.6%
2lb 4oz candy sugar 13%

Tettnag 2.65 oz 60min

Mash 150/152 90min

OG 1111
IBU 44
SRM 37

4 gall

Pitch it on the yeast cake of a belgian blonde that is fermenting right now

After it would like to pitch in secondary some wyeast brett lambicus, I have a gallon of 100% brett and I can use the yeast cake of this.

I have some questions about brett

What is the alcohol tollerance of this brett?
I searched a lot in the Web but I haven't got a clear idea, wild brews say 18% wyeast say 12%

I want to take I'd down minimum to 1012/1010 that is around 13%

What do you think? Can I reach this fg?
Thanks

Nicolò

It'll be a while, but curious to see your results when you're done. Don't know of any Brett BDSAs out there.

i'm brewing it right now with some changes, im going to keep the topic updated!

Done!

this is the final reciper!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5,55 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3,96 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3,96 gal
Bottling Volume: 3,70 gal
Estimated OG: 1,116 SG
Estimated Color: 30,4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34,5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,50 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70,5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs 2,0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3,0 SRM) Grain 1 73,3 %
1 lbs 1,6 oz Barley, Flaked (1,7 SRM) Grain 2 6,7 %
7,1 oz Special B Malt (157,4 SRM) Grain 3 2,7 %
3,5 oz Chocolate Malt (477,2 SRM) Grain 4 1,3 %
2 lbs 10,3 oz Candi Sugar, Amber (40,6 SRM) Sugar 5 16,0 %
0,78 oz Magnum [12,50 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 6 34,5 IBUs
6,0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1214) [1 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 8,6 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 23,25 qt of water at 156,7 F 147,2 F 90 min
mash out Add -0,00 qt of water at 168,8 F 168,8 F 10 min

take a sample today, it's down to 1034 and fermentations seems to be finished (stuck)

i'm going to split it in two and put wlp 099 in one part and brett l in the other

1024 after two weeks, i'm going to wait another month before split and add 099 and lambicus:drunk:

got some problems and i haven't split... i added wlp099 and now is down to 1018 but is going further:)

i know that no one cares about this topic but i keep it updated because i hate when i read a topic of a "project" and it stop before the end!

down to 1013, only one point to reach my goal! it slowed a lot, i think is near the end

The Maris Otter and flaked barley take it out of BDSA territory, but let us know how it turns out. Brett should dry it out if it can handle the alcohol. The funk from the brett, though, might take it oust of style even more.
I'll bet it turns out good. May take a long period of aging, though.

i know that no one cares about this topic but i keep it updated because i hate when i read a topic of a "project" and it stop before the end!

down to 1013, only one point to reach my goal! it slowed a lot, i think is near the end

Au contrare. It sounds interesting to me. Is this a shoot-from-the-hip recipe or did a certain beer or recipe inspire you?

The Maris Otter and flaked barley take it out of BDSA territory, but let us know how it turns out. Brett should dry it out if it can handle the alcohol. The funk from the brett, though, might take it oust of style even more.
I'll bet it turns out good. May take a long period of aging, though.

you are right, is not a dark belgian ale, maybe a speciality ale
maybe i'll separate a very small part and add brett to see if they can handle the alcohol
sure i'll take it loong time in the winery before try it out:mug:

Au contrare. It sounds interesting to me. Is this a shoot-from-the-hip recipe or did a certain beer or recipe inspire you?

i've got the idea drinking this:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/struise-pannepot/37835/
the beer doesn't born to clone this but born from the idea to make something out of the line, something that my dad can enjoy. he like wine and belgian ale and he always say that my beer are low alcohol:cross:

1012 and is working very slow! this yeast tooks a lot to finish!

what formula i have to use to calculate the abv?
brewers friends have an advanced mode and the results changes from 14 abv of the standard method to 15,3 abv of the advanced method

1012 and is working very slow! this yeast tooks a lot to finish!

what formula i have to use to calculate the abv?
brewers friends have an advanced mode and the results changes from 14 abv of the standard method to 15,3 abv of the advanced method

I don't know which formula is best, but all formulas can do is estimate the ABV. You have to send a sample to a lab to be completely accurate. But who cares as long as you have an estimate within a fairly narrow range? What really counts is the taste.

finished at 1011, i hit the goal! (the yeast did:drunk:) this is the second time in a row that beersmith correctly predict my fg perfectly!:rockin:

bottled with 2g/l of sugar.

i forgot to say that i separated a gallon and i added some candy sugar it took it from 1011 to 1026 and fermented only down to 1024. i like it a lot the same, it is a lot like sweeted marsala or something similar maybe fortified wine
:mug::mug:

no, i decided to use wlp 099 instead but i can't change the name of the topic!

it's bottled but i'm not going to open one before christmas

i'll let you know how it turned out!:mug:

i also bottled the other bdsa i made with brett L, it finished at 1004 from 1092:ban:

I actually have one going that was aging in a bourbon barrel and now getting the brett treatment is different

Back