Belgian Dark Strong Ale recipe opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emichon

Reaction score
Looking to get some opinions on this recipe I will try out for a Belgian Dark

7 gallon batch

12 lbs Belgian Pilsner
2 lbs Vienna
5 lbs Abbey Malt
3 lbs Dark Munich
1 lbs Flaked Oats
1 lbs Crystal 60
12 oz Special B
2 lbs Candi Syrup (D-180)
1 lbs Candi Syrup (D-240)

1oz Northern Brewer @ 60 mins (20 IBU)
1oz Hallertauer Mulittelfrueh @ 30 mins (6 IBU)
1oz Styrian Goldings @ 10 mins (3 IBU)

White Labs Wlp500 (Will pitch at 65f and let free rise to around 72f. Looking for something a bit fruity)

90 mins mash @ 150F (BIAB)
90 mins boil

Est. OG 1.107
Est. FG 1.015
12.5%
29 IBU

After the mash I will remove 1 gallon and boil down about to a syrup and re-add to boil.

Using some Northern Brewer because I had some leftover in the freezer.

Will use some RO water. Any good water profile tips?

It's a very complicated grain bill. Ask yourself why you're adding each ingredient and whether it'll bring something positive to the beer. For me, I'd say the vienna and oats could go (replace with pils malt). I can't see it getting down to 1.015 - probably more like 1.022. I think it's likely to end up quite rich and sweet; personally I'd push in another 10% sugar (in place of base malt) OR extra candi syrup (in place of the crystal malt). Also, be careful with WLP500 at warm temperatures - it quickly goes from fruity to acetone!

Good advice so far, but I'd take the nixing even further. Cut the vienna, abbey, munich, and oats altogether. These just muddle up what you want to get from the syrups. Add some sugar, maybe 8 oz. Add pils to get to 1.100 if need be. Cut out the hallertauer. Adjust remaining hops to get your 29 or so IBUs. Target 25-30 IBUs. Doubt you will get your anticipated attenuation. Be prepared for a stalled fermentation.

I’ll play Devil’s Advocate here. I agree with some of the above comments but I also enjoy mixing base malts. My comments are as follows:

1.) Ditch the Abbey, Munich, Crystal 60, and Oats. Up the Pils and Vienna to compensate.

2.) Lower the OG majorly. I am against super high gravity Belgian Dark Strong Ale. You are more likely to have excessive alcohol heat, stressed fermentation and major problems with attenuation. 1.094 maybe?

3.) Swap a pound of D180 for sucrose.

Thank for the replies folks. I'll give that a shot and simplify the recipe.

Any tips for a water profile? I'll be starting with RO water.

Any tips for a water profile? I'll be starting with RO water.

What did you end up using for a water profile? I came to this thread specifically looking for mineral addition recommendations for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

Back