Brazilian Pepper Berries - Unprecedented Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
The Brazilian Pepper, schinus terebinthifolius, is a devastatingly destructive exotic invasive shrub/small tree familiar to all in central and south Florida. Hated by environmentalists, admired by the unschooled, and treasured by beekeepers as one of the few plants in Florida that reliably produce enough nectar to produce a harvestable quantity of surplus honey in the hives. The plant produces an enormous quantity of beautiful, bright, red berries of about 2 millimeters in diameter, borne in copious clusters of hundreds of fruits. The seeds of these fruits, when dried, are the "pink peppercorn" you see in peppercorn melanges and specialty food stores.

Beers have been brewed using the pink peppercorn. About a year ago, I began to be curious about brewing with the fruit, including the seed, rather than the peppercorn which is the seed, with pulp removed, then dried. I harvested a small amount of the fruit and found it sweet, fruity (cherry, lime) and just slightly tart. Delicious. When the seed is crushed in the mouth it is slightly piquant, but not peppery like black pepper or chiles.

I decided that my Brazilian Pepper fruit beer would be an amber. I decided that I would go with a relatively clean bittering hop at a low bittering level and a small flavor addition. I went with Colombus. I wanted enough caramel to provide a sweet backbone as I knew the sugars from the fruit would be fully attenuated. At the end of the active fermentation stage, I added 4.5 pounds of fruit to my five pound batch, 2/3 of which had been ground fine in the food processor. The OG (not including fruit) was 1.052. After the fruit addition and full attenuation, the beer finished at 1.014. I have no idea what volume of sugar was added with the pepper fruit.

The beer was racked from primary onto the fruit and left on the fruit for six days, then racked off again to clear. At racking off the fruit, the beer, at 1.014, was exceedingly, almost undrinkable bitter. Disappointed but determined, here are my working assumptions and strategies:

First, I'm hoping that a good share of the bitterness is in suspended solids, so I'm crashing the beer at below 40F until it's crystal clear.

Second, I'll try blending the beer with an amber that I have in inventory to test whether the main problem is the quantity of fruit.

Third, I'll brew again, this time not processing the fruit in the food processor, hoping that the bitterness was released from the skin when it was shredded in the processer. The extreme bitterness in the beer is simply not detectable in the fruit.

The flavor of the fruit is very appealing, and I still imagine there's a good beer to be had here and I would welcome suggestions.

Note: the web is rife with accounts of the toxicity of this fruit, some of which are echoed on otherwise credible sites by otherwise credible sources. I am aware of this "common knowledge" and I have, obviously, given it little credence.

Just got an idea for a seagrape hefe.
I always wondered if brazillian peppers could be used for anything besides killing mangroves... very interesting.

Just got an idea for a seagrape hefe.
I always wondered if brazillian peppers could be used for anything besides killing mangroves... very interesting.

Good thought. I had never thought of whether sea grapes are edible. People make jams out of them. Try it!

Update, after a couple of days at 40 degrees, the beer has separated. There is a layer, about half an inch, on the top of the beer in the 5 gallon better bottle. Clearly oil from the food-processed seeds. Optimistically hoping that the oil is the bitter component, I drew a thief sample from below the oil. Sure enough it's LESS bitter. Not yet balanced, but I'm encouraged and will obviously let it continue. The beer hasn't cleared and I suspect it will both give up oil and drop more sediment.

First thing that comes to mind would be tannins from such large contact with pureed skins and seeds.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/sumac-more-than-just-native-lemonade/

In this link there is mention of malic acid in plants in this family and also mention of tannic acid.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/almond-22-pink-ipa/124134/

This brewery also seems to have used brazilian pink peppers in this beer so they may be worth an email. Brush up on your Italian first however.

The bitterness is sharper than a tannic bitterness, with which I'm familiar. I don't know what malic acid tastes like.

LOTS of brewers have brewed with pink peppercorns. Elysian Brewing uses them, for example, in their Saison Poivre, which they'll be brewing again in a few weeks.

I remain encouraged by the decrease in bitterness during crashing, and more encouraged by the fact that the beer hasn't nearly cleared yet. I'm hoping all of that bitterness, or most of it, will drop out. We'll see.

Back