Boy am I stupid.. need help asap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
Not sure how I managed this other than simply not paying attention.. I brewed a extract columbus IPA kit tonight from www.morebeer.com.. The extract kits always come with a dry yeast so I didnt think much of it. Yep you guessed it, I brewed the kit, went to make a yeast starter and there was no yeast. I have nothing in the house except a 2 gram yeast packet from a mr beer weizenbeer kit. That packet is probably 2+ years old so im not even sure if its still viable?

Would it be ok to go ahead a put on the bung/airlock just to seal it up, and add the yeast tomorrow afternoon when the LHBS opens?

I know... I know... check all ingredients before starting... I goofed, I admit it.
'

Would it be ok to go ahead a put on the bung/airlock just to seal it up, and add the yeast tomorrow afternoon when the LHBS opens?

I know... I know... check all ingredients before starting... I goofed, I admit it.
'

Do you have a choice? :drunk:

Obviously the longer the wait the greater chance of infection; however, if you read about the "no chill" method of brewing you'll find that if kept sterile, you can keep wort a long time before pitching.

RDWHAHB

You'll be fine. Just cover the thing up quickly and go to the LHBS like you said. Plenty of people experience lag times over a day and end up with good beer. In the future, try to keep an extra pack or two of yeast around just in case you forget again.

Back