Bourbon Barrel Porter Timelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I have a Bourbon Barrel Porter nearing the end of week one in the fermenter. WLP028 Scottish Ale yeast from a starter, very predictable fermentation activity so far. Recipe predicted 1.065 and I was on target, 1.014 is my predicted FG.

Recipe calls for 1-2 weeks in primary, then racked to secondary on oak cubes and 16 ounces of bourbon added to the secondary for 4 additional weeks.

Rather than follow this schedule, I am considering a variation: I currently have the oak cubes soaking in bourbon in a Mason jar now, and it has been for two weeks already. I tasted the bourbon and it is starting to develop a subtle oaky flavor. Of course how does this oak taste stand up when added into 5G of robust beer?

I am considering leaving the Porter in primary for 3 weeks, racking to keg and pitching my oak infused bourbon tincture while kegging. This would give me 4 weeks total soaking the oak in bourbon, then 3 weeks total Porter in primary.

Additionally, if I don't get the oaky flavor I want (I like light oak, not heavy), I could always dry hop the oak in the keg for extra flavor if needed.

My proposed schedule:

Soak oak cubes in bourbon 4 weeks
Porter in primary 3 weeks
Rack to keg, add bourbon tincture and evaluate taste
Cold condition/lager in keg 4 additional weeks under CO2 carbing at serving pressures.

Sound feasible????

That's pretty much how I do similar beers. You'll definitely need that long keg time for that bourbon to mesh well with the beer. Don't rush it if you can at all avoid it.

I'd suggest warm conditioning in the keg instead of cold as it lets the process of maturing happen at a faster pace. I also happen to like porters to have a longer time to mature as I think the flavors become smoother. YMMV

I agree with letting the porter age a little bit. If its done fermenting, letting it sit in the carboy won't hurt anything. You should run some blending trials with your tincture. If you find you don't have enough tincture to adequately infuse the whole 5 gallons, just mix up what you have and rack the remaining porter to a smaller vessel while you soak some more oak in bourbon.

I'd suggest warm conditioning in the keg instead of cold as it lets the process of maturing happen at a faster pace. I also happen to like porters to have a longer time to mature as I think the flavors become smoother. YMMV

I have little experience in porters and stouts and I appreciate your advice very much. I could very easily rack to keg, purge the headspace with CO2, then let sit in a closet where my household temps will be around 68F. Actually this is pretty close to the temp I am fermenting at now in my chamber with the temp controller. (67F) With this being the case, do you think 2 months in the keg at room temp will be about right? Then I'll put in 34F lagering chamber with set and forget gas and give another couple of weeks?

I agree with letting the porter age a little bit. If its done fermenting, letting it sit in the carboy won't hurt anything. You should run some blending trials with your tincture. If you find you don't have enough tincture to adequately infuse the whole 5 gallons, just mix up what you have and rack the remaining porter to a smaller vessel while you soak some more oak in bourbon.

Good point. I will take my time and do this right. I noted that the bourbon takes on oak flavors very quickly right at first, then it slows down drastically. Thanks for the pointers!

I find that my porters keep changing for 3 to 6 months. I know that because I can't wait to taste them.:p

I cleared out a space in my closet this weekend to put the keg away and let it age a bit. If I rack it off primary at two weeks and pitch the oaked bourbon, I'll purge the keg's headspace and leave it be. Closet is 68-69F, so this should be ideal temps to let the porter age and mellow.

I'm serving some fall beers now ie....pumpkin ales and Oktoberfest, so I'm in no hurry to bring the Porter online......glad to let it fully mature. Late Jan or early Feb I'll post you back to report in.

Back