Bought a house with a built in fermentation closet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a house about two years ago. Okay it's not a custom built fermentation closet it's a sauna. We rarely use it, it stays 66-68 degrees year round, it's big enough for around eight people to sit in, and it has no light or sunlight going into it. Perfect fermentation closet.

image-730644709.jpg

image-4104403151.jpg

awesome. I'd be wary of the 66-68 though, with ambient temps in that range you will be flirting with mid 70's for your wort temp. An air conditioner could turn that into a perfect place to ferment.

I would be especially wary of that 66-68F if you are sticking several active fermenters into an enclosed, insulated space like a sauna. The fermentation will produce heat, which will be handily contained by the sauna, raising the ambient temperature.

So far I've never had my wort rise above 70 degrees for anything that has been fermenting.

So far I've never had my wort rise above 70 degrees for anything that has been fermenting.

70 is "ok" but me personally, 68 is about as high as I'll go during active ferm. I start everything below 60, and bring it up to mid 60's by the end(some strains slower than others).

Back