Bottom drain vs dip tube keggle MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrstaples1

Reaction score
I am weighing pros and cons of two keggle MLT designs as I embark on my first recirculation mashes. The bottom drain (keg upside down, with bottom cut out) with a TC fitting, elbow and nipple like this...
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/sankebdrain5.htm

Or the more common hinged/domed false bottom with dip tube and valve on the side of the kettle. Why would you choose one versus the other? I can imagine having a bottom drain would be nice for cleaning purposes, but then you're talking about a brew stand with a hole or something to accommodate the drain. Bottom drain might also be cheaper (those hinged false bottoms ain't cheap) and more sanitary than a weldless fitting on the side. You can probably tell which way I'm leaning, but I could probably still be persuaded. Or feel free to point me elsewhere if I've overlooked the same discussion in a previous thread.

I use a home made bottom tap. I used the cut out piece for a screen by drilling lots of 1/8 inch holes in it.

Been using it for about 15 years.

I built a bottom drain MLT (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528153).

With a bottom drain MLT you have no dead space and can get a higher efficiency over a dip tube setup.

The TC, Elbow and nipple is the setup I got, works great. After sparging is done and the kettle is boiling, I open up the drain on the MT into a bucket. By the time Brewing is done, the grains are practically dry and are easier to dispose of as well.

The one place I can think of where you wouldn't want a bottom drain vessel would be for the brew kettle if you plan on whirlpooling to get some of the trub out.

I have a bottom draining MLT, I built it from some old Sankey parts that I took apart and fitted with a 3/4" copper pipe, I added a wooden base to hold everything tight, and I also have the recirculating tube in my HLT, this system works great. There is however one isse that I have, and have had to adjust my procedure, when you tour modern breweries, they have a water jet that sprays the grain as it is conveyed into the MLT, this keeps the flour in suspension, my first 3 batches would not run, and even though there was water in first, and I used rice hulls it still got clogged all 3 times and I had to take the grain out and clean it out, then it runs like a dream. So now I add water to my grain bucket and add my strike water to the MLT, then add the wetted grains to the MLT, and the problem was solved. But I love the bottom drain, and the grains do get really dry, and my last batch, a 10gal of 9# pilsner and 9# of wheat malt was 94% first runnings, and 82% overall.

I have a bottom draining MLT, I built it from some old Sankey parts that I took apart and fitted with a 3/4" copper pipe, I added a wooden base to hold everything tight, and I also have the recirculating tube in my HLT, this system works great. There is however one isse that I have, and have had to adjust my procedure, when you tour modern breweries, they have a water jet that sprays the grain as it is conveyed into the MLT, this keeps the flour in suspension, my first 3 batches would not run, and even though there was water in first, and I used rice hulls it still got clogged all 3 times and I had to take the grain out and clean it out, then it runs like a dream. So now I add water to my grain bucket and add my strike water to the MLT, then add the wetted grains to the MLT, and the problem was solved. But I love the bottom drain, and the grains do get really dry, and my last batch, a 10gal of 9# pilsner and 9# of wheat malt was 94% first runnings, and 82% overall.

Good to know. What kind of false bottom are you using?

I have a plastic false bottom, it fits good, someone gave it to me a while ago, so I'm using it. I rigged it up with a copper pipe soldered into another one with holes drilled around it, it works really good, I would have to show a pix for your to understand.

I use a side draining MLT with a dip tube. My main reason for doing so is that I direct fire my mash tun, and recirculating while heating through a bottom drain would scorch the wort.

Back