Bottling today for 1st time ever...any tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't use a bottling bucket my first time, the beer still came out fine, but there was a ton of sediment in the bottles.

I'll be bottling for the first time next weekend and I'm going to make sure to bottle over my open dishwasher to prevent any dribbles from getting on the floor...

Take your time. Especially if you have one of those two-handled cappers (i.e. not a bench/drill press lever type). Sometimes bottles can slip away from you... damhikt...

I just finished my first bottling. Went great because I did take the time to read all of the great tips. Thank everyone on HBT for the tips

The tip of the short tube to the bottling wand and working over the dishwasher door is BRILLIANT.:mug:

I do not have a vinerator but here is what I did and it worked very well.

I opened the dishwasher door. pulled out the bottom rack about half way. Set a big bowl of Starsan on the door. Pulled up a chair. I worked in batches of 12 and set a clean bottle in the bowl of Starsan and took a turkey baster and shot some starsan in the bottle. Put my thumb over the opening and shook it up, poured it back into the bowl and then stuck the neck of the bottle in the starsan and put into the dishwasher rack. Also put the caps in there.

I would then grab a bottle and fill it. set a cap on top and put it on the counter. When 12 were done I got up crimped the bottles. Put them in six pack carriers. and on to the next 12.

It went much smoother than I thought it would with all of the help from this forum.

Now the hard part. Waiting for them to carb up.

4 weeks? I thought that carb time was generally considered to be 2 weeks? Please feel free to correct me as I'm often wrong.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

4 weeks? I thought that carb time was generally considered to be 2 weeks? Please feel free to correct me as I'm often wrong.

2 weeks at rome temp and 2 weeks cold ......but i will probibly try 1 at 1 week and 2 days.....

2 weeks at rome temp and 2 weeks cold ......but i will probibly try 1 at 1 week and 2 days.....

But if your beers not carbed, or conditioned after 2 weeks then by chilling it you are putting the yeast to sleep and it will retard the completion of the carbing/conditioning process. Ale yeast goes dormant at 55ish degree or so, so why would you consider chilling them before the yeast has done the job????

But if your beers not carbed, or conditioned after 2 weeks then by chilling it you are putting the yeast to sleep and it will retard the completion of the carbing/conditioning process. Ale yeast goes dormant at 55ish degree or so, so why would you consider chilling them before the yeast has done the job????

so how can you tell when they are done....

I'll be doing this next week with my first brew as well. I can't believe I've been this patient. Next Thursday will be 3 weeks in the primary so I'm planning on 3 weeks in bottles at room temp and I'll try from there. Simple American Wheat so it shouldn't be a huge deal, but I plan on reading that sticky.

Back