Bottling my barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to bottle my first attempt at an english barleywine. It's been bulk aging for about three months. When I bottle, will I need to add some fresh yeast to make sure it will carbonate? Will this affect the flavor? I have some nottingham laying around that I could use.

I also have about a half ounce of goldings that I could dry hop with. Would a half ounce even be worth using?

If you have a five gallon batch then 1/2 oz. is probably sufficient. I've waited two months with no problems. Just keep in mind the volume of yeast required for bottle conditioning is like 10% that which is required for fermentation. At least that's what Ashton Lewis says about the yeast anyway..

No need to add any fresh yeast. There should be plenty. If really concerned, rub your racking cane across the bottom of the carboy to get a little back in suspension.

Remember, big beers and long conditioning times = long carbonation times; but it will eventually carbonate.

I've had a handful of big beers never carbonate due to high alcohol. A half packet of dried yeast is cheap insurance.

Back