Bottling fruited sours / questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
So I have made plenty of fruit beers with decent success. Those were clean beers. I have made a peach farmhouse that is still rather cloudy and tart after 8 months in the bottle.

I now have a sour blonde that has been sitting on peaches for 6 months. Tastes amazing. We happened to fall in to apricots so we racked out of the barrel on to pureed apricots. That was three weeks ago. We are good to bottle now. The apricots really rounded everything out like we hoped. It had a canned peach aroma that smells much better now with the apricots added.

Now to my question. Cold crash and then add gelatin at room temp? That is about our only option. With all our fresh hop brews about to start up, we will be able to only do one at a time. I am going to throw a bubbler in to cold crash now. I just wanted to get your advice on our method. Cold crash for one day, pitch gelatin after I bring bubbler out of chamber. Is there a third step I need to do after or before gelatin like pectic enzyme?

I should be able do get this done and bottle this Saturday.

You add gelatin to cold beer and that's it. You don't have to add anything else and I don't think you want to take it out of the fridge until it's cleared. I also have my doubts that gelatin will be effective with pureed fruit. I've never used puree, but from what I hear it's a PITA and can make clearing beer or racking tricky.

Back