Bottles -- Clear vs. Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
If its true that clear bottles cause skunked beer that can be prevented by using brown bottles, then how come secondary fermenters ( carboys ) are clear and not brown ?

Because like beer in green or clear bottles, clear carboys should be kept in the dark or covered.

Yeah, I have zip up hoodies on my carboys pretty much just to lock out light. But to answer your question, I think it's so that you can be more effective while cleaning them.

It is also easier to judge fermentation in a clear vessel than in a brown on. I use my old college bath towels to wrap around my carboy in addition to keeping them in a dark place.

From what I have researched apparently it is the hops that are affected by the light. Therefore I am assuming that wine would not be affected by being fermented in a clear carboy, or from being stored in clear bottles.

You're not likely to be shipping your carboy accross the globe where it may sit for days - weeks under flourescent lighting and be periodically exposed to direct sunlight...

...or are you....???

Overhead light from a regular old lightbulb or a small amount of indirect sunlight is okay, right? It just shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight. Am I mistaken?

Mr Nick said:
From what I have researched apparently it is the hops that are affected by the light. Therefore I am assuming that wine would not be affected by being fermented in a clear carboy, or from being stored in clear bottles.

Wrong. You should keep wine and cider and mead out of the light, too. I know white wine is bottled in clear bottles often, but the best thing for them is to store them in a dark, cool place after they are done. During fermentation, they should be kept in the dark and/or covered as well.

StallionMang said:
Overhead light from a regular old lightbulb or a small amount of indirect sunlight is okay, right? It just shouldn't be exposed to direct sunlight. Am I mistaken?

I am not sure what wavelength(s) are primary responsible, but I do believe that the intensity of light can dramatically impact the speed at which the beer skunks. That all being said, why risk it? Keep it in the dark. I keep mine in the cellar in the dark. I don't worry about turning the light on to see, but I would refrain from leaving the light on when I am not in there.

Personally, I keep the boxes that the carboys come in and cut a hole in the bottom, remove the top flaps, and fit that over my carboys. Works great at keeping the light out. I don't know if the incandescent bulbs could skunk your beer or not, but I'd prefer not to take the chance.

Pretty funny vid-cast of light skunking beer:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=september-14-2007---skunking-beer

sib57 i do the same thing but i cut out a small round hole for the airlock. works like a charm.

I've saved up a ton of swing top Grolsch green bottles to use for bottling and was wondering how long it takes to skunkify beer if it gets periodic light like when I open my fridge? Is this a quick reaction or does it take a few weeks under light? I don't plan on leaving my beer in any direct light any longer than it takes me to drink it.

If it's only while you open the fridge it should be ok, but you could use some of those tall sam adams six pack holders to store them. They might be a little tight on those fat grolsch bottles though.

Has anyone seen the Sam Adams commercial where they show how the brown bottles and tall 6 pack holders protect the beer? That answers the clear vs brown question pretty well. We all know that Sam Adams never lies. I was suprised by the fact that they started putting freshness dates on their beer. Seems to contradict some of the stuff I learned here.

Rivercat96 said:
I've saved up a ton of swing top Grolsch green bottles to use for bottling and was wondering how long it takes to skunkify beer if it gets periodic light like when I open my fridge? Is this a quick reaction or does it take a few weeks under light? I don't plan on leaving my beer in any direct light any longer than it takes me to drink it.
Do a google search on Lightstrike. It is a specific reaction with a component of hops (isohumulones) and can happen very quickly. Some hops have more of the component than others. I think Noble hops are very prone to skunking by lightstrike.
Cheers,
Jeremy

Beerdad and Germey, thanks for the quick replies and good info. for a newbie. I'll have to use some something to cover the brews and it looks like I may need to increase the rate that they are consumed just to insure that they don't spoil. God forbid.

:confused: Some people try emulate that skunky taste so their brew tastes like those beers that come naturally skunked:D

Yooper Chick said:
Wrong. You should keep wine and cider and mead out of the light, too. I know white wine is bottled in clear bottles often, but the best thing for them is to store them in a dark, cool place after they are done. During fermentation, they should be kept in the dark and/or covered as well.

Why then is wine placed, displayed, and sold....in Clear bottles?

Mr Nick said:
Why then is wine placed, displayed, and sold....in Clear bottles?
I know absolutely nothing about this, but thought it was an intriguing question. According to the "Bordeaux Undiscovered" blog,

"...colouring the glass minimises the harmful effects of light on the wine. Specifically, light damages the pigments in wine and significantly decreases the colour of red and rose wines over time. Red wines are always packaged in coloured bottles to minimize light-induced damage. This is why you hardly ever see wine bottles stacked up as part of a window display. The best way to store wine is in low-light conditions so that no matter the colour of the bottle, they suffer minimal light damage. White wines are frequently bottled in clear bottles because there is no colour to protect. For marketing purposes, white wines are also bottled in coloured bottles, but it is not to protect the wine from light."

But this being information from the interweb, I have no idea if this is gospel truth or a load of cobblers.

Danek said:
Red wines are always packaged in coloured bottles to minimize light-induced damage.

But this being information from the interweb, I have no idea if this is gospel truth or a load of cobblers.

All you need to do to determine if this a load of cobblers....is to observe (in the Liqueur board) store....Red wine...packaged... and being sold... in Clear bottles.

You're right, but you don't want a fluorescent light. That'll skunk your brew. As does everyone else here, I cover my carboy. I'm not too picky about bottles, though. If I'm using green bottles, I store them in a closed cabinet or the fridge. Both places are dark. As with most brews you'll make, don't stress over it. It'll taste different every time. Some light is fine, just be conscious and don't overdo it. happy brewing

grichar2 said:
You're right, but you don't want a fluorescent light. That'll skunk your brew. As does everyone else here, I cover my carboy. I'm not too picky about bottles, though. If I'm using green bottles, I store them in a closed cabinet or the fridge. Both places are dark. As with most brews you'll make, don't stress over it. It'll taste different every time. Some light is fine, just be conscious and don't overdo it. happy brewing

If Your Brewing Beer I accept the above...I am not even slightly convinced that this information applies to wine...as wine is sold in clear bottles...in stores that have fluorescent light.

Mr Nick said:
If Your Brewing Beer I accept the above...I am not even slightly convinced that this information applies to wine...as wine is sold in clear bottles...in stores that have fluorescent light.
Just because it is marketed successfully one way does not mean it meets a connoisseurs requirements, or even mediocre ones. Heineken has been selling skunky green bottles for decades, and now finally Americans can taste a good one in the little Keg can. Now, the keg can is no different functionally than a Billy Beer can, but it "looks" different enough that Heineken can maintain their premium import status/ perception.

Germey said:
Just because it is marketed successfully one way does not mean it meets a connoisseurs requirements, or even mediocre ones. Heineken has been selling skunky green bottles for decades, and now finally Americans can taste a good one in the little Keg can. Now, the keg can is no different functionally than a Billy Beer can, but it "looks" different enough that Heineken can maintain their premium import status/ perception.

Well I thought the issue was skunky Brew...not skunky bottles.:confused:
I have drank my fair share of wine from clear bottles, and if I ever find that the wine from such bottles has been light struck I will give your post some credibility.

Skunky Bottles :rolleyes: Whats next?

Just to weigh in on the whole offtopic wine thing: it's a matter of time. Wines can get light-struck, but usually it takes a long time. Much longer than it takes for beer to get skunked. Some wines can be aged for decades, sometimes more than a century( I have an unopened bottle from 1910) and in that case need to kept away from direct light for long periods.

"With regard to light, most modern bottles have ultraviolet filters built into the glass that help protect the contents from most of the effects of UV rays. Despite the filters in the glass, long term storage can still allow enough rays in to create a condition in the wine that is referred to as 'light struck'. The result is that the wine picks up the taste and smell of wet cardboard. This is especially noticeable in delicate white wines and sparkling wines." -cellarnotes

I have not tasted this flaw in a wine though. I work at a research vineyard/winery and we don't cover our carboys that contain wine that is often 3-4 years old before bottling. The wine is often fermented in our lab where 5 days a week it is exposed to fluorescent light from 9-5 then dark. Then it is stored in a walk in cooler for ~1-4 years with lights on and off throughout. In these circumstances we have never had a "light struck wine".

I've got clear bottles, green bottle and brown bottles. I try to use the brown for beer and the green and clear for ciders.

When I make beer I cover the carboys only. No problem with the translucent pails. With ciders I don't bother covering.... no hops to get light struck!!

Benny Blanco said:
Um...so yeah. Should you cover fermenting buckets??
My guess is that you'd probably be OK if you didn't, as among all the extensive advice I've been given as a newbie, I've never heard anyone mention this as a potential problem - though then again, that might be because most folks keep their fermenters in dark cupboards. For what little it's worth, I've taped black fabric over the window in my fermenting cupboard to keep it dark, because I figure that it certainly won't harm the beer to make the place darker, and it might help. I get the impression that any harm to the beer would be only pretty slight, so whilst it might help to cover the fermenter, it won't ruin the beer if you don't.

And I'm sure someone better informed than me will be along shortly.

Latest posts

Back