bottles carbing really fast am I in trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnoob007

Reaction score
So I had my Belgian Witt in the fermentor for two weeks and when the bubbling in the air lock slowed down to a minute and a half apart I did three gravity tests three days in a row all gave a final gravity of 1.010.(original was 1.045)It didn't change so I bottled up my batch with a ratio of 3/4 cup priming sugar with two cups water(my batch is five gallons) and bottled away. Its been less than 24 hours now and my bottles are rock hard already(I used the plastic ones from my LHB.) So my question is are they gonna squirt all over the place? Cuz that seems fast for carving up. I'd did lose volume due to trub loss so I did have less than five gallons when I bottled.

What yeast did you use? What temp have the bottles been at? Two weeks seems pretty quick to put into bottles IMO but I keg...

Luckily if you used plastic bottles you can unscrew the caps to let some CO2 out if they are overcarbed.

it ounds liek you didnt wait for the yeast to fully attenuate and disturbing them while bottling was enough to rouse them into getting back to work. With Belgian strains in particular, its good to let the beer get warm near the end to help fermentation to finish

It may be that the yeast and priming sugar formed carbonation pressure, but the beer itself will not be carbonated for a couple of weeks.

Put the beer in plastic totes, with covers, just to be safe in case there is a rupture.

I agree that you may have bottled too early.

Open a bottle and see what the actual carb level is. If it's good as is, then refrigerate the rest to slow carbonation.

So I had my Belgian Witt in the fermentor for two weeks and when the bubbling in the air lock slowed down to a minute and a half apart I did three gravity tests three days in a row all gave a final gravity of 1.010.(original was 1.045)It didn't change so I bottled up my batch with a ratio of 3/4 cup priming sugar with two cups water(my batch is five gallons) and bottled away. Its been less than 24 hours now and my bottles are rock hard already(I used the plastic ones from my LHB.) So my question is are they gonna squirt all over the place? Cuz that seems fast for carving up. I'd did lose volume due to trub loss so I did have less than five gallons when I bottled.

Since your beer had a stable final gravity and you used a resonable amount of sugar (sugar should be weighed next time, it can have different density) your beer will be fine. Given pure sugar, your yeast will work really fast....and then stop. I tried a couple times with plastic bottles and had carbonation pressure within 24 hours. By then the yeast had eaten all the sugar and I had no gushers...but I waited longer to open one because there will be suspended yeast that will form nucleation sites for the CO2 and if you open one immediately it will gush.

Back