Bottled IPA: Drink it young or let it age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Simcoe IPA. This was my first IPA to brew. I have gotten mixed signals online. Some say to drink IPA's young, about 2 weeks after bottling, so as to not have the hops fade away. Others have said let it age 8-12 weeks before drinking. What is everyone's opinion? I have had them in the bottles for 2 weeks now.

I recently brewed a Simcoe IPA. This was my first IPA to brew. I have gotten mixed signals online. Some say to drink IPA's young, about 2 weeks after bottling, so as to not have the hops fade away. Others have said let it age 8-12 weeks before drinking. What is everyone's opinion? I have had them in the bottles for 2 weeks now.

I too would be interested in this since I will be brewing a Simcoe IPA soon. I also am thinking of dry hopping it with some Cascade.

I think they taste good either way. It's a matter of personal preference. As long as you brewed a good beer, had a clean fermentation, and carbonation is complete, the beer should taste good after two weeks in the bottle.

Every beer will have a different "peak", but I definitely prefer my IPAs very young. At my club's last BJCP competition, the best of show was an IPA that had been in the bottle for 8 days.

In that case I like to slowly drink through them to see how they age. I would throw one in the fridge now and see if it is carbonated, it should be after two weeks. Then just sip on them now and then or set aside a six pack to be drank in 3-4 months, it will definitely lose some of the hop "punch" but it wont be a bad beer if it wasn't 2 weeks in.

I have always heard drink IPA's young also, but I agree with agroff383 hid a sixer and see how it tastes in 3-4 months.

It really depends on the beer, but I'm with whatsleftofyou- most of my IPAs are best as soon as they are carbed up.

Some IPAs might be a bit better later on- maybe something that is very bitter, for example, or something loaded with late addition chinook hops, which can be harsh young. But most medium-IBU medium OG IPAs have the best hops aroma and flavor when they are fresh.

Keep in mind that an 8 week old IPA is still pretty young, though! When we talk about drinking them young, that's still not "aged". Two weeks after bottling may be a bit too young, if the beer hasn't had time to clear yet. But anytime from bottling up to about 12 weeks old I would consider a good time to drink an IPA.

I was hoping you guys would say drink some now...I got my dad coming in town tomorrow and he has been asking me alot of questions on homebrewing but isnt sure about it. I'm convinced after a few of my IPA's he'll be hooked.

I like mine best pretty young. I'll keg after two or three weeks, and then it takes another two or three to carb up and clear out. Then they hit a peak for a while.

I'd say sample one every few days or so and then you will find when it gets just right, and then go to town. I mean just because they'll be better in a few weeks doesn't mean that they're not good right now.

Thanks for the tips. Cant wait to brew mine. Might do that tonight. SWMBO is starting to think I am going overboard. I think she is crazy. :p

Back