Bottled into a groweler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralphadopolis

Reaction score
So I bottled some fresh brew into a growler I had, but was wondering how long will it last in there. Would it be the same as a bottle?

I believe that if it has a tight seal it should be fine until you open it. Afters it's open and the amount of headspace it will only last a few days and become less carbonated.

Are you trying to carb your beer in the growler? Or is this kegged beer?

It's not a good idea to try to carb in a growler, they're not meant to hold the pressure generated during the force carbing process. The often explode.

I give a detailed explanation of why here.

If it's kegged beer (already force carbed ;)) into the growler, and you don't open it you probably have a week. Opened a few days.

Revvy, thanks for the link it helped a lot.

So I was Carbonating the beer in the growler (wont do it again), but its already been in there for 2week and has not blown, would a potential explosion happen at the moment I open it or would it happen on its own?

I have never carbed in a grower, but....I have had beer stay "good" in growlers for 4-6 weeks (they may make it longer, but I haven't had one stick around that long).

Revvy, thanks for the link it helped a lot.

So I was Carbonating the beer in the growler (wont do it again), but its already been in there for 2week and has not blown, would a potential explosion happen at the moment I open it or would it happen on its own?

It would most likely happen on its own. I'd keep it at room temp another week (to make sure it's carbed) but keep it inside a big tupperware or something in case it blows. Then carefully move it to the fridge and keep it cold until you want to drink it. Once it's been cold for a couple days there should be much less pressure on it.

Definitely don't do this again, as Revvy mentioned it's dangerous. During natural carbonation the headspace in the bottle actually gets to pretty significant pressures before you chill it to let the CO2 back into the beer, and if you have a small headspace for a larger volume of beer (ex. your growler) it will be even higher. Growlers are made of relatively thin glass and aren't meant for such things!

Back