Bottle size affecting taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErkenneDichSelbst

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a difference in taste between 12 and 24 oz. bottles after aging?

The brew is an IPA around 8%, primary was two weeks then dry hopped in secondary for a week, bottled almost 4 months ago. I've been drinking the 12 oz. fairly consistently since the three week mark after bottling. They were the best in the first couple weeks but over time seemed to lose the hop nose and tasted more bitter, not too bitter just less aroma more bitter on the palate.

I opened one of the four 22 oz. that I bottled today (in need of the bottle for my summer blonde) and it tasted fantastic, much more mellow than the 12's, less bitter, and seemed slightly less carbonated, and had less of the hints of homebrew flavors. Any one experience anything similar or maybe I'm just imagining things? I'm going to try another one just to be sure, and to get the bottle empty... and because I like beer. Still fairly new to this, any input is appreciated.

The diminishing hop flavor/bitterness happens to every hoppy beer. They just mellow out over time.

As far as the sizes... I've never noticed a difference but there may be something to it. Beer tends to "marry" flavors together and mellow out hot-alcohol taste faster when stored in bulk.

Also, were they all stored in the same place for aging? A difference in temperature can result in varying flavors.

Everything was stored at the same temp and refrigerated before drinking. Think I'm going to switch to just 22 oz bottles moving forward. I rarely drink less than that anyway.

I tend to bottle in mixed size bottles, and haven't noticed it. I suppose the different ratio of liquid to trub might make some difference, but it'd have to be a small one.

Back