Bottle Cider in 9oz grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sscroft128

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m about ready to bottle a pear cider and I have a good supply of 9oz grolsch bottles. I plan to use priming drops, is it safe to use these smaller bottles with the drops or am I asking for trouble? Fermentation seems to have completely stopped so I’m thinking the smaller bottles will actually help with carbonation.

The result would depend on the actual drops you're using. But let's say, as an example, that one drop would get you 2.5 volumes of CO2 in 12 ounces of beer. In 9 ounces of beer, the same drop would get you about 3.0 volumes*, which is pretty highly carbonated. I imagine a grolsch bottle could handle that, but I'd look into that.

(* it's not exactly proportional (i.e. not 3.3), because residual CO2 after fermentation would be a constant)

Fermentation seems to have completely stopped so I’m thinking the smaller bottles will actually help with carbonation.

I don't see how they would. Though obviously using a drop intended for 12 ounces would result in higher carbonation, as discussed above. (And fermentation should always have stopped before you start to bottle carbonate.)

Back