Boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJerk

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my system and was wondering how long it takes you guys to get a boil going? Using the burner and kettle seen below.

new+keggle+1.jpg

I filled it with water (more than I'd normally boil) starting at 50 degrees from the hose, probably about 13.5 gallons. I've had the fire going for a while, and it's steadily rising, but it's taking a while. these pieces are part of a new system I'm building. I haven't bought a second burner yet, but this one doesn't seem to be heating as well for me as I've read about from others, and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

make a heat shield for it. sheet metal, flashing, cement board, whatever you like. something to reflect heat back and block the wind.

I use that same burner and I get 9 gal from about 150 to boiling in about 12-13 min. 60/12=5 degrees/min for 9 gal. give or take.

hope that helps

make a heat shield for it. sheet metal, flashing, cement board, whatever you like. something to reflect heat back and block the wind.

I use that same burner and I get 9 gal from about 150 to boiling in about 12-13 min. 60/12=5 degrees/min for 9 gal. give or take.

hope that helps

Hmm, 9 gallons is an odd number. Do you make 7-7.5 gallon batches, or do you top up after the boil to 10 gallons?

I use a smaller burner than yours, about 35000 BTU's and get 10 gallons to boiling in about 25 minutes. I can reach mash temps (152) fairly quickly but I do start with hot water from the hot water tank as I have an outside line from it. It helps a lot. Mine does have a heat sheild around it and I have switched to an adjustable regulator which helped also. I did learn that pushing TOO much volume thru the regulator just wastes fuel. Have to find a happy medium.

Just a roll of 14 in (I think, didnt measure) flashing, cut to size, and riveted. The kettle fits with about a 1in gap all the way around. It directs a lot of the heat up and onto the sides of the pot, and keeps the heat around the burner low, so I can stand right up next to it when stirring or adding hops and don't have to worry about losing leg hair. It also blocks quite a bit of wind.

IMG_2204[1].JPG

IMG_2205[1].JPG

IMG_2206[1].JPG

Cool, All I'd need to do is cut a channel for my spigot and I'll be set!

Back