Induction for 6.5 gallon pre-boil/5 gallon cast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back in on a cheaper basis - previously ended up with about 12 gallons cast wort on a 20-gallon Spike propane system. I want to go in on the cheaper basis because it's quite possible I'll be expanding later, possibly to a HERMS of one make or another (never done electric before, but seeing a lot of pluses now).

Using a 10-gallon converted Igloo for the MT and an existing 7-gallon stockpot from our former restaurant for sparge. Presuming brewhouse efficiencies as before, I'm estimating around 6.5 gallons pre-boil for a final 5-gallons going into the fermenter. Unlike previously, just an incidental note, I'll be doing a manual WP as opposed to pumps and the two ports and pickups on the Spike system.

Our stove burners won't cut it and we don't have 230V service. Is it possible to get a 110V induction that can handle a good strong boil in a reasonable time for this wort volume?

Does your stove run on 220V? Large burners on most stoves are 3000W-3500W or equivalent on a gas range.

Does your stove run on 220V? Large burners on most stoves are 3000W-3500W or equivalent on a gas range.
No, just a standard gas stove. If it were a higher-end range, I'm surmising we might get away with it because of output approaching the commercial kitchen. But hooked up to standard household feed.

Our stove burners won't cut it
Does this mean that you've tried to boil 6.5 gallons of water in your 7 gallon stock pot on the largest burner on your stove top and it can't do it? Do you have the owner's manual for your range? It should give you the BTU ratings for the burners. Then you would at least know what you need to improve on.

Does this mean that you've tried to boil 6.5 gallons of water in your 7 gallon stock pot on the largest burner on your stove top and it can't do it? Do you have the owner's manual for your range? It should give you the BTU ratings for the burners. Then you would at least know what you need to improve on.
Good call, thanks. I've actually never tried it and the cool thing I just discovered is that it's actually a 10 gallon, triple-clad stock pot, and in addition it's big enough to span two burners so, fingers crossed. Not ideal, but if it can get to the rolling boil and will work, I'll just WP manually then just auto-siphon the wort into the fermenter. Brings back memories of my first forays, kits, early '90's. :bigmug: :D

something like that and not exactly that...
ou think a 110V might have the juice to work?
I think 1800 watts is the most you're going to get in a 120 volt induction burner. You might be able to throw in a heat stick (plugged into a different circuit) to boost it some.

edit - more apropos to "something like that," the highest wattage I've seen on a 120v immersion heater is 1500

Last edited:
I use a 110V induction for my HLT ($50 on Amazon), I don't worry about it coming up to a boil, but to get to Mash Temp (~165F), it's about 1-1 1/2 hours, depending on how cold the H2O and garage are. I use 220V induction for the Boil Kettle and that rips. My kettles are tri-clad bottom and wrapped with insulation.
Brew Day Aug 2021.JPG

I use a 110V induction for my HLT ($50 on Amazon), I don't worry about it coming up to a boil, but to get to Mash Temp (~165F), it's about 1-1 1/2 hours, depending on how cold the H2O and garage are. I use 220V induction for the Boil Kettle and that rips. My kettles are tri-clad bottom and wrapped with insulation.View attachment 835106
Awesome. Thanks.

You might be able to boil that much on an 1800 watt if you insulate and use a steam slayer so it's covered. I knock mine down from 3500 to 2300 watts after it comes to a boil,so I don't think 1800 will work without a cover.

This has me thinking, my stove has a middle long burner for a griddle, I wonder if that is enough juice to get my 7 to 8 gallons of wort boiling? It would probably be a mess in the kitchen, so better use the propane setup out in the garage to keep the wife happy. LOL.

Back