Bohemian Pilsner/Wheat lager Cross

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a nice big starter of WLP830(German Lager) yeast spinning away right now and I am trying to make a nice lager beer that will be crystal clear and ready for summertime.

I will be doing a 15 gallon batch and I am going to use Pilsner malt as the base and German Halertauer hops in the kettle. I know I can make a great beer with only pilsen and Halertauer. I am thinking of maybe adding %10 malted white wheat to the grist. Do you think this would add a nice breadiness and softness to the beer or should I just leave it alone as a bohemian pils?

The pils malt should provide some subtle bready flavors depending on your water and mash procedure. The wheat should improve head retention, but I think at 10% its flavor will be barely noticeable.

FWIW, I made a 70:30 (German Pils:White Wheat) Lager last spring fermented w/ 34/70 and added orange zest at flameout. The wheat flavor was somewhere between subtle and noticeable. It cleared out beautifully after lagering a few months and was delicious. Reminiscent of a Munich Helles w/ a touch of wheat & orange.

new style in germany is webopils. pils and wheat brewed separately, then blended in the cellar at pretty much 50/50 if i recall. was supposed to be popular, never had any when i was there though.

For what it's worth, dredging up old talk, I haven't been able to find a mention on Google search for a "webopils" besides this one.

At that level you'll just get awesome head formation and retention. As you get higher and higher the beer actually becomes super dry in my experience. Not that I mind!

Interestingly, recent genomic studies have proven that WLP800 Pilsner "Lager" yeast is actually Saccharomyces cerevisiae (ale yeast), AND that WLP320 American Hefeweizen yeast is a VERY close relative. So....... I wonder if this "webopils" style could/should be brewed using WLP800 or even WLP320? Fermented at any temperature you like. Seems a logical conclusion if I were brewing it.

Latest posts

Back