"blueberry fruit flavoring" v. real blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
my recipe calls for 2 oz of "blueberry fruit flavoring" added at flameout.

does anyone know what this equates to in terms of real, actual blueberries: that is, how many ounces of real, purreed blueberries would 2 oz of "blueberry fruit flavoring" be?

for some more info, this is the link to the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/367651

thanks everyone

Lots and lots and lots.

For reference, I made a blueberry ale early this summer, and tried to do it with real fruit. Racked the beer, after primary, onto 4.5lbs of blueberries and let that sit for 2 weeks. After that, I racked to a keg. I checked the blueberries, and they tasted like cardboard - the beer had extracted everything from the fruit. But the beer itself only had a faint blueberry aroma and the faintest note of blueberry in the finish. I then wound up adding 1oz of blueberry extract to the beer, and the beer wound up having just about the perfect amount of blueberry character in both aroma and flavor.

Real blueberries are a very subtle fruit, it really takes a LOT of them to come equal what 2oz of extract will do.

Back