Blowing through c02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmiller224

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I just made my first kegerator a couple of weeks ago its all set up with home brew on one side and sierra nevada pale ale on the other. Well it has already blown through 5 lbs of co2 in the 3-4 weeks that we have used it. And my roommates and I use it ocasionally but we have yet to go through a 5 gallon keg. All those connection points are tight. What could be going wrong here? Do i need to keep the Co2 off when it is not in use? Also I connected my spare which had maybe a lb- 1.5 lbs of co2 in it and blew through it in about 1-2 days. Thanks for the help

There is obviously a leak somewhere and it could be tough to identify. You mention that all connections are tight but that may not be the case. Fill a spray bottle with starsan and mist every connection from the regulator to the kegs and look for bubbles. If you find one don't stop there, there may be more. Also mist the lid and posts of the corney. I have built a few kegorators, and every time at start up, no mater how tight I think the system is, there are always a few leaks that show up with a bubble test.

First, how are you and your roommates drinking less then a keg of beer in a 4 week period? Slackers :)

You've got a leak somewhere. A corney keg would explode it had 5lbs of CO2 in it, so if your apartment is still intact, it is leaking somewhere. I think it is easier to "see" the leaks if you mist them with soapy water instead of starsan. It makes more obvious bubbles.

how i helped narrow down my leak was that i turned the pressure off to all the kegs in my keezer then waited a day and tried to draw a beer from each one of them. the keg that didnt have pressure to push the brew out was the culprit. so i drank that keg only til it was gone and replaced the gasket set on it before filling it back up with new brew. i havent had an issue since. i suspect one of your kegs needs new gaskets as this is a new system. "They" say that my kegs had new gaskets on them and were pressure tested, but I tend to not always believe "them" good luck!:mug:

first try starsan, if no luck, soapy water, I am having the same issue, I dont think I'm loosing that much co2, but I don't exactly know how to tell either.

Is it possible to do the starsan/ soapy water test without co2 being pumped through? Because as of right now I'm completely out of co2 and the LHBS is closed till Tuesday.

"Is it possible to do the starsan/ soapy water test without co2 being pumped through? Because as of right now I'm completely out of co2 and the LHBS is closed till Tuesday."

No. The test is to spray liquid on all of the joints and then look to see if there is bubbling/sputtering from a joint or seal. If you don't have it pressurized with CO2, there will be no leak to see.

Your gas lines, what kind of split do you have, or is it a dual body regulator? I was able to narrow down sources on my setup (3 tap) by turning on the gas, pressurizing all 3 kegs that are attached and the lines, closing off the valves in the manifold and shutting off the gas at the tank and removing the gas quick disconnects from my kegs. The next day I looked at the gauge of the regulator. Still spot on, so the problem was not there. Pulled the pressure relief valve on the regulator to clear, opened the valves on the manifold one at a time (mine didnt have a check valve) to see if I could test the pressure in the lines, all hissed. Tried to purge the kegs from their PRV, found a culprit. From there I pressurized that one up and did the starsan spray around all connections to determine where air was escaping.

Narrow it down however you can. Usually it is the keg, especially when using a premade fridge conversion kit. If it is the keg, it can often be fixed by a thoroughly cleaning followed by replacing and lubing the O rings in the keg.

Well from the looks of it, you can pressurize and turn off the valves turn off the tank and then see where the leak is. Sometimes, especially with new regulators stuff(debris) can get stuck in the diaphragm (which causes regulator pressure creep, not your issue here though or you would know) or in the pressure relief valve, and cause a slow leak.

Otherwise it is probably one of your kegs at fault. Pressurize them, do a starsan (or even just water or soapy water though with soap be sure to not let it get in the beer) spray around the lid, and see if you see bubbles. If you find nothing when you check to see if it is the regulator check the individual kegs, one may be empty again. I have found, one of my corneys needs its lid played with (rotated sideways back and forth) in order to get it to seal. And Keg Lube is a wonderful help as well.

So I found the leak.. it wasn't on the home brew set up it was on the Sierra Nevada Sanke set up. So I put teflon tape around the screw in point and used a couple of wrenchs to screw it on tight. Checked it again and no bubbles!
Checked all the other connection points and lids on the home brew and couldnt find any other leaks/bubbles coming up. Guess I learned a expensive lesson here.. Thanks for everyones help!

Consider it growing pains and you are fine. We all find at least one leak somewhere along the line. Rite of passage and all that. Welcome to the wonderful world of kegging.

Back