Blowing off - Primary Lid Won't Fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made an IBA with some new supplies. The plastic primary they gave me doesn't seem to "lock" or "screw on" like I am used to. I got a little worried that it wasn't a sufficient seal so I used my secondary to ferment.

I woke up this morning, bubbling like crazy -- good thing. As the day passed, some beer was pulling into the airlock. So looking online I saw a blow-off valve would be the solution but avast my plastic tubing is too think and cleaning beer off my ceiling is less than ideal.

So I moved it back to my primary, still unsure of the seal, put an airlock on it as well as the 2ndary to "hold down" the lid. Is this enough? I'm not seeing bubbling anymore and I'm curious if I just murdered my beer by transferring it back to the primary.

Usually these plastic buckets lock right into place! I don't understand why this one doesn't (from a reputable online HBS). Is it the wrong lid or am I just too stupid to get it to fit uniformly??

Thanks for the help

You can't murder your beer. The airlock isn't bubbling because with all the messing with it and moving it there's no excess co2 for their to be a need for it to bubble. The airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it's really just a vent or a pressure release. It bubbles or not for all matter of reasons including atmospheric. Don't go by what it does or doesn't do to as a sign that something is wrong or not.

Did you try bending the bucket to try to fit the lid on? I usually sanitize my lid by sticking it down into the bucket where the sanitizer is which of course distorts the bucket, so when I got to snap it on I have to bend the bucket to accommodate it.

Transferred with an autosiphon. Would splashing be bad at that stage for the yeast? Will it aerate the wort more?

Thanks I was a little worried but you're right the actual headspace ail need to be expelled. It just doesn't feel like lid locks or fits well at all. Id hate to introduce all this air into it because the lid wqsnt sealed.

Ah well I used some weight and kept pushing until my fingers hurt. "SNAP"

With much excitement, I kept going symmetrically around it hoping not to release it. Long story short, I got it secured in the primary and the airlocks chugging away like normal.

Lesson learned the hard way (although there IS room in the secondary, lots of build up will occur and it will occur quickly). My only worries is I hope I didn't oxidize the beer.

We'll see, guess it means I gotta make a batch next Saturday to compensate.

:) Thanks for all your help guys.

Would splashing be bad at that stage for the yeast? Will it aerate the wort more?

and to answer these, yes splashing is bad once fermentation has begun. generally speaking, you need to do all your aerating before pitching the yeast.
introducing oxygen later in/post fermentation leads to oxidation (aka wet cardboard beer)

I put my plastic bucket on the floor, put my knee on the lid, and press down with my weight while snapping the lid on. It makes things much easier.

I was thinking of getting a rubber mallet to tap the lid on the BB ale pale into place. Tight little bugger! Then get that lid prying tool at homer cheapo or bloew's. Kinda nice having my fermenter/storage stand next to my computer hutch. I get to listen to the blow off...

Back