All Rounder Lid Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Title says it all - I don’t use the All Rounder very often (this is my 2nd time in 2 years) but I realized it was leaking air after fermentation kicked off on a beer I brewed this weekend. I use fermentation CO2 to purge my serving keg, and there are no bubbles showing up in the airlock connected to the keg’s gas post like there should be. I tested all the lines and connections to make sure they were not the culprit and ran gas in through the All Rounder’s floating dip tube, which did generate bubbles in the airlock so airflow is clearly not obstructed. I’ve applied keg lube to the o ring and quadrupled checked the lid tightness. Still no luck.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 9FB2E667-A156-4983-9EBD-A13F170DF50E.jpeg
    9FB2E667-A156-4983-9EBD-A13F170DF50E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Leaks are likely due to missing or damaged o-rings. I would check to the ball lock adapters to make sure they didn't fall out while you were prepping and sanitizing your gear. Next spot would be the o-ring in the lid. If all looks good, check the lid for any hairline cracks. I've cracked a modified Fermonster lid before without realizing it.

Leaks are likely due to missing or damaged o-rings. I would check to the ball lock adapters to make sure they didn't fall out while you were prepping and sanitizing your gear. Next spot would be the o-ring in the lid. If all looks good, check the lid for any hairline cracks. I've cracked a modified Fermonster lid before without realizing it.
Hmmmm, I just pulled the ball lock adapters off the lid, and didn’t see an o ring or washer on the underside, where they screw down onto the lid. I added a rubber washer on each side and screwed them back down. Maybe that will do the trick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Hmmmm, I just pulled the ball lock adapters off the lid, and didn’t see an o ring or washer on the underside, where they screw down onto the lid. I added a rubber washer on each side and screwed them back down. Maybe that will do the trick.
Decided the washer was too thick, wouldn’t fit in the groove on the lid, so I used a rubber o ring instead. No bubbles after a few minutes, will check in an hour.

My adapters came with the washers installed and also came with extras for the both the post and screw connections. Did you purchase these yourself or did they come with the All Rounder? Maybe they forgot to package them.

IMG20230329110539.jpg

My adapters came with the washers installed and also came with extras for the both the post and screw connections. Did you purchase these yourself or did they come with the All Rounder? Maybe they forgot to package them.

View attachment 816359
This is super helpful, thanks! I purchased from an online retailer but def never saw these in the package. Those dirty dogs.

So adding proper fitting washers to the ball lock adapters worked (making sure they fit the groove on the lid)…as did fixing a cross threaded connection on the jumper cable to the keg…as did fixing a badly sealed keg lid. And the beer is now down from 1.070 to 1.020, so I gotta find a backup plan for purging the serving keg.

Other than that, is great success! Thanks for the help, @wsmith1625!

Back