Blood red beet IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanM47

Reaction score
True blood Amber IPA recipe

3 Gallon Batch

1lbs American 2-row
1.5lbs German Vienna
.5lbs Caramel 40L
.5lbs Honey Malt
3lbs Amber LME
.5lbs flakes oats

1cup Brown sugar before boil
.25 Beet at boil

1oz Columbus at boil
1oz Citra at 30mins
1oz Simcoe at 40 mins
1oz Citra 5min before flame out

1oz Centennial dry hops

1 Whirlfloc Tablet 5 min before flame out

2 Wyeast Packets American ale II

1tbsp Vanilla extract into secondary
2oz Lactose into secondary

I'm trying to come up with a cool Halloween themed beer. I would love any input y'all have for me.

Are you just looking for color?

If so, use beet juice. No benefit to boiling, really. Maybe at flameout?

Just wanted to use beet so I could say that I did. Haha
I figured I should put the beet in at the beginning of the boil so I don't get any flavor and just the color. Am I thinking correctly?

I have no idea.

I think using beets would be somewhat similar to using pumpkins in a pumpkin ale. You typically don't boil the pumpkins you mash with them

i know you said you were just going for color, but just thinking about beets, they develop such a nice flavor slowly roasted (actually baked rather than roasted) in the oven. roast in foil, save the juice, peel, mash, add at flameout?? deep rich purple. just a thought.

I'm looking for some small vanilla notes and I want a small complentary sweet taste. Do you have a better suggestion?

I'm looking for some small vanilla notes and I want a small complentary sweet taste. Do you have a better suggestion?

"Sweet" and "hoppy" don't go together very well, at least in my opinion. I'd either go with a sweet amber ale or something, or with a traditional IPA without brown sugar and lactose. To be honest, an IPA with lactose and brown sugar, way too much crystal malt, flaked oats, and some honey malt sounds terrible to me.

I had the beer you're trying to make last weekend at Wicked Weed brewery in Asheville NC. It was called "the Beets Within IPA." It was a shockingly red and clear beer. It tasted like a good ipa with a subtle beet flavor. Great, creative brewing.

image-1920249992.jpg

I've edited the recipe and decided to try and make a sweet amber beer. Hope this looks better. Any suggestions/critiques?

True blood Amber recipe

3 Gallon Batch

2lbs American 2-row
1.5lbs German Vienna
.5lbs Caramel 40L
.5lbs Honey Malt
3lbs Amber LME
.5lbs flaked oats

.25 Beet at boil

1oz Columbus at boil
.5oz Citra at 30mins
.5oz Simcoe at 40 mins

1 Whirlfloc Tablet 5 min before flame out

2 Wyeast Packets American ale 11

1tbsp Vanilla extract into secondary
2oz Lactose into secondary

Still haven't done it. I'll probably brew this within the next few weeks. I'll keep y'all updated.

OK so I just made this a few days ago. Gonna be racking it into the secondary tomorrow. I changed the recipe a bit and learned a bit on the fly.
Learned that putting beet in the boil will not give you ANY color at all! hahaha We threw in 10 fluid oz of beet juice at the beginning of the boil and by 30 minutes of boiling, the redness was gone.
So we threw an extra 5 fluid oz of juice right into the carboy after pitching the yeast.
It's fermented incredibly well so far and has a beautiful color.

So for anyone who is wanting to make a red beer, put the beets in the carboy or in secondary depending on how much beet flavor you want.

Hope this all helps!!!

Not sure who's still following this, but 3 weeks ago I brewed up a Beet Saison. I did 1lb of beets and juice in the mash, which tasted and looked fantastic, until the boil. After an hour the color and flavor was gone. So I threw it in the fermenter with 2 packets of Lallamond Saison yeast and let it go. 2hrs later it was bubbling away. I left it for 3 weeks. Yesterday I transferred it to the secondary and it had a nice rose' color and the taste of a Belgian Ale. I racked it over another lb of beets and juice. Going to let it ride another 3 weeks.

Attachments

• 20200926_084134.jpg
    20200926_084134.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200926_100146.jpg
    20200926_100146.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200926_082119.jpg
    20200926_082119.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201015_190324.jpg
    20201015_190324.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201015_193203.jpg
    20201015_193203.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 21
for good a red beer usual recommendation is a very small amount of black malt. Like an ounce or two. And I think C80 for your caramel malt. If you target red for the beer the beets wont be competing color wise so much. If you make a yellow beer the beer will be pulling the final color towards orange.

Back