Blending Brew in 2 Carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny5

Reaction score
Howdy,

So, what's everyone's take on blending brews together after secondary fermentation? I brewed a 10-gallon, all-grain hopfen weizen clone, racked into two-6 gallon carboys, and when I racked it into secondary, the samples tasted different. Both tasted good, but one was a bit stronger and less hoppy than the other. Seems to me blending the two together would be the best route to getting consistent final flavor in the end, but I've never done that before. Assuming no apparent infection issues, is that OK?

Any ideas about why they tasted different? I used the same yeast for each one, but I suppose there can be some slight differences in yeast packet

Also, I'm wondering if there are flavor differences when you transfer the wort to carboys after cool down. Is the last 5 gallons you transfer any different (possibly stronger?) because it contains more of the sediment that settled in the wort? Just curious...

Thanks!

Im pretty sure this is how all the big time commercial brewers get that consistent taste. So I dont think it would a problem.

Definitely blend em. The hop flavor could be due to more hop/trub in that particular carboy. Yeast pack can differ, as well as temps, airation one sitting closer to the window etc.... Breweries often blend batches after fermentation, and a common practice is to brew consecutive batches (3 or 4 in a row) in to one fermenter to gain consistancy.

Back