Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyportagee

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't brewed In a few years so I'm wanting to try this recipe I came up with for a Black IPA. Any comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Ingredients
10.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (30 min ) 2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min)
Dry hop in secondary for 5 days with 2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%]
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

I plan on doing a PM with the specialty grains at 155*F for 30 min before my boil. So how does this sound as far as grain bill and hop schedule for a nice Black IPA? Beersmith puts this at 7.4% ABV I'm considering maybe 12lbs of malt extract to take it up another 1%?

Hey everyone, I haven't brewed In a few years so I'm wanting to try this recipe I came up with for a Black IPA. Any comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Ingredients
10.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120 SRM)
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (30 min ) 2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min)
Dry hop in secondary for 5 days with 2.00 oz Cascade [5.50%]
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

I plan on doing a PM with the specialty grains at 155*F for 30 min before my boil. So how does this sound as far as grain bill and hop schedule for a nice Black IPA? Beersmith puts this at 7.4% ABV I'm considering maybe 12lbs of malt extract to take it up another 1%?

Before I make any suggestions, I should say that I'm not a huge fan of this style at all. In my opinion, there are only a few examples I've tasted that were actually enjoyable. Here are some changes I'd make to your recipe:

- That's a lot of Crystal malt and you really don't need the 3 different types. I'd use a max of 12 oz, especially since the extract tends to leave behind the impression of sweetness. Also, ditch the C120, you can get your color from the roasted malts. If it were me, I'd go with 8-12 oz C60 and that's it.

- One of the biggest problems with some of the homebrewed examples of this style I've tried is the mix of roasty character with the US hops. I would very highly suggest replacing the roasted barley with Carafa Special II, which I believe is more "to style" anyway. It's a dehusked roasted grain that won't impart that coffee, burnt character that clashes with the hops.

- 2 oz of Warrior at 60?!?! Here's the hop schedule I'll suggest:

Warrior @ 60 min to 20-25 IBU (probably .75 oz or so, use a calc)
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5
1 oz Amarillo @ flameout (let sit 10-15 mins before chilling)
1-2 oz Amarillo @ dry hop (4-5 days into fermentation) for 3-5 days only

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Looks like an interesting recipe - let us know how it turns out! I moved this thread from the recipe database, which is for tried-and-true recipes, to the Ingredients and Recipes forum, which is for discussion of recipe formulation. Hopefully, more people will see it here and give you feedback!

have to agree with everything Brulosopher said; good call with the dehusked carafa, otherwise you're brewing a hoppy stout.

brew it, good luck with it, please report back with the results, I'm stealing the recipe, thank you!

Brulosopher said:
Before I make any suggestions, I should say that I'm not a huge fan of this style at all. In my opinion, there are only a few examples I've tasted that were actually enjoyable. Here are some changes I'd make to your recipe:

- That's a lot of Crystal malt and you really don't need the 3 different types. I'd use a max of 12 oz, especially since the extract tends to leave behind the impression of sweetness. Also, ditch the C120, you can get your color from the roasted malts. If it were me, I'd go with 8-12 oz C60 and that's it.

- One of the biggest problems with some of the homebrewed examples of this style I've tried is the mix of roasty character with the US hops. I would very highly suggest replacing the roasted barley with Carafa Special II, which I believe is more "to style" anyway. It's a dehusked roasted grain that won't impart that coffee, burnt character that clashes with the hops.

- 2 oz of Warrior at 60?!?! Here's the hop schedule I'll suggest:

Warrior @ 60 min to 20-25 IBU (probably .75 oz or so, use a calc)
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5
1 oz Amarillo @ flameout (let sit 10-15 mins before chilling)
1-2 oz Amarillo @ dry hop (4-5 days into fermentation) for 3-5 days only

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Thanks for the input! I think I will have to rearrange my grain bill a little bit!

GrogNerd said:
have to agree with everything Brulosopher said; good call with the dehusked carafa, otherwise you're brewing a hoppy stout.

brew it, good luck with it, please report back with the results, I'm stealing the recipe, thank you!

I will definitely report back!! I'm brewing this on Sunday and I can't wait!!!! If you do use this recipe please let me know how it turns out and what if anything you changed.

It's all beer, but to be more clear, this is not a Partial Mash recipe. It's Extract with Steeped Grains. To even be a partial mash you still need some conversion. Good luck!

Ok so I got to my LHBS and changed up my recipe. Here she is ready for a Sunday brew day!
10 lbs pale malt extract
1 lb 2 row
1 lb Carafa III
.5 lb crystal 15L
.5 lb crystal 60L
.5 lb crystal 120L
1 lb corn sugar
2 oz Warrior hops 60 min
1 oz Amarillo hops 30 min
1 oz Cascade hops 15 min
1 oz each Amarillo and Cacade at flame out
So how does this sound?

JustLooking said:
It's all beer, but to be more clear, this is not a Partial Mash recipe. It's Extract with Steeped Grains. To even be a partial mash you still need some conversion. Good luck!

Wouldn't you get conversion steeping grains at 155*F for 30-45 minutes?

crazyportagee said:
Ok so I got to my LHBS and changed up my recipe. Here she is ready for a Sunday brew day!
10 lbs pale malt extract
1 lb 2 row
1 lb Carafa III
.5 lb crystal 15L
.5 lb crystal 60L
.5 lb crystal 120L
1 lb corn sugar
2 oz Warrior hops 60 min
1 oz Cascade hops 15 min
So how does this sound?

Carafa III "special"/ dehusked right? There is a difference between the non-dehusked variety.

10 lbs pale malt extract
1 lb 2 row
1 lb Carafa III
.5 lb crystal 15L
.5 lb crystal 60L
.5 lb crystal 120L
1 lb corn sugar
2 oz Warrior hops 60 min
1 oz Cascade hops 15 min
So how does this sound?

Seriously, that is way too much Warrior at 60. I'd use .5-.75 oz.

Ok, so after another sleepless night with brewing on my brain I now know how I'm gonna deal with my specialty grains.......BIAB! I will be mashing the American 2 Row along with the specialty grains. I'm gonna take a pre-boil gravity reading to see how much sugar I convert and I will post the results.

crazyportagee,
I've made several Black IPA's and I'm with Brulosopher on the debittered black malt. I've used Briess Blackprinz Malt, but the Carafa III should be great too. Looks great to me.

Let us know the results.
Cheers!
djturner

Started my dough in about 5 minutes ago! Mash temp is at about 154*F. After 60 minutes I will Tea Bag the grains in water at 170*F.

image-294106357.jpg

djturner said:
crazyportagee,
I've made several Black IPA's and I'm with Brulosopher on the debittered black malt. I've used Briess Blackprinz Malt, but the Carafa III should be great too. Looks great to me.

Let us know the results.
Cheers!
djturner

I believe the Carafa III is debittered we substituted it for the roasted barley at the LHBS to minimize the astringency. What about the 2oz of Warrior for bittering hops? Do you think it will be to much of a hop bomb? It's within style for IBUs as an imperial IPA at 104 IBUs.

I believe the Carafa III is debittered we substituted it for the roasted barley at the LHBS to minimize the astringency. What about the 2oz of Warrior for bittering hops? Do you think it will be to much of a hop bomb? It's within style for IBUs as an imperial IPA at 104 IBUs.

It won't be a pleasant bitterness, in my opinion. For everything from APA to IIPA, I shoot for 15-30 IBU from that first addition and rely on all late hop additions (15-flameout) for everything else. Flavor, aroma, flavor, aroma!!!

Took a sample of my PM. Color is pitch black with a little roastiness to it and not too sweet. I'm curious to how much sugars I actually extracted from the specialty grains. The wort is on to boil and I still need to add the 10 lbs pale malt extract and 1 lb of corn sugar which should sweeten it up considerably.

image-515209328.jpg

Brulosopher said:
It won't be a pleasant bitterness, in my opinion. For everything from APA to IIPA, I shoot for 15-30 IBU from that first addition and rely on all late hop additions (15-flameout) for everything else. Flavor, aroma, flavor, aroma!!!

You really have me concerned now. I was going for a hop bomb but I want it to be pleasant and drinkable!

Wow!!! Those Warriors really bittered up the wort, I'm glad I dropped them down a little! Thanks for the advise brulosopher!!!! I just added the 1oz of Amarillos for a 30 min boil. Next will be the 1oz Cascade for 15 min, and then 1oz each of Amarillo and Cascade at flame out.

crazyportagee said:
Wow!!! Those Warriors really bittered up the wort, I'm glad I dropped them down a little! Thanks for the advise brulosopher!!!! I just added the 1oz of Amarillos for a 30 min boil. Next will be the 1oz Cascade for 15 min, and then 1oz each of Amarillo and Cascade at flame out.

I wouldn't have used more than .75 oz...

Took a sample gravity reading and the OG is 1.088 which should give me about 9.4% ABV. Drank some of the sample and it was pretty good! Some malty sweetness with some good hoppines!!! Should turn out to be a very nice brew!

crazyportagee said:
The brew is bubbling away nicely! I have a really good fermentation going on!!!

Good deal.

How are your temps? I'm up in north east and got lucky leaving it in the garage. Ambient stayed 56-62 pretty much the whole time.

Also, did you end up using "de-husked" or "special" Carafa III? Or just regular?

Just kegged today! Sample wasn't as bitter as I thought it would be. I dry hopped 2oz of Amarillo hops in the keg. It has a hint of roastiness with some alcohol warming on the backside. She's almost pitch black!

image-3041938525.jpg

image-41824366.jpg

OG 1.088 with a FG of 1.020 for an ABV of 8.9%

Oh yeah, I dumped the yeast cake on top of some apple cider and cranberry juice to make some hard cider....should be tasty! I've done this several times before and it's always been a crowd pleaser especially with wifey!!!

RedOktoberfest said:
Good deal.

How are your temps? I'm up in north east and got lucky leaving it in the garage. Ambient stayed 56-62 pretty much the whole time.

Also, did you end up using "de-husked" or "special" Carafa III? Or just regular?

My temps stayed in the low 70's in my closet which is kind of on the high side but my brews always seem to come out fine using WYeast 1056. I used the Carafa III Dehusked.

Latest posts

Back