Black floaties in keg beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robeer

Reaction score
I bought a kegerator from a buddy of mine almost a year ago. With every batch I have had since then (probably 6 total) I have noticed little black floaties that show up in the beer. I have clean and sanitized the hell out of the keg and have no idea where these could be coming from. There are usually 2-3 per glass of beer poured (some really small and some about the size of an aunt). I have read that since I have a converted soda keg they could be left over pieces of cola but I don't think there could still be any left after six batches. Any ideas on what to do? I just kegged a summer ale so the floaties are very noticeable since the beer is so light. There is some stuff in the lines of the CO2 tank to the keg but he said I didn't need to worry about those since they would never affect the beer.

Brass fittings in contact with the beer can cause this. I had the same issue due to brass tail pieces. I swapped it out with stainless and the problem is gone.

I'm going to assume what's in the gas lines isn't black....

But there really shouldn't be anything in gas lines except for gas, and if there's anything in them it's probably old beer backed up from an overfilled keg. Not a good thing in any case, I'd replace the gas lines forthwith.

And in light of the apparently lack of care regarding sanitation by the previous owner, if you haven't already replaced the beer lines, I'd do that, too.

Otherwise, did anyone ever clean the keg dip tubes? Clean the disconnects? Clean the faucets and shanks? When chasing contamination you pretty much have to chase the whole system from keg through spout...

Cheers!

Thanks guys. I will head to the LHBS and work on cleaning the whole keg hopefully this weekend. Is it fine just to disconnect the keg while I do all of this as far as cleaning/replacing the entire keg?

Oh, and it at least has not been contributing to an off flavors, it just LOOKS bad, haha. I certainly don't want to be drinking something I don't want in there tho.

Have you fully disassembled the kegs? Removed the posts and cleaned out the poppits? Pulled the dip tubes and cleaned them? Scrubbed the inside of the kegs with a scrubby pad (especially around where the dip tubes go in)? Looked inside the dip tubes and cleaned them out? I would be wary of any kinds of schmutz (a highly technical term now isnt it?) in the gas lines. It may not be a bad idea to replace the lines anyway. Also, have you disassembled and cleaned the quick disconnects? When you disassemble the keg get a flashlight and maybe a hand mirror and inspect the insides of the keg thoroughly. You want everything to be shiny.

Thanks guys. I will head to the LHBS and work on cleaning the whole keg hopefully this weekend. Is it fine just to disconnect the keg while I do all of this as far as cleaning/replacing the entire keg?

Is there still beer in the keg? Regardless you can always unhook the quick disconnects. The keg(s) should hold pressure.

It may not be a bad idea to fill the keg with water and try dispensing after a thorough cleaning to see if you still get the chunks of evil coming out.

Back