BJ's Jeremiah Red Clone AG recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merculite

Reaction score
I've made a couple of attempt at this and haven't quite got it right. This is what I know about it:

7.3%ABV, OG 1.070, IBU 25, Malts: 2-row Pale, Munich, Belgian Crystal Malts, Chocolate, Hops: Northern Brewer

5 gallon batch recipes

The first time I tried:
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Pearle [6.30 %] (60 min)
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

Most recently I tried:
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Pearle [6.30 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Northdown [8.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)

Has anyone attempted to clone this beer before? Any suggestions?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I think I'm going to give this one a try so I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts.

I haven't cloned this one myself yet, but I love the beer and I'm going to try it in a few weeks. Since the Jeremiah Red isn't a typical Irish Red (closer to an Imperial Irish Red based on ABV), it's a little hard to get the recipe down exactly. I tweaked your second recipe in Beer Smith a little, and this is what I came up with:

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.5 lb Munich Malt
5 oz (0.3125 lb) Crystal 120L
5 oz (0.3125 lb) Crystal 40L
2 oz (0.125 lb) Chocolate Malt
1 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose)

Hops: Northern Brewer - 1 oz @ 60 mins, 0.5 oz @ 15 mins, 0.5 oz @ 5 mins
Yeast: Irish Ale (Wyeast #1084)

I think you were headed in the right direction, just needed to switch the sucrose for dextrose, get rid of the Caramunich (BJ's doesn't use it), and adjust the chocolate and crystal malts a bit. I used 120L and 40L because those are more typical of an Irish Red, and with the 2 oz of Chocolate, you get pretty close to the red color you want.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this recipe? I think ideally roasted barley would be a better choice for color, rather than the chocolate, but that's what BJ's used so I went with it.

That actually looks pretty good to me! Although curious about the Scottish yeast, haven't used that and not sure if what its characteristics are.

Post results! I could be very interested if comes even mostly close.

Thanks for the reply electric and thanks for pointing out the yeast. I meant to post that change as well. I switched the Scottish Ale yeast for the Wyeast Irish Ale #1084. It's definitely a better fit for this profile.

I'll brew this one in 2 weeks or so, then I'll post the results. I haven't been to BJ's in over a year, so I'd be going mostly off of memory for comparison. Maybe after it's ready I'll head there to try a pint and compare theirs against the clone.

Its a truly delicious beer. I used to buy pony kegs of that when I lived closer to Newport Beach! If it turns out, I might put this closer in the pipeline.:mug:

Any results on this? Old thread, but I am looking for a second AG and I love irish reds. Also, at what point is the dextrose added in this recipe? I have not encountered dextrose being used except for carbing.

i just bought ingredients for a jeremiah clone today

12 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. german light munich 7L
1 lb. belgian cara-munich 50L
1/4 lb. british chocolate 350L

1.00 northern brewer 60 min
.25 northern brewer 5 min.
WLP001 cal. ale.

this yields 1.078, 26 IBU, 17.4 SRM
est. FG 1.020 for 7.6% abv, which is close to the website's 7.3%.

this yeast is correct. our local brewery, saint arnolds, brews all bj's beers in texas due to crappy laws, the owner of my LHBS knows some people over there and said it was WLP001. I noticed everyone is going for the irish ale, perhaps that's why the flavor is off.
of course, all bj's elsewhere have their own brewers, they may use a different yeast.

to above, the dextrose just needs to be sanitized, so you can add it the last 5-10 min of boil. all it does is add fermentable sugars (w/o any taste), which, in turn, raises your ABV.

my recipe is pretty tasty.. and pretty close to BJs. It def. mellowed out a lot after about a month after kegging. I brewed on 12/5, kegged on 12/18.. For most of january it was what I drank. It's about gone now. clocked in about 7.1%

I had some last night at Bjs for dinner. I really like this beer but it is a smidgen too sweet. I think I may try your recipe and hop it up just a bit more, not much though.

I know this thread may be old, but for those looking for the recipe, I think I found it. Jeremiah Red is one of my all time favorite brews, so I have been trying all year to replicate it. A couple of months ago I found a BSM file posted on the internet that supposedly came from a former brew master from BJ's. I brewed this up a couple months ago and I think this is the real deal. I didn't quite hit my efficiency numbers, so my batch isn't quite there, but this was certainly the closest I've gotten from all of the recipes I've tried. I think if I adjust a bit here and there I'll hit the nail on the head. I just bought a grain mill and swapped out my CPVC manifold for a false bottom. I hope this will do the trick in getting my efficiency up from 65%.

Here's the recipe. It's based on 82% efficiency with a stepped mash;

10.29 lbs Pale 2-Row (1.8 SRM)
0.95 lbs Munich 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.38 lbs Caramunich (56.0 SRM)
0.38 lbs Special B (180.0 SRM)
0.02 lbs Chocolate (450.0 SRM)

0.44 oz. Northern brewer (6.5%) - 60 min boil
0.28 oz. Northern Brewer (6.5%) - 20 min boil

White Labs WLP001 w/starter

1.071 SG
12.2 IBU

Saccrification: 11.06 qt of water at 170.2 F, hold mash at 154.0 F for 30 minutes
Saccrification: 9.62 qt of water at 163.5 F, hold mash at 158.0 F for 20 minutes
Mash Out: 7.21 qt of water at 199.7 F, hold mash at 168 for 10 minutes
Sparge: 2.52 gallons of water at 168.00

I know this thread may be old, but for those looking for the recipe, I think I found it. Jeremiah Red is one of my all time favorite brews, so I have been trying all year to replicate it. A couple of months ago I found a BSM file posted on the internet that supposedly came from a former brew master from BJ's. I brewed this up a couple months ago and I think this is the real deal. I didn't quite hit my efficiency numbers, so my batch isn't quite there, but this was certainly the closest I've gotten from all of the recipes I've tried. I think if I adjust a bit here and there I'll hit the nail on the head. I just bought a grain mill and swapped out my CPVC manifold for a false bottom. I hope this will do the trick in getting my efficiency up from 65%.

Here's the recipe. It's based on 82% efficiency with a stepped mash;

10.29 lbs Pale 2-Row (1.8 SRM)
0.95 lbs Munich 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.38 lbs Caramunich (56.0 SRM)
0.38 lbs Special B (180.0 SRM)
0.02 lbs Chocolate (450.0 SRM)

0.44 oz. Northern brewer (6.5%) - 60 min boil
0.28 oz. Northern Brewer (6.5%) - 20 min boil

White Labs WLP001 w/starter

1.071 SG
12.2 IBU

Saccrification: 11.06 qt of water at 170.2 F, hold mash at 154.0 F for 30 minutes
Saccrification: 9.62 qt of water at 163.5 F, hold mash at 158.0 F for 20 minutes
Mash Out: 7.21 qt of water at 199.7 F, hold mash at 168 for 10 minutes
Sparge: 2.52 gallons of water at 168.00

FYI: I'm new to all-grain. This is a huge help since I LOVE BJ's Red. Thanks for posting!

Question: I have no way of doing a mash-out, since I have only one cylinder 10-gallon MLT. How do you suggest I mash & sparge this recipe?

Again, thanks a TON for sharing this recipe! :mug:

I brewed this over a week ago. I noticed the chocolate malt was only .02 lbs, and I had a hard time believing it was enough chocolate. So, I made it .2 lbs. I'm not sure if the original post was correct with .02. Anyway, I racked it today to a second fermenter. MAN, it tastes great! It's a little darker than I would have liked. Not quite brown, but dark enough red that if it were any darker, it would be a brown. I'm still not sure if just .02 lbs would be enough chocolate to make it a red. I'm thinking that it will come out more red after it clarifies and I bottle it for carbonation.

I also used S-04 dry yeast in place of WLP001. This tasted so good I drank a whole glass while racking.

I'd like to see other people's thoughts on this. What about the super low amount of chocolate? How did yours come out tasting?

I brewed this over a week ago. I noticed the chocolate malt was only .02 lbs, and I had a hard time believing it was enough chocolate. So, I made it .2 lbs. I'm not sure if the original post was correct with .02. Anyway, I racked it today to a second fermenter. MAN, it tastes great! It's a little darker than I would have liked. Not quite brown, but dark enough red that if it were any darker, it would be a brown. I'm still not sure if just .02 lbs would be enough chocolate to make it a red. I'm thinking that it will come out more red after it clarifies and I bottle it for carbonation.

I also used S-04 dry yeast in place of WLP001. This tasted so good I drank a whole glass while racking.

I'd like to see other people's thoughts on this. What about the super low amount of chocolate? How did yours come out tasting?

Going to brew this tomorrow for my first all grain. My recipe has .13 chocolate in it so .2 was probably a good catch!

My wife and I eat at BJ's quite a bit and Jeremiah Red has been one of our favorites, so when I found the recipe online I was pretty stoked to make it. However, after several tries it just never tasted quite like it does at BJ's and now I think I know why.....

Over the last few months JR at BJ's has not been as full bodied and malty as it had in the past. Instead, it's been a bit hoppier and medium body..... it tastes A LOT like the homebrew batches I've made using the recipe above.

So... I've come to the conclusion that in the past the BJ's in my area (Dallas, TX) have been getting kegs that weren't quite up to the recipe standards; the beer was sweeter, maltier, and fuller in body than what the recipe calls for. It is this sweeter version that I've come to love. I know that in Texas BJ's contracts the brewing out to a 3rd party brewer (St. Arnolds out of Houston), so perhaps they have been a little off the mark as far as consistency from batch to batch?

With this in mind, I think I'm going to give this recipe another shot, but perhaps reduce the IBU's, add a pound or two more of base malt, and add some malto-dexterin to fill out the body. Maybe then I can make the version of JR that I love?

27_laughing.gif

Back