BJCP categorization for a Julebryg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kestrelbrewing

Reaction score
Every year I brew a batch of beer to be given out as Christmas gifts to family and friends. I am brewing a Julebryg this year based on a recipe from The Bruery and had a taste when I transferred from primary to secondary. It was quite tasty so I'm thinking I may enter it into some beer competitions but I have no idea what category it fits in. It started at 1.080 and is fermented with WLP530, so it could hypothetically be a Belgian Dark Strong (26D). But given that it's based on a traditional Scandinavian Christmas beer, I was thinking Winter Specialty Beer (30C) but then it's not spiced or adjuncted in any way.

Constructive thoughts?

Every year I brew a batch of beer to be given out as Christmas gifts to family and friends. I am brewing a Julebryg this year based on a recipe from The Bruery and had a taste when I transferred from primary to secondary. It was quite tasty so I'm thinking I may enter it into some beer competitions but I have no idea what category it fits in. It started at 1.080 and is fermented with WLP530, so it could hypothetically be a Belgian Dark Strong (26D). But given that it's based on a traditional Scandinavian Christmas beer, I was thinking Winter Specialty Beer (30C) but then it's not spiced or adjuncted in any way.

Constructive thoughts?

34C Experimental ?

34C Experimental ?

I thought about that, but it's not really experimental since it's a traditional Scandinavian thing … it's just not in the style guide. And if you got a stickler judge who decided that it could go in any other category, they could bounce it …

Latest posts

Back