Big bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericinthewoods

Reaction score
My beers have good head and head retention, but they are really large "homebrewing" bubbles.

How do we get the really pretty lacing and tiny bubbles?

What did you use to sanitize your bottles? Too much Star San can cause larger bubbles to form when pouring.

Well. I use star San and I generally over pour it. That may be the issue.

What sanitizer won't do this? should I rinse after sanitization? Are there other things I should be aware of if less star San doesn't fix my problem?

I've seen large bubbles in some of my beers too. I use onestep.

Seems to me the composition of the wort is important, I know duh right? But what if its something like to much protein or something to do with the surface tension of the final beer... idk.

I use Star San also with minimal problems. I have had this happen in the past as well, and have become very precise with the amount of sanitizer used. If you measure and use the correct amount you will get the lacing and tiny bubbles you are after. It is also beneficial to let the bottles drain well in the dishwasher or on a bottle tree. Cheers!

I've seen large bubbles in some of my beers too. I use onestep.

Seems to me the composition of the wort is important, I know duh right? But what if its something like to much protein or something to do with the surface tension of the final beer... idk.

fyi, ox... onestep is not a sanitizer. it's a cleanser. it's made to clean, not sanitize / kill germs.

OP: the way to get good tiny bubbles and lacing is to have good carb volumes and temps for a few days

Odd thing, when I saw this thread as I have been nailed in competitions for too small of bubbles!

Comment was "too small of CO2 bubbles... improper carbonation"

fyi, ox... onestep is not a sanitizer. it's a cleanser. it's made to clean, not sanitize / kill germs.

OP: the way to get good tiny bubbles and lacing is to have good carb volumes and temps for a few days

Been using onestep for three years, it works great as a sanitizer for everything. :mug:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will implement all of these.

If any of y'all have any information on the specifics of how changing the variables of cooler ferment temp, longer ferment times, less sanitizer affect bubble size, I'd like to hear it.

r2eng said:
Odd thing, when I saw this thread as I have been nailed in competitions for too small of bubbles!

Comment was "too small of CO2 bubbles... improper carbonation"

I guess different judges see things differently. I suppose it depends in the style too. The Abt 12 has tiny tiny bubbles, and really fine lacing, and I want them too. Mine look like small marbles and leaves chunky uneven lacing.

Back