Big beer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryH

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im planning to brew my first big beer, an Imperial Porter with some vanilla, coconut, oak and bourbon. My plan is to brew a normal robust porter and on the day I keg it to brew the Imperial and put it right onto the yeast cake. My question is ingredient conversion with the adjuncts.
The Porter is:
12lbs Marris otter
1lb munich
1lb 40L
8oz chocolate malt
8oz black patent
1 oz Columbus at 60
2 oz Cascade at 10
for about 6.4%ABV. 38 IBU, and 31.5 srm

My thoughts for the imperial are:
20lbs Maris otter
2lb munich
1lb 40L
8oz chocolate malt
8oz black patent
1.5 oz Columbus at 60
2oz Cascade at 10
for about 10.2%ABV. 50 IBU, and 34.8 srm
All the goodies in the secondary for 3 months

Do I need to change more? Less?
Or am I gonna brew 5 gal of nastiness?

Thanks!

When I do big porters and stouts for whiskey sticks,i like to use 1-2 lbs per 5 gal of a flaked grain. roast 2 lbs of oatmeal for a stout,add rye for a little spice or flaked barley. You need those beers to finish low (for a big beer) and that can make for little mouth feel.
Also when doing over 1.060 beers my efficiency,goes down the tubes,as low as 65%. I need 26 lbs for a 1.092 (with my new 3 roller mill). I would add 2 lbs of flaked barley and have some DME on hand. That porter one looks tasty,mind if I brew it?

Oh, I ment to say I upgraded to a 62 qt coleman extreme and can now do a 1.092 first runnings and a 1.040 small beer. I'm still trying to get both to taste stoutish,but the small beer always tastes like a porter,a real good porter, and it's like getting a free beer or almost free.

Latest posts

Back