BIAB Recipe from left-over ingredients OG 1.092

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
I had some cracked grains lying around that needed to be used and the only fermenter available was my 3gal conical so I made the following recipe:

OG 1.092 Volume 2 gallons

Malt
6 lbs Pilsner
1.7 lbs Wheat
.25 Briess Extra Special Malt

Hops 35 IBU
Bittering .5oz Fuggles and .5 Hallertau
Flavor Aroma 1.25oz East Kent Goldings

Yeast 1 rehydrated S04 pack

Have no idea how it will turn out as I've never made such a big beer before. As it is such a big beer I'm thinking about leaving it 3 weeks in the fermenter and bottle condition them for at least a month.

Can anybody share their opinion on how they think it will turn out or have a suggestion on how to handle this beast. Im interested in seeing how S04 will work this wort as I've never used it before now but from what I've read it's powerful! I'm fermenting it at 62 right now and plan to slowly move it to 68-los70s for conditioning. I'm hoping it ends close to 1.020 which would correspond with 75% attenuation.

No expert on recipes and styles of beer by no means, but do you think the IBUs are a little on the low side for the OG and FG? Just thinking you'll want some significant hop presence to balance it out, but what do I know...

Agree with the above somewhat, looks like you underpitched and the high og will cause some unhappy yeasts so I just hope it makes it to 1.020. Low hopped as well, I'd probably pick up some more hops and make a hop tea to add to the fermenter.

Age it. It will be hot like jet fuel in two gallons. Once gravity finishes keg or bottle it and wait 3 months

I did make it intentionally malty... Was thinking more like a dessert high alcohol beer and just to have something different I can go to every once in a while. I hope the marshmallow flavor from the extra special malt comes through. If it turns out to be decent ill call it extra special ale.

After 16 days its down to 1.020! Doesn't even taste bad either. The fruity esters from the s04 come out nicely with the warming alcohol presence. Not too sweet not bitter seems good so far.

Back