Better Temperature for Oaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I brewed up a 5 gallon batch of Wee Heavy, 1.078/1.023, three weeks ago. Today I bottled two gallons as is. The other three gallons I racked onto 0.70 ounces of medium toast French oak cubes which were soaked in 4 ounces of Oban 14 single malt scotch.

I have two ambient temperatures in my house which I could let this age. 68 degrees upstairs or 54-58 degrees in my basement. I know the cooler temps will slow the aging process.

I'm leaning towards using the basement, 54-58 degrees, since I am in no rush to bottle this. However, I thought I'd ask the community which temperature they would recommend.

This is only the second time I've oaked a beer and the first time I'm using cubes. I'm hoping for some input with the nuances of oak aging beer.

If I was able to choose I would go with the 54-58 degrees. How long do you plan on aging it for?

I was going to keep it on the oak until I thought it tasted ready. Planning on checking it once a week or so after 4 weeks.

I oaked by putting cubes in 11 ounces of makers mark Bourbon in a jar and alternating putting it in the refrigerator and then removing it. This causes the wood to expand and contract.

I've been oaking in a room that has had a fair bit of temperate fluctuation, though mostly in the 60's. I got a pretty good oak flavor in a bit over a month so I don't think it will matter too much if you have the time.

Back