Better Call Saul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More references in the 4th episode of this season - the gun guy Mike goes to is the same guy Walt goes to in BB. The third episode did a good job with the tv commercial and leaving us hanging thinking Jimmy was gonna get fired. The 4th episode was somewhat unproductive on the Jimmy front, but focusing more on Mike. I know @Brettomomyces felt it is moving slow, but that is one of the reason I really enjoy this show. It is well put together and makes you think - a pleasant change from the bang-bang shootem up stuff on every other channel

forgot he was in BB. remembered him from Deadwood & Justified

I think I like that it's moving slow, it fits the tone of the whole show. it's not an action movie.

I like that, like Breaking Bad, there seems to be a direction to it. that's it's pretty much thought out from start to finish. at the end of BB, you could see there was a logical arc to the entire show, that it ended the way it was supposed to end. unlike Dexter, which struggled after getting 1/2 way thru and looked thrown together, rushed and a big crappy mess. or like Lost, where somewhere in the middle they thought, "oh, crap, we've run out of actual story, we need to think up some more weird ****"

More references in the 4th episode of this season - the gun guy Mike goes to is the same guy Walt goes to in BB. The third episode did a good job with the tv commercial and leaving us hanging thinking Jimmy was gonna get fired. The 4th episode was somewhat unproductive on the Jimmy front, but focusing more on Mike. I know @Brettomomyces felt it is moving slow, but that is one of the reason I really enjoy this show. It is well put together and makes you think - a pleasant change from the bang-bang shootem up stuff on every other channel

Also Crazy 8 working for Tuco.

First off, Mike shoulda got his own spinoff show.

Second, how could he not foresee there would be blowback from getting involved with Salamancas in a way that let them know his name?

Seems like Mike is going through a similar arc as Jimmy, clever plans and doing the right-ish thing just isn't going his way.

Chuck's story to Kim about Jimmy and the corner store...truthful? Accurate? Will it forever sour Kim on Jimmy? Is Kim gonna start job hunting?

Chuck had a wife? What happened to that?

And it occurs to me that we still have not seen any of these legendary attorneys (or Jimmy) in a court room yet. Who thinks there will eventually be an in-court showdown of Jimmy v Chuck? Or at least v Hamlin, or v both?

How could he not foresee there would be blowback from getting involved with Salamancas in a way that let them know his name?

My wife and I discussed this exact thing after the previous episode.
We firstly agreed that having seen BB, we were in the "know zone" as to who the Salamancas were.
SWMBO commented that something must change because Tuco gets 8 yrs and that would have him incarcerated during BB, so we figured that something has to give.

Did Mike simply not research enough? I think that you may be spot on with the "do the right thing" is biting him in the a$$

His expression after Don Salamanca gets up and leaves is like "Oh $h!t"

How are we not discussing his show more? Only one episode left!

It's so interesting that certain principles or character traits continue to bite people in he butt. Mike with his conscience and not killing the driver (who def saw his car behind he billboard).

Kim knowing Jimmy did it but wants to retain Mesa Verde and be on her own enough to back the story by telling Chuck he is a liar.

Such a good show, not sure how they will wrap things up or if they will leave a big cliffhanger for next season

Seems like Mike is going through a similar arc as Jimmy, clever plans and doing the right-ish thing just isn't going his way.

It's Breaking Bad all over again. We get to see these 2 somewhat moral people devolve into what they became in Breaking Bad. I assume Kim has some tragic fate in store for her as well. We know what eventually happens to Mike, and we got a glimpse of future Jimmy at the beginning of the series.

That's what I like about it. We know what's coming, but we still get to watch it all slowly unwind. I felt the same way about Boardwalk Empire.

BTW - Mike is also my favorite character. I think he could carry his own show.

It's Breaking Bad all over again. We get to see these 2 somewhat moral people devolve into what they became in Breaking Bad. I assume Kim has some tragic fate in store for her as well. We know what eventually happens to Mike, and we got a glimpse of future Jimmy at the beginning of the series.

That's what I like about it. We know what's coming, but we still get to watch it all slowly unwind. I felt the same way about Boardwalk Empire.

BTW - Mike is also my favorite character. I think he could carry his own show.

I will disagree that jimmy is "somewhat moral".
I think Jimmy learned how to grift early to get what he wanted or needed.

I think jimmy is moral in a very grey, ambiguous way!

But great season. I love the deliberate story telling pace. I enjoyed the same pace with BB and Mad Men.
They are telling a story at their pace. They will get there and you will wait for it.

Finally- Micheal McKeon (AKA David St Hubbins) is absolutely killing it as Chuck !!!
His ego coming out and subsequent breakdown in court were epic!

Finally- Micheal McKeon (AKA David St Hubbins) is absolutely killing it as Chuck !!!
His ego coming out and subsequent breakdown in court were epic!

He is portraying that character very well indeed.
Sadly (or maybe not because he is such a dill hole) I think that the blast to his skull in the print shop may very possibly be the beginning of the end for poor chucky

Sadly I think Jimmy's concern for his brother will make him rush into the print shop and give away the whole debacle. Perhaps he will be brought up on a laundry list of charges and is forced into a position where he is forced to abandon the name McGill.

We clearly see the hesitation to blow his cover, there's definitely a crisis of conscience. Maybe he loses everything including Kim and that's the last straw that makes him go all the way criminal. Nothing left to lose.

Yes Michael McKean is awesome, and Odenkirk, and Jonathan Banks, and Patrick Fabian, and holy crap Rhea Seehorn has been killing it this season!

What a great show! I absolutely love the slow burn, patient and balanced construction of a beautiful ecosystem and I can't wait to watch the slow motion mushroom cloud I think is about to touch off.

Jimmy and Chuck are both trouble. Chuck is an ego manic basket case, and Jimmy keeps getting his friends in trouble with his slick ways.

Mike is very street smart, but made a huge mistake by not shooting Tuco. And his game with the salamancas just cost an innocent person their life.

Great show, should b a great finale.

speculation from the previews for the finale and what we know from Breaking Bad: Mike will be responsible for Hector's inability to walk or talk

I have a feeling Jimmy is finally going to have Chuck committed. Might be a good way to take care of his forgery problem.

I figured as soon as we saw Hector taking that pill when he was getting that debrief from Nacho and that other guy, Mike was going to do something and cause him to have a stroke and that's how he ended up in the nursing home.

As for Chuck, what if getting hit on the head makes it so he's no longer EM sensitive? Then he becomes Jimmy's adversary? It seems like if they rake out Chuck and Hector, there's not a a lot of conflict left without bringing in someone else. I think there's still some tread on those tires so I'd like to see them explore the conflicts with Chuck and Hector a while longer.

I always figured Gus would show up at some point and Mike would somehow align himself with Gus and they'd both be responsible for putting Hector in a home.

This!!!!
I think there's still some tread on those tires so I'd like to see them explore the conflicts with Chuck and Hector a while longer.

I always figured Gus would show up at some point and Mike would somehow align himself with Gus and they'd both be responsible for putting Hector in a home.

Not to mention the show does not need to blow through all its villains & conflicts too quickly.
I don't anticipate the show going any more than 5 seasons, so why have to establish new adversaries?

Jimmy and Chuck are both trouble. Chuck is an ego manic basket case, and Jimmy keeps getting his friends in trouble with his slick ways.

Mike is very street smart, but made a huge mistake by not shooting Tuco. And his game with the salamancas just cost an innocent person their life

Great show, should b a great finale.

This reminded me of Mike's speech to Walt about no half measures.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il87uwkcyyI[/ame]

I love watching the struggle in Jimmy so desperately wanting the respect from his brother and his true love for Chuck but also realizing he is kind of sleazy and will never be Chuck. I also think this print shop scenario is the beginning of the end for Chuck in some form or another. As much as Jimmy loves his brother and wants him to be the best I believe he has had enough of Chuck brow and verbally beating him down for everything and not willing to bend for his brother like Jimmy does for him.

Kim is another great character. I fully believed she would side with Chuck when Chuck was confronting Jimmy about the forgery. At first I thought she decided to believe Jimmy out of love for Jimmy but now I think she has come to see the realities of the world. She wants her shot at stardom in the legal world and she knows she can do it by herself and for now she saw what is probably her greatest opportunity she will ever get and sold her soul to keep Mesa Verde and a little of her soul to Jimmy as well. She loves Chuck but she is in love with Jimmy and her career. Chuck all of a sudden became a road block. She needs Jimmy right now and Chuck would never truly support her as long as Jimmy is around.

Mike is awesome too. GREAT thinker even from his beginning getting into this business. Great show overall

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cKsgFf3c4[/ame]
I know it's more geared for the UFC heads, but still it's a funny video about Breaking Bad w/ Mike & Tio Salamanca

Seemed pretty obvious who left that note, right?

And I hate Chuck even more now. As soon as Jimmy started talking, I figured out what Chuck got out of the garage.

Chuck is a royal dick. I was hoping he would be stuck in a catatonic state for at least half a season.

Seemed pretty obvious who left that note, right?

And I hate Chuck even more now. As soon as Jimmy started talking, I figured out what Chuck got out of the garage.

My guess is Gus!

And yes Chuck is a schmuck! Michael McKeon once again absolutely kills it!

I ha assumed he went into te garage for duct tape and space blankets. But doesn't the fact that he can sit there and have the conversation unaffected while the tape player runs, just prove his condition is in his head.
I realize it is in his head, and think he is severely mentally ill, but for him to biring electricity into his house, he sure hates Jimmy!
Is it because he was the perfect accomplished son and he Mother still called for "Jimmy"?

So is this how Jimmy McGills reputation is destroyed and he has to practice under Saul Goodman?

Great episode!
Just this weekend, was out to dinner with friends who mentioned they tried BCS, but couldn't get into it, because it was slow.
I told them It is story telling. There is no Zombies, no vampires, no teen angst.
There is story telling, build up, drama and great acting!!!
Find me a show on TV that currently has that to the level of BCS!!!!

Great episode, I'm thinking it was an undercover cop (Hank) Who left the note.

Hank did not even cross my mind!

Another quick thought.
Jimmy has had every chance to bring electronics around Chuck, even at the last moment he grounds himself.
He genuinely cares for his brother and has refused to commit him, even though he should!
Chuck looks down at Jimmy!

Not that I want to see any characters go, but I am hoping that Chuck gets hit by lightning or run over by a electric company truck.

Yeah i was thinking of who left that note myself seemed like only one possible guy and explains how him and mike meet

That was my thought, but te anagram and the fact the Mike ends up working with Gus makes more sense.

Chuck is such an ******* ugh! Love to hate him haha. And as that article posted he is "so committed" to validating Jimmy's tampering of the Mesa Verde files and proving he is slipping Jimmy he plays him perfectly.

Setting up next season for some amazing drama.

I predict sh*t will hit he fan with Jimmy and Kim pretty soon next season

This is easily my favorite show on TV. I started watching BB shortly before BCS started (thank God for Netflix!). Funny on the half measure speech video Mike tells Walt when that girl back in Philly died, he would never let that happen again. Then we see him on the hill with a sniper rifle watching the truck driver he robbed get executed. Guess he "forgot" about that guy.

I agree with others thinking Gus left him the note. I'm hoping we see more of the characters from BB in this show. Does anyone think we see a bit of Walt and Jesse before the show actually ends or will they (if they are going to be in it) just be in the last episode of the show?

I love this show! :ban:

Going to bring this thread back to the forefront.

Binged the first two seasons over the weekend. I love this show. I think I like it better than Breaking Bad.

I'm interested to see how Jimmy becomes Saul.

I know I'm liking it just as much, maybe more than Breaking Bad.

spoilers in white text (if you haven't seen BB) highlight to reveal (sorry to mobile users, I don't think the white text works)

and, if anyone asks, I do think it's MUCH better to FINISH Breaking Bad before even starting Better Call Saul. the very first scene assumes you have

so scroll a little, maybe that will help

scroll a little more

just a little more

and SPOILER: two great characters in BCS who are not in BB, I don't think they will survive this show; Kim Wexler and Chuck McGill. both Rhea Seehorn and Michael McKean are OUTSTANDING in these roles. //END SPOILER

So first 3 episodes of season three done. I'm liking the start to this season so far. Great show, not nearly as good as BB.

I guess Mike is all in after last night's episode. I imagine you'll start to see him more and more as Gus's clean up man. I'm also thinking the season is going to end with Jimmy becoming Saul. The court room drama between Chuck and him is what's going to push him over imo. The little speech he told Chuck, before getting arrested, about "dying alone because of his condition" seemed ominous. Chuck's the smarter lawyer and I think that's what's going to cost Jimmy the case and fuel his resentment towards Chuck.

Anyone, who streams the show, watch the extras? I like the Pollos Hermanos Employee Guide with Gus. Hilarious.

It was interesting to see the beginnings of the Gus & Hector backstory that leads to the BB storylines. Best episode of the series so far.

Chuck's a smarter lawyer than Jimmy

I think Kim is smarter than both.

I agree.
However in the BB Universe Kim & Chuck are languishing in obscurity.
So the question becomes what happened to such great legal minds?

This is a great show that continues to build and excel!

Back